Fox float R problems

bbspecial

Likes Dirt
Got a 2007 bike with a Float R air shock in the back. Been fine for the past 12 months, but a street commute on a 2deg day and started squelching, and leaking a bit of oil on to the shaft. Prior to this shaft was spotless.

Pulled the air can off to find 5cc of foamy oil and a bunch of grey stuff, which looks like oil and water combo, but might be the combined damper + air can oil/grease at different viscosities.

If I compress the damper 1cm on the bench I get a bunch of squelch and foamy oil on the shock shaft, although I'm not sure if this is because no air can pressure to counter the 400psi in the damper.

Not really Keen to spend $200 on a 'fox' service for a $300 bike. But thinking I might give it a shot myself after doing a few mx shocks, and reading this thread https://www.huckingkitty.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=680
I assume all I would need is the ifp and shaft orings, and a shrader valve. (Any aus sources?). Else I pop it back together and run it till I upgrade as it still seems to run pretty good for the 4" travel, and I've heard a few bleeding issues with the damper on other threads

Attachments

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I haven't messed with the IFP though and happy enough to leave that bit alone until I'm sure it needs it. Are you sure the IFP needs fixing though?

Without overthinking it all and if there is no obvious damage then maybe just a service with fresh fluids will do it? Maybe it has sucked in a bit of dampness over the past year.

A basic Fox service is here. Fox air shocks I've fooled with are a doddle to service.You can get new rings and all but you may get away with it if the current ones look fine.

bbspecial

Likes Dirt
Shock is 6.5 x 1.5.

It holds 150psi for months, so dont think the air seals need rebuilding. Just confirmation/denial of the foaming oil coming out of the damper shaft is normal, low pressure, or an oring leak in the damper.

As far as i can tell $20 for schrader valve + >$10 for 2 orings is pretty good (IFP ring is just cause I'm in there), at least it wont run out of oil that way (my main concern). And I like fiddling with things.
Else the $100 suntour from cycling deal seems pretty good, but still a 1/3 of an old bikes value

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The polyurethane O-Ring sealing between the damper rod and “bearing block” has failed. Bearing block is the raw aluminium part with the flats for a spanner.

To make this easy, you need a schrader value, there is an online source in Australia, google some of our old threads here.

Also need the damper rod to bearing block O-Ring, and bearing block to damper body o ring, and ifp O-Ring.

A shock pump on the schrader value is fine. Air is fine, don’t need nitrogen.

Measure your damper rod diameter, I’ll make you a tool on the lathe to let the bearing block with the polyurethane O-Ring slide back on, without it you will pinch the O-Ring and it will fail soon after.

30 bucks of parts and some patience you can fix it.

DON’T DROP THE PISTON HEAD/SHIM STACK!!! It’s the biggest first timers gotcha. Use a small zip tie threaded through the assembly. Drop it and the shins will go everywhere and then it gets tricky.

Take photos before you pull the pistol head off the damper rod, getting it on backwards will fuck with you for days.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
You'll also need a drill bit, a thread tap to fit the new valve, some thread sealant and a decent shock pump that goes over 400 psi, hydraulic oil. If you damage or mark the damper rod, it's game over.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honestly, get a pro to service it. High chance some of the shims in the assembly are worn with it being that old., The tiny o-rings at the top of the shock are a ticking time bomb and could blow out soon after a mini ifp service. It'll be fine for 5+ years after a a pro touches it.

Unless you want to learn how they work, or to set up your own shock servicing business.... the $189 at Cyclinic is a bargain.

bbspecial

Likes Dirt
Hmm, the polyurethane O-ring might be a pain. Any place to get them other than the complete kits from Israel ebay and Activesport.co? I might need to start emailing some oring shops, but will need some dimensions. Else I can strip it down in a week to get sizes.
Else any issue with a regular oring in bearing block? The RS forks seem to get away with it, and only issues I can think of is high stiction and maintenance, which arent of major concern if i can self service... unless 400psi pressure is too high to seal, although the ifp seal holds that.

Saw the old thread and can get the schrader from Tecknik suspension which is relatively close by.

Shaft is about 9.8mm, will get a vernier on it later. Got a lathe at home if thats any easier than posting? Assuming something similar to a bullet/tapered shape design on the shaft end? or feel free to pm.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Renseal in Melbourne do polyurethane. There is also a large online o ring store in QLD from memory who carry polyurethane O-Rings, but yes you can get away with a buna O-Ring instead of polyurethane. Try for n90

If you have your own lathe, awesome. You need to make a bullet shaped piece, can thread into the damper rod, or just sit snug inside the minor thread ID. The O-Ring slides up and onto the damper rod gently using the transition of your bullet tool.

And yes, you’ve found the supplier of schrader valves.