Fox RP23 propedal position

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Hi all, I'm trying to work out what way the switch on a fox rp23 should be for propedal to be on and off.

The image on the fox site contradicts everyone else i've asked. Eg. all riders i've seen and asked reckon the lever should be pointed away from the airvalve to be 'open' and to the airvalve for 'propedal'. But this image shows the opposite.

propedal_rp23.jpg

Real confused.. ??

Thanks
Joel

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What year is the shock?
The older models used to be open, or with the propedal on (and set by the dial at 1-2-3, which is what your pic shows)
The newer models have open-1-2, or 3 firm, changed based on rider feedback apparently (or should that be allegedly)
Can't remember which side my airvalve is on, think when 3-firm is engaged it is towards the air valve.
Al..

moorey

call me Mia
I've had 3, ranging from 2007 to currently a 2012..like zee goggles, zey do nothing. On my dhx air shocks, yes, magnificent. On rp23, not so much. And 1,2,3? It never sits on 2 anyway. Only 1 or 3.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Sorry I think I didn't explain that right.. I'm confused not what way the dial goes.. It is what way the lever goes for open & propedal?
Cheers
Joel

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Also, if you can't tell the difference between propedal on and off you shock probably needs a service as the pressure in the IFP will be low. The next thing you will observe is fluid leaking out the rebound/propedal adjuster as the shock's design requires IFP pressure to keep the rebound adjuster needle seated and sealing the adjuster knob.

If you have the adaptive logic version you may not be able to feel the difference if you have it set to "2", as the "3" to "2" diff may not be much, particular if its the boostvalve version.

The easy way to tell the open or closed position of the lever is that the lever is spring loaded toward the open (pro-pedal off) position. To turn propedal on, the lever actuates a cam inside that preloads the PP stack. You can feel the lever doing this.

John U

MTB Precision
Set the lever one way and push down on your seat, set the lever the other way and push down on your seat.

There should be a reasonable difference between the 2 positions. With pp on the shock will be stiff, and with pp off the shock should sink into it's travel.

If you ever forget just repeat the process. Given I've got few bikes I find myself doing this a bit.

Fox should have proper labels for their dials on their shocks and forks like Rock Shox do but that is a whole other thread.

moorey

call me Mia
Set the lever one way and push down on your seat, set the lever the other way and push down on your seat.

There should be a reasonable difference between the 2 positions. With pp on the shock will be stiff, and with pp off the shock should sink into it's travel.
nope. None of my 3 have made a discernible difference. :noidea:

willsy01

Eats Squid
You've had three duds then. My old RP2 and my new RP23 have both made a marked difference in low speed compression.

John U

MTB Precision
Might be your shocks. I've had a couple of RP3's and a couple of RP23's and all work as specified. Are you able to swap out the DHX air with the RP23 to see how the shocks behave differently between the bikes?

I say do the push test because the platform shouldn't be influenced too much by the suspension design for this test, where when riding the shock may behave very differently between designs.

moorey

call me Mia
You've had three duds then. My old RP2 and my new RP23 have both made a marked difference in low speed compression.
No one I know running them can tell either. The gate on my RS monarch shocks made a difference, and the propedal on the dhx air makes a huge difference though.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Yeah I can't notice any difference.. if I pedal up a hill i can put the o-ring in position and same hill, propedal on or off (no idea atm which way is which) the travel used is the same.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
The easy way to tell the open or closed position of the lever is that the lever is spring loaded toward the open (pro-pedal off) position. To turn propedal on, the lever actuates a cam inside that preloads the PP stack. You can feel the lever doing this.
That pretty much answers it and confirms what most say.. I think due to looking at the newer diagram it was different.. I think i'll just leave it open though as doesn't seem much different if at all with propedal on. Or like others have said maybe it needs a service though it only has 10hrs or so of riding on it..

willsy01

Eats Squid
Yeah I can't notice any difference.. if I pedal up a hill i can put the o-ring in position and same hill, propedal on or off (no idea atm which way is which) the travel used is the same.
It's not meant to limit the travel. It slows it down.

moorey

call me Mia
It's not meant to limit the travel. It slows it down.
On my DHX airs, its a distinct platform, that you can feel it pause at if you don't blow through it. I'm not expecting the same feel from an RP23, but SOMETHING would be nice....:drama:

willsy01

Eats Squid
Well I can confirm that mine was working whilst I was struggling not to vomit out at Mt Annan yesterday.

moorey

call me Mia
Well I can confirm that mine was working whilst I was struggling not to vomit out at Mt Annan yesterday.
Are you sure its not psychosomatic (confirmation bias)? I know I sometimes pedal differently when I flick it on for a climb....just sayin is all...