Fox 36 Grip2 lower leg service

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Gday rotorburners,

I have serviced many forks in the past (mostly lower leg services) and the time has come to strip and service my 2019 Grip2 Fox 36 fork. I see on the Fox website that instead of using the gold oil in both legs, you now need some special 5wt teflon infused oil in the Grip damper side of the fork. Anyone done this service? Can you get away with a generic 5wt fork oil? At $45 for 1 litre, I could service my fork 25 times, so seems like a bit of a waste for the backyard mechanic like myself where I would probably only do it 3 or 4 times (at most) before selling the bike anyway.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Damper side bath oil needs to match the damper oil with Grip 2 dampers, as oil is circulated through the lowers and ingested by the damper again.

There’s a good write up on the Cyclinic website: https://cyclinic.com.au/blogs/suspension/fox-36-fit-grip-2-updates-into-2019

Edit: You also need a lot more than 40cc if you’re servicing the damper too, and given that the damper oil can end up in the bath oil, it doesn’t seem to make sense to replace the bath oil without servicing the damper at the same time?

teK--

Eats Squid
Damper side bath oil needs to match the damper oil with Grip 2 dampers, as oil is circulated through the lowers and ingested by the damper again.

There’s a good write up on the Cyclinic website: https://cyclinic.com.au/blogs/suspension/fox-36-fit-grip-2-updates-into-2019

Edit: You also need a lot more than 40cc if you’re servicing the damper too, and given that the damper oil can end up in the bath oil, it doesn’t seem to make sense to replace the bath oil without servicing the damper at the same time?
What this guy said.

If you want to do the service yourself, it is not a lot of money to buy a bottle of the correct fluid considering you don't have to pay someone else the labour.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice - makes sense that the bath oil needs to be the same as the damper given it is circulated. Will investigate servicing the damper as well while its apart.