Frame for me?????

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
I know, your probs all thinking "Oh shit, another frame request!" but i have certain needs compared to other kids just saying i need a frame fullstop, so please dont get too pissed at me:rolleyes:

But anyways i've been thinking of building up a new bike for my DJ/ minimal street/ maybe even 4x? needs because the giant brass just aint cuttin it:rolleyes: So i've been thinking about buying a frame that has vertical dropouts, as im thinking of running gears ( Give me your opinion on SS or Gears:)) and just slowly building it up, maybe taking off the brass's wheelset and putting it on the new bike, but the trouble is that wtf would i do with half a brass? ( give me a PM if you happen to want one as i could arrange something:D) So give me your veiws on this aswell please.

Sorry guys gettin a little sidetracked, ok then, im looking for a hardtail frame, vertical dropouts, not a full on 4x frame, 2nd hand or very very cheap brand new:eek:. My price range will probs be $400 max, so give me an idea on what i should look around for as i want this to be my last DJ bike:)

Your help will be appreciated,

EDIT: Please do not PM me urging me to buy one of your frames, as i am still deciding if i will even do this project or not, so just put up a link in a post if you have to do it:)
Cheers, Will

Last edited:

avanti

Squid
hi

yes run gears it will be more bennificial in the long term and a bike that is classified as dj and 4x is usualy good as its good for dj but doesnt feel like its going to snap under you also more durable if you go with gears get a good chain guide other wise you will be pissed with it falling off and you hurting your self as a result which usualy happens when ur crankin it and your chain comes off good luck will

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
yes run gears it will be more bennificial in the long term and a bike that is classified as dj and 4x is usualy good as its good for dj but doesnt feel like its going to snap under you also more durable if you go with gears get a good chain guide other wise you will be pissed with it falling off and you hurting your self as a result which usualy happens when ur crankin it and your chain comes off good luck will
Cheers tom ill take it into much consideration:)

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you want it for a little bit of 4x gears wouldent be a bad idea. check out the blk mrkt mob 4x, its a mob with vertical drop outs and slightly diffrent geo to the standard mob. not sure if you will be able to et one 2nd hand, i rember seeing one on here a while back pritty cheap.

scott

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
if you want it for a little bit of 4x gears wouldent be a bad idea. check out the blk mrkt mob 4x, its a mob with vertical drop outs and slightly diffrent geo to the standard mob. not sure if you will be able to et one 2nd hand, i rember seeing one on here a while back pritty cheap.

scott
Cheers mate i actually havent heard of the 4x mob before, so great though:p

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
this one should be perfect for you!!!
dartmoor two6player, alloy, 1.95kg, $339 and come in many cool colours
http://www.fearlesscycles.com.au/two6player.html
-win:cool:

edit: has horizontal dropouts so only single speed, may be some sort of way to run gears?

:rolleyes:re-edit: DM hornet http://www.fearlesscycles.com.au/hornetframe.html
The two player looks the go, im slightly moving back towards ss, but still dont know whether to start the project due to motorcycle funding:)

Cheers for the help

rideaholic

Cannon Fodder
maybe an avanti derelikt... pretty sure they have horizontal dropouts but gears shouldnt be a problem as they are adjustable, correct me if im wrong. also not sure how much the frame alone would cost though. :D

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Warning Gratuitous plug below :)

re vertical drop outs & gears ... you can get Something like these for your horizontal drop outs.

The ones pictured prolly aren't the best ... I couldn't find the ones I wanted to show you but I know NS bikes makes this nice slotted hanger/chain tug thingy ... which sits in the H-dropout and will give you a bit of stiffness for the rear mech to shift a little crisper.

So, don't exclude H-drops just because you want to run gears.

Now, if your predominantly Dj-ing ... and maybe riding the occasional (flattish trail) then I'd stick to SS ... its just not as noisy ... no chain slapping, mech bashing etc etc. One of my mates regularly road XC with his SS .243 to my complete mind f$%k ... big lance legs are the out come :p

Also obviously 4 less things to break (mech, cable / cable hosing, and shifter) ... or and the hanger (uhmmm 5 things):eek:

So all depends on how hilly and frequent your trail riding will be.

for a cheap rig, I recommend a trail digger
this is mine which I'm looking to sell ... hardly used and dialled pretty nice. (gratuitous plug :p))

Alternatively check the latest [R]evo ... Nox flylight give away ... gotta be in it to win it.

dandan

Likes Bikes
I have a basically brand new Orange MII frame if your interested? Prob a little more than your asking but comes with an e13 chain guide, seat post, headset and a few other bits. Does not have a single scratch on it. Bought it in late 2007 new, built it up, used it a few time then needed the parts to build up an xc bike and its been sitting in my dining room for the last 2 years. Asking around $600 which is a bargain as they were $1800+ new just for the frame alone when I bought it.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
I have a basically brand new Orange MII frame if your interested? Prob a little more than your asking but comes with an e13 chain guide, seat post, headset and a few other bits. Does not have a single scratch on it. Bought it in late 2007 new, built it up, used it a few time then needed the parts to build up an xc bike and its been sitting in my dining room for the last 2 years. Asking around $600 which is a bargain as they were $1800+ new just for the frame alone when I bought it.
Thanks mate, not really interested now as im saving for a motorbike, but as soon as i have bought a moto ill consider it :)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
yeah the two6player would have been the go, too bad we can't get them in aus :(
i tried to get one myself
yeah we missed out, however 2011 seems a 4x specific frame return being the phantom at ~1.8kg, ISCG mounts, max 120mm fork etc

here is a pic:

For reference there is an aftermarket hanger for the two6/4 player frames.