Fox or Marzocchi

Culley

Likes Dirt
I'm currently building up a 2014 Banshee Rune and after peoples opinion on choice of forks?

after much much research its come down two forks
the Fox 36 Float RC2 Fit 160mm -$1100
or the Marzocchi 55CR 170mm -$770

both are 2014 models and have 20mm axle and tapered

id like some help deciding , I've never read a bad review about the 55CR. it is a little heavier than the float but is supposed to only need minimal service and be super plush

as for the Fox, i have 2 pairs of fox forks already so i know all the ins and outs of them for set up etc but I'm not seeing as much positivity towards them
i love the look of them and they sure are a favourite amongst riders

so what you people think? take a punt and save some cash or stick to what i know??

moorey

call me Mia
Zocci would be my choice. Mate just got some 55cr, the feel shits on any fox I've ridden. Cheaper and low maintenance seals the deal.

indica

Serial flasher
Marzocchi.
Why - for me it would be a "just 'cos".
Good reviews, if it is true and they are back on form then it's a win. They look good too.

brendonj

Likes Dirt
Either will do the job well I reckon. You should chose based more on your preference for travel and then maybe cost vs weight preferences. My 2 cents.

moorey

call me Mia
Cool. Assumed so. Stupid move, being 15mm only I reckon. Though all my wheels are 15/20mm adaptable, I prefer 20mm forks still. Love to get me a set of sh pikes or 55's one of these days.

oriion

Likes Dirt
take a punt and save some cash or stick to what i know??
Take a punt and just get yourself some pikes, I know you stated you want 20mm - but why? Is it because of your existing wheel setup? Are you worried about flex/strength/stability? Have you actually ridden and tested some pikes?

Not saying that you are on it - but I think the whole 20mm thing these days is a bandwagon being ridden by people that actually haven't tried anything other to have a sound comparison, or at least opened up to other possibilities.

food for thought.

moorey

call me Mia
You're making a big assumption there. OP's wheels might not be convertable, and he might want to keep them. I have both, and don't find there's any noticeable advantage to the 20mm, it's just a preference thing.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Take a punt and just get yourself some pikes, I know you stated you want 20mm - but why? Is it because of your existing wheel setup? Are you worried about flex/strength/stability? Have you actually ridden and tested some pikes?

Not saying that you are on it - but I think the whole 20mm thing these days is a bandwagon being ridden nces, why? people that actually haven't tried anything other to have a sound comparison, or at least opened up to other possibilities.

food for thought.
what's your commission on a set of pikes being sold? And what are the recyclers paying you per 20mm axle? There are plenty of bandwagons Rollin through the prairies out yonder, and a thousand sound comparisons to be made. You assume the OP is unjustified in his preferences, why?

oriion

Likes Dirt
but why? Is it because of your existing wheel setup? Are you worried about flex/strength/stability? Have you actually ridden and tested some pikes? .
'

I'm not assuming anything, i've asked 3 legitimate questions in my original post, i'm not attacking the guy, and haven't acused him of being on any bandwagons.

And no, i'm not getting any commission on pikes, i've just happened to be riding a set, and can make comparisons to all 3 mentioned sets of forks discussed in his post.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Im running chris king 20mm hubs up front with fox 36's with kashima etc, it really is a great combo, i have serviced them once and they run like a dream, they have copped a pounding and always come back for more, i have never ridden marzocchi so i cant give you a comparison there, although i have ridden pikes and revelations, i found them plusher than my 36's, but the 36's have definitely less flex, that was noticible, and i prefer the stronger feel of it!

Culley

Likes Dirt

Not saying that you are on it - but I think the whole 20mm thing these days is a bandwagon being ridden by people that actually haven't tried anything other to have a sound comparison, or at least opened up to other possibilities.

food for thought.
you make a good point, i hadn't really considered the Pike at all
i do have a wheel set already yes with a 20mm so thats kind of the reason why i was steered towards these two forks.
i have no doubt that a 15mm axle would be fine and these days I'm sure there would be next to no noticeable difference in the two for me.

as for what riding i do well i ride dh and this new bike was going to be my do it all bike and eventually sell off my dh bike so id like something that can take a beating on a rough track and help me ride back up to the top again but also is great on a 35km ride.
im creeping onto 100kgs too so i have to consider that

whats your thoughts on the pikes performance on rough conditions? there is a huge weight gain with the 160mm and what is the Stanchions size?

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Been running 55s on my trail bikes for the last few years. had 2010 55rc3ti and now Im on the 2012 55rc3ti. There about to get swapped over to my new Rune for this summer. Full season in Whistler with lots of racing and bike park laps as well, all will one service. Couldnt ask for anything more out of them!!! Same goes with my 888s. Marzocchi have been in fine form since 2010 imo

oriion

Likes Dirt
whats your thoughts on the pikes performance on rough conditions? there is a huge weight gain with the 160mm and what is the Stanchions size?
So far so good, buttery smooth, nice and stiff, little to zero flex I have noticed. The 15mm I thought was going to be an issue, but it's anything but, i cannot see any benefits in sticking with 20mm, unless like previously stated you have wheels you don't want to change etc.

I haven't pushed mine in any real super rough conditions but I am 114KG and have thrown them into some solid rock gardens and they make me smile and havent given me any problems yet.

Pikes stanchion size is 35mm and weigh 1.8kg (my 27.5 ones do at least / 160mm Solo air ) - which is lighter than both the fox 36 and the zochi.

The zochi's i did like the tracking and they felt nice and smooth, but i blew a seal and they screwed up pretty quickly. The Fox 36 i felt dived through the travel too quickly for my fatass, even after tweaking the settings, even changing oils.

the whole 15v20mm thing appears to be a thing of the past, 18 months ago i might have had something to say about it, but not now, technology has changed a lot.

just my 2c , i'm sure the peanut gallery will say otherwise, that's for them to decide.

moorey

call me Mia
And until recently, trail and xc wheels seemed to come solely as 15mm, and fr and DH wheels came solely as 20mm. The prevalence of affordable convertible hubs (looking at you, hope), has also changed how many of us use our wheels.

DJR

Likes Dirt
personally I would probably go for the 55CR - the CR damper has now gone into their latest 888 DH forks, seems to be a good cartridge design and from reviews, is plush as. Only minor issue is lack of travel adjust or lockout, but that's pretty minor really. You can always put the spacer internally to make them a 150mm fork.

Unless you get a good deal on the foxes that brings the price down a bit the zokes are great value as far as i can see