Frame Protection / Heli tape alternatives.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Anyone got a source of good tape ? Decent alternatives from local hardware shops ?

I am not looking super thick 3M equivalent but tape that is better than the rip off Chi book backing clear contact.

This is not to stop stone chips or chain slap, just abrasion to paintwork and decals from rubbing.

Cheers !

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
This stuff is good. Have used it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, I'm using this stuff too. Don't feel bad smothering the bike with it either given the price. Sticky as fcuk, I've used to to repair an air mattress, was hoping it'd last the night and it's now been used 4 times since.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Shredden

Knows his goats
The Gorilla Tape seems to be good shit, Ive got it on chainstays, seatstays and downtube and it has a few marks in it that haven't gone through, that definitely would have fucked the paint up otherwise.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Has anyone removed that Gorilla tape successfully after a year on the bike ie it doesn’t pull up paint with it?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
This stuff is good. Have used it a bit.

I used to use this. Good stuff and protects well but I found the serrated edge of the tape has a stickiness that dust sticks to so it discolours on the edges. It also pulled paint off my Orbea Occam frame in parts when I removed it. A heat gun for future removal is recommended to relax the glue slightly.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to use this. Good stuff and protects well but I found the serrated edge of the tape has a stickiness that dust sticks to so it discolours on the edges. It also pulled paint off my Orbea Occam frame in parts when I removed it. A heat gun for future removal is recommended to relax the glue slightly.
Yeah I always heat stuff to remove it, just in case.
I have mainly used it on my fork lowers where the cable ties for the Marsh guard wrap around.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thanks all ! Will order some of that 3M @Oddjob.

Also going to grab a roll of the tape from Bunnings... Just heading there now.

Cheers for the help.

Last edited:

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know what tape is used by frameskines? I like how you apply it with water and then can reposition it before it drys.

ive had some luck buying clear protective films from sign writers. They always few gloss and matt options that they can sell at a good price.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I've had this 3M tape on for about 9 months, dirt seems to stick to the sides of the tape and over time seems to work its way in, so I'm not overly impressed with that aspect of it.

It's definitely tough and protects the paint from rubs and chips though, no complaints there. I also peeled a big piece off the top tube without lifting any paint at all, without using a heat gun (but it was summer in Melbs so quite warm..)