Fox- is it just the short way of saying 'sub-standard suspension'?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
For those prices it would want to be. With the extreme cost of aftermarket tuning for fox products, their original price needs to come down significantly. Look at the RRP on their forks, add the various DMan up grades, and...you'd probably come out ahead paying Link to make forks for you from scratch.
I'm just hoping I get a sticker or something. It's all about the sticker..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But it looks so modern. Also, it's future proof...both V brake AND cantilever compatible.
Looks to be adjustable between the major wheel sizes too. 24 and 26 compatible.

Halleluyah!! I hear you brother...
It's the sad truth now. Unless you pay a shitload of money you just don't get a bike where the components are properly matched. I can't get over how many new bikes I see that have great pikes on the front and a base evolution fox on the back...
I couldn't afford to replace my bike really because the upgrades would kill me.
I beg to differ...well a little. I've not purchased a bike off the shelf (unless having the intention of stripping it and rebuilding from the outset) for a long time. I just got.sick of always needing to upgrade and tune the components. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I tend to end up with bikes that I feel match up nicely for my riding style and don't require the sale of a kidney. Of course the idea cost is a complex Matrix. Too much is a personal decision. Time isn't something I factor into the cost either.

DMan

Looks to be adjustable between the major wheel sizes too. 24 and 26 compatible.

I beg to differ...well a little. I've not purchased a bike off the shelf (unless having the intention of stripping it and rebuilding from the outset) for a long time. I just got.sick of always needing to upgrade and tune the components. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I tend to end up with bikes that I feel match up nicely for my riding style and don't require the sale of a kidney. Of course the idea cost is a complex Matrix. Too much is a personal decision. Time isn't something I factor into the cost either.
I'm meaning buying a complete new bike, supposedly high end, off the shelf Poodle. I prefer to do what you do too. My GF now rides a great bike as proof.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That limits my frame brand options straight up. The frame with a rear shock I don't want, on its own is 5 grand or a complete bike with a 150 pike and a dropper post upfront is just over 6 grand. The other cheaper models of the brand all run a foxfloat fork with too short travel and mostly shit components. I want to jump on a bike and just ride it, so sick of fixing up 2nd hand shit or parts that have been fucked by a passion fingers. All my bikes up until now have been custom builds and being older frames I'm limited to what parts I can put on or find at a decent price without considering a whole new bike again. Can't friggin win :frusty:

That's so post-modern, man.

That limits my frame brand options straight up. The frame with a rear shock I don't want, on its own is 5 grand or a complete bike with a 150 pike and a dropper post upfront is just over 6 grand. The other cheaper models of the brand all run a foxfloat fork with too short travel and mostly shit components. I want to jump on a bike and just ride it, so sick of fixing up 2nd hand shit or parts that have been fucked by a passion fingers. All my bikes up until now have been custom builds and being older frames I'm limited to what parts I can put on or find at a decent price without considering a whole new bike again. Can't friggin win :frusty:
It certainly feels harder to find well-rounded builds these days.

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff

It certainly feels harder to find well-rounded builds these days.

At present, Canyon seem to be doing a good job at this. You just need to be able to get past the direct to consumer model.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I'm meaning buying a complete new bike, supposedly high end, off the shelf Poodle. I prefer to do what you do too. My GF now rides a great bike as proof.
Currently doing this for the wife and after spending all last weekend going round the shops, working out sizing then standing there and picking the builds apart, I'm back looking at sourcing a frame only and swapping parts from her current ride. I have to admit some of the builds on the bikes we were looking at in the $4k- $6k range were just woeful. Just cheap shit subbed in to cut down the price :rant:

DMan

Currently doing this for the wife and after spending all last weekend going round the shops, working out sizing then standing there and picking the builds apart, I'm back looking at sourcing a frame only and swapping parts from her current ride. I have to admit some of the builds on the bikes we were looking at in the $4k- $6k range were just woeful. Just cheap shit subbed in to cut down the price :rant:
I hear your pain buddy. Exactly our problem. We ended up buying a lower spec bike for the frame and wheels. It took a while but after recently fitting the Revs I think we're finally there. She's wrapped with it. I looked at updating mine. But to get something along my spec is over 5K! Admittedly it was a great deal as I paid $2500 but it only retailed for $3400. Full XT, factory fox both ends.

Ivan

Eats Squid

I was feeling the same way too, looking at $4.5K bikes, but I actually found 2 that I was (nearly) completely happy with the spec on. And there was one $3.2K bike that was decent too.

Thats how i ended up with a 2016 Fox 34 :behindsofa:. It's pretty sweet so far.

Last edited:

DJR

Likes Dirt
anyone who has ever bleed a shock the way a RS manual tells you to and ridden it and thought it worked well is on drugs, or doesn't understand anything about bikes
Just out of interest what's your method for bleeding RS shocks? Please don't say oil bath assembly. Screw a syringe/container onto the bleed port and cycle after doing their bleed via the IFP (monarch plus, other way round for a non-piggyback)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is this your way of asking for another package?

I must be missing something? I love hunting down my parts and matching it all up, sitting down and putting it all together, and the greatest Joy? Opening all the little presents I send myself!

Also the option of buying the frame you want as a complete bike and flipping all the parts (you know for massive profit!) then building it up how you like works...but.if you don't want to spend the time there is no solution.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I must be missing something? I love hunting down my parts and matching it all up, sitting down and putting it all together, and the greatest Joy? Opening all the little presents I send myself!.
My early life was all this, it was actually my profession. I have lost count how many performance cars I have built up over the years, I get sick as soon as I look at a car now. The novelty has clearly worn off.
Also the option of buying the frame you want as a complete bike and flipping all the parts (you know for massive profit!) then building it up how you like works...but.if you don't want to spend the time there is no solution.
This is the option I think poodle, waiting to see if they drop in price or the 2017 model has more to offer.

turbo.JPG

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
My early life was all this, it was actually my profession. I have lost count how many performance cars I have built up over the years, I get sick as soon as I look at a car now. The novelty has clearly worn off.

This is the option I think poodle, waiting to see if they drop in price or the 2017 model has more to offer.

View attachment 326870
Dialing the cams?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

View attachment 326870
Looks like the next evolution of the e-bike!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Dialing the cams?
Yep, back in the day when you couldn't get a twin cam 1600 Suzuki engine, I grafted a twincam 1300 Suzuki head to a 1600 bottom end then bolted a hair dryer onto it. It went into a gti swift.

Looks like the next evolution of the e-bike!
I would love to see it in a drag bike but it used to smoke the tyres up at a 120k/h when you would just accelerate. It was the scariest car on earth to drive being a front wheel drive. It was originally built to use nitrous off the line but it was just too lethal on the road as it was, the owner got married and ran out of money.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Looks like it, with non adjustable cam pulleys, where real men make custom woodruff keys to bring the timing in.

Nice chair btw.
Look closely. That chair is older than me, it was my grandfathers from the sixties.

new.jpg

Last edited: