Fractured Rib Recovery Suggestions

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
I have just fractured my fourth and fifth ribs and and bruised a couple of the lower ribs. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to help speed up the recovery process.

al_

Likes Dirt
I fractured a couple of my lower ribs in late november and messed up a couple on the other side two years ago. Just give them time and avoid things that hurt. Both times it has taken me the best part of a month to be able to function normally, and another few weeks after that for the pain to go away completely.

I've been surprised by what I was and wasn't able to do this time though. I was riding to work very gently within three days, but using the mouse on my work computer was agonising. Breathing deeply was horrible for about a week, sleeping was awful and sneezing or coughing was torture. I just tried to avoid the things that hurt and was still able to function reasonably well though.

Just be patient. Rushing back into things will just make them worse and delay your recovery.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Yeah no laughing, coughing, sneezing or hugging for 6 weeks and pray you don't get one of those cases of perrenial hiccups!

I fractured a rib a few years ago surfing, continued to surf that day but the next day it was really sore and I just couldn't get to my feet without excrutiating pain. As I recall though it wasn't bad after a 3-4 weeks. Good luck with it.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Take it easy, rest,rest,rest, I busted 5, 2 of which were already fractured that ended up puncturing my lung.

I was 3.5 weeks into recovery of those two and had a handle bar to the chest, ruptured spleen, 5 broken ribs a punctured lung. Put into n induced coma and on life support for 10 days.

That was mid June, I'm still in pain and struggle to lay or can't sleep on my left side.

I've cracked plenty of ribs over the years but I now know to let them heal correctly before my next off...

I'm 33 so I don't bounce aswell as I used too and a handle bar makes short work of good ribs I know but still it was the two previously damaged that punctured my lung, I think, maybe not...

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all or the advise guys. As you have said sleeping is not a pleasant experience and neither are sudden movements. Looks like I have a few weeks of rest ahead. Thanks again.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Thanks for all or the advise guys. As you have said sleeping is not a pleasant experience and neither are sudden movements. Looks like I have a few weeks of rest ahead. Thanks again.
Might be worth trying sleeping on a wedge pillow - can be bought at medical supply places - it forces you to sleep on your back - takes a day or 2 to get used to, but because you dont rollover, you dont wake up as much. Also if you have a GP that knows you well, ask them about pain relief - endone tabs with paracetamol work pretty damn well (and much better than panadeine forte) just for night time.

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
Might be worth trying sleeping on a wedge pillow - can be bought at medical supply places - it forces you to sleep on your back - takes a day or 2 to get used to, but because you dont rollover, you dont wake up as much. Also if you have a GP that knows you well, ask them about pain relief - endone tabs with paracetamol work pretty damn well (and much better than panadeine forte) just for night time.
Thanks I will check out the pillow and I do know my GP very well, he also rides mtb, so I will see him about the endone tabs.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Yeah I remember sleeping in a more upright position helped too just for the first week as I recall. I also remember having to roll off the bed onto all 4s then get up :lol: I couldn't sit up from a lying down position.

MARKL

Eats Squid
You can't do anything really to speed up the recovery time basic rule seems to be 6 weeks they are starting to feel good and just about 100% after 8 weeks. The important thing to do, aside from rest, is deep breathing exercises morning and night for a couple of minutes. Basically you tend to breathe shallowly when you have broken ribs and this makes you prone to lung infections.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Another fractured rib sufferer here, I also fractured 2 vertebrae. Happened new years eve, was back commuting this week, took panadol and voltaren religiously for the first two weeks, codeine to help sleep. Only taking codeine at night now. I've been doing breathing and coughing exercises to try to avoid lung infection without success (got chest infection 2 daus ago). Sneezing is still the real killer. I reckon once I can sneeze in reasonable comfort I will be ready to get back out on the trails. In the meantime its road only.

I would warn people off taking endone, it is a strong opiate that can be very addictive. I was on endone after ACL reco andnoticed signs of addictive dependency in less than a week. I suffered serious withdrawal symptoms for a while. 2 years later, just thinking about endone makes me feel the "addict bliss". It's known as 'housewife heroin' for good reason - equally addictive and potentially destructive but easily accessible.

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
Good luck with your recovery subeke, you must have had a big fall. I sneezed yesterday (broke ribs on Dec 30) and the pain was minimal so I guess I'll be riding trails again soon.

I spoke to my doc about endone and he was very relucant to prescribe them due to their addictive nature.