Fox DHX 4 shock psi level

scorpia26

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, just need alil help.
I weigh 80kg and just wondering how much psi should i put in the piggy back chamber.

Thanks for you help

dhdave199

Likes Dirt
I have around 100psi with a 350 pound spring and im almost 70kg if tyhat helps so mabay 400 pound spring or about 110-120psi.
Depends how you like it.

supergayracer

Likes Dirt
always run 120 psi on a DHX, then change spring rates if you need softer or harder.... don't use air pressure to tune the stiffness, use the spring rates..

tnankie

Likes Dirt
depends on your bike and the way you like it setup. I use the opposite of gayracer. I set my sag with the spring rate and then use the boost valve to adjust the compression dampening aka plushness. so it ranges from 75psi (DH) to about 110psi (XC)

scorpia26

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the coming help. But just curious, the shock says minimum 125psi.
why do you guys suggest lower psi?

Still thanks alot for the info :)

Last edited:

tnankie

Likes Dirt
you sure? mine says min 75psi. (05 DHX air) And I was told that nothing has changed inside them since then....

DJR

Likes Dirt
you have a dhx coil don't you, not an air model... so yeah, 125psi minimum

75psi is for a dhx air (i think it's a 50 minimum in the piggback on mine)

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a question. My manual say minimum air pressure is 125 psi but on my shock (Fox DH3.0) is says 75 psi minimum. Which one should I go with?

vitaly2007

Cannon Fodder
I got Fox DHX 4 coil adjustment problem

Hi I recently baught a dhx 4 coil spring 400x2.80. My problem is when I jump like 5 foot or more or even just ride down a big staires rally, I hit ma rear shock to end all the time and I dont find that normal.
Cause I weight 75 kl and ma psi is like 140 and shock is 400x2.80 and I feel it to weak on the resistance for ma jump.

I see lot of big shocks that have long springs and I tod maybe I should put the same one ? like a 600x3.19 ??

Pleas let me know on this issue cause I think I hit my shock to end to often and its not good.

Any suggestions pleas

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi I recently baught a dhx 4 coil spring 400x2.80. My problem is when I jump like 5 foot or more or even just ride down a big staires rally, I hit ma rear shock to end all the time and I dont find that normal.
Cause I weight 75 kl and ma psi is like 140 and shock is 400x2.80 and I feel it to weak on the resistance for ma jump.

I see lot of big shocks that have long springs and I tod maybe I should put the same one ? like a 600x3.19 ??

Pleas let me know on this issue cause I think I hit my shock to end to often and its not good.

Any suggestions pleas
1. Welcome to Rotorburn.
2. Read the rules - SPEAK ENGLISH, no da ín da hood spk....
3. Im thinking you need a 500, or 550 x2.8 spring......
4. What bike?

k_d

Likes Dirt
Back on topic.

I was told (a little while back so this might not be 100% right) that the 75 psi (written on the shock body) is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM that you can run, and that the pressure in the manual (usually around 125psi) was the recomended pressure to ensure the long life of the seals.

This is what I was told, so I cant guarantee that this is 100% correct.

Also, Usually in the manual there is a very rough guide as to how much pressure you should be using. Failing that, trial and error is your friend.

nskz

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, just need alil help.
I weigh 80kg and just wondering how much psi should i put in the piggy back chamber.

Thanks for you help
How does the bike ride? Do you run any pro pedal? Depending on the year of DHX4 the boost valve min/max pressure may vary, '09 model is 125-200psi. The main effect of the boost valve is the vary the compression damping, more psi more compression damping and vice versa.

A good place to start is 125psi, see how it rides, does it feel like it has enough compression damping or is it blowing through it's travel fast. If yes then add a bit of psi and try again, just experiment. It varies massively between, bike, riding style etc. Unless you say, for example, I ride a giant glory with a 350lb spring etc etc it's pretty hard to come up with a definitive answer. Even then what suits rider A doesn't necessarily suit rider B.

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
It depends on the model of the the DHX, they vary in pressure minimum
The latest dhx require a lower minimum pressure as for the earlier DHX they require higher. They still have the same feel

Cheers Matt

HA.. you beat me to it nskz