Fox DHX Rebuild - Oil weight

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
G'day everyone...if anyone wants to know how to rebuild there DHX here are the steps...do it at your own risk... I used 5 weight oil but I think 7.5 weight would probably be better...but this is all personal preference on how you like your dampening, please note oil weight means nothing, viscousity is what counts, have a look at this site for real values: http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/lowspeed.htm

Step 1: Write Down all shock settings

Step 2: Depressurize the system.

Step 3: Take off spring, unscrew main body cap.

Step 4: Take Air Reservoir Cap off and remove Internal Floating Piston bolt.

Step 5: Open rebound dial all the way and push back the rebound rod all the way back in.

Step 6: Submerge the shock under the oil and fill with oil, try not to foam up the new oil with little air bubbles as you work. Tap the shock with a screwdriver to dislodge any air bubbles inside, they will rise if any.

Step 7:
Push and pull the main shaft in and out (about 1.5"depth) few times just so oil will flow thru the shims, piston, rebound hole, displacing the air out of the holes in the piston under the metal shims and also the air in the rebound rod return hole on the side of the shaft below the piston.

Step 8: Whilst still under oil close up main cap hand tight and withdraw from oil.

Step 9:
Use vernier callipers to measure depth of 33mm
from the top of the reservoir down to the outside diameter of the IFP. again Tap and tilt reservoir to make sure no air in the oil under the IFP. Re insert IFP centre bleed bolt, screw reservoir top cap back on, clean off all oil by rubbing alcohol paying close attention to the main body and reservoir body.

ORGINAL MESSAGE"

G'day all.....

Has anyone rebuilt a Fox DHX shock...I've rebuilt other shocks before but not the DHX and I have to refill it with oil because the collar on the shaft has come unscrewed blowing all its oil out and screwing the oring. The oring is sorted but I'm not sure what oil weight it uses possibly 5 to 10?????

Any ideas on oil weight would be great....thanks guys

Jeremy :)

Last edited: