Fox DHX 5.0 coil questions.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
A couple of questions for you shock gurus out there.

I have a Fox DHX 5.0 coil 8.5 X 2.5 (216x63), where the spring (2.8 X 500) is rubbing on the body of the shock.

I understand that Fox may have had different internal diameter Springs for the DHX and the Vanilla shocks. I roughly measured the internal diameter of the spring and it's around 35mm. I only have the good old fashioned ruler, so that's about as precise as I can get. From what I can tell, this is about right for the DHX. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Question 2, the spring retainer seems to fit very loosely (picture below) and have a lot of play on the shaft. Is this normal? Are there different size retainers for different shocks?

Thanks Rotorburners...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The spring retainer/seat on the DHX2 I had definitely wasn't loose like that. That looks abnormal IMO.

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
I could be wrong... did Fox have to change the shaft diameter in either the DHX5 or the RC4 to suit the Specialized demo frame as they were snapping?
From 12mm to 14mm?
Also, i'm fairly sure the dhx5 has a slightly smaller shaft diameter than the RC4 so you could have an RC4 retainer clip on there.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
is the hole in the retainer round? has the slot opened up?
It's round. No issues there.
I could be wrong... did Fox have to change the shaft diameter in either the DHX5 or the RC4 to suit the Specialized demo frame as they were snapping?
From 12mm to 14mm?
Also, i'm fairly sure the dhx5 has a slightly smaller shaft diameter than the RC4 so you could have an RC4 retainer clip on there.
Possibly, I'll have to have a measure and have a look.

_______

Is an alien from 2007
[edit] ^ there ya go [/edit]

might be an obvious question but: fox branded spring? not that it matters, because:

i vaguely remember some kinda spring sizing issues with fox coilovers: chuck a shifter (gently!) on the end of your shaft/eyelet and see if the dimensions match those quoted in this diagram to see if your retainer should match an RC2. Warning, all measurements in Freedom Units.

in any case your retainer is either wrong or busted, coulda been the dreaded "coil end lined up with the slot" (cf. "Changing springs" in the coil sections of https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/2008_om_eng.htm) scenario i suppose... that chamfer on the corner isn't supposed to be there...

Replace it, if it cants past the eyelet on one side (looks damn close) and you hit it hard it'll just snap the threads off the shaft: they're soft enough that I've torn them off along with the eyelet when previous techs have been overzealous with the loctite... 2 half shocks are not better than one and, well, you can guess what the compressed spring does if it lets go.

Attachments