Frame sizing

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Hello DJ fanatics,

I recently grabbed a second hand DJ, but I'm starting to wonder how we address frame sizing. I am brand new to this and being only 5'3, I got a P3 in L since that was the only size they came in. Can you shorten stems etc. I just want to learn the basic jumps and manuals and won't be hucking off massive lips or skate parks or anything like that anytime soon.

Is it way too big. How is it meant to feel? I've ruined both my shins in the two rides I've taken it out for so going to stay off it and wear some shin pads next time. Worst feeling. Should really invest in better pedals and shoes.

Cheers,

Dan

Kramer

FoBR
I'm 6'1 and ride a large stp with a shorter 30mm stem - on small jumps and skate park it feels a bit big, but on the bigger jumps is fine. If you want to shorten things up, then get a super short stem and roll your bars back a bit (or get bars with more sweep).

Definitely recommend sticky shoes to save your shins and nuts. Get some Five Tens!

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Thanks Kramer. I'll have to look into it.

I don't even know if it's for me. I've been put off way too much after ripping my shins apart on the weekend Much prefer clip ins!

Noticed you are from the Berra. Is there any good places to learn basic dirt jumps besides Gunghalin?

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
I just recently got a 24" bmx to start playing around on. I'm 6"4' and it has a 22.3" top tube and 8.5" that feels pretty good to me.

Then I had a quick spin on my brothers and feels a bit more compact, having a 22" tt. I would say either feels better or worse, just different. Learn to ride what you have unless it's way way too big.

Also I would recommend learning to bunny hop if you are going to be jumping. It helps you learn to keep your feet on the pedals. I spent about a week practicing every night for 20-30 min and now I can get off the ground a little bit and find it helps heaps knowing how to pick the back wheel up when jumping. I'm 35 and never jumped/bunny hopped in my life before!

Look up YouTube vids on how to do it, lots out there and just have fun playing around, don't get frustrated!

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello DJ fanatics,

I recently grabbed a second hand DJ, but I'm starting to wonder how we address frame sizing. I am brand new to this and being only 5'3, I got a P3 in L since that was the only size they came in. Can you shorten stems etc. I just want to learn the basic jumps and manuals and won't be hucking off massive lips or skate parks or anything like that anytime soon.

Is it way too big. How is it meant to feel? I've ruined both my shins in the two rides I've taken it out for so going to stay off it and wear some shin pads next time. Worst feeling. Should really invest in better pedals and shoes.

Cheers,

Dan

Dirt jump bikes tend to only come in one size. I've seen plenty of people your size (and smaller) riding P3s; you'll get used to it. Stock components should be fine for size, just slide the brake levers in if the bars are a bit wide.

Hurting your shins isn't related to bike size. That's because you're falling off the pedals.

Kramer

FoBR
Learning to dirt jump in Canberra... First learn to bunny hop with flat pedals - you can do this in your drive way or in an empty carpark. When you get better start bunny hopping over blocks of wood, empty cans, etc to get your height. Heading to more fun stuff - the Gungahlin jumps are good and provide a reasonable place to practice (they just need a bit of love ATM); try the Scar park at Southbar Rd Qbyn - I haven't been there in ages, but it has jumps and pump track. Skateparks are good for building skills (although concrete hurts more than dirt) I usually ride at Belco - there are good bits to jump up, off and over.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Yeah thinking of getting some shin pads and some FiveTens or Shimano. Might even upgrade to DMR Vaults as well.

It is an awkward feeling (coming off my MTB) hence why I was skeptical about the frame sizing.

I'll work on the bunny hops. I can already bunny hop up gutters etc but still pretty ordinary. Any tips on working out how to manual?

racebmx

Likes Dirt
The best way to practise manualling is riding on the footpath. Manual one section of concrete. Then when consistent practise two sections etc.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
I reckon a shorty stem would be a good thing to have given your height. They aren't real dear and the difference it will make to how you feel on the bike will be pretty substantial.

As for slipping off the pedals, I see this a lot with the younger guys I race bmx with. They know nothing but clips and don't have the feel of riding on flats down. Decent shoes and pedals obviously help (I ride in Etnies and use bear traps wherever possible, but I am old and grumpy). I would suggest taking it easy to start with, rather than rushing out to buy new shoes and/or pedals. My old MTB I ran PC pedals which had zero grip and still managed to stay on it. Its just a matter of technique and it comes from practise.

Manuals and bunnyhops are your basic first step to getting decent at riding trails/jumps/skateparks. If you have basic bunnyhops down it is just a matter of refining your technique, particularly if you are used to using clips. There are heaps of clips on the net of bunnyhopping tutorials, but basically you want to pull the front up, then raise the back by pushing the bars away from you. Watch some street BMX videos to get an idea - the motion is a bit more exaggerated and might give you a bit more insight.

Manuals. Man I suck at manualing. I am getting better though, and here is a couple tips:

1. Don't try and lift with your arms - you more want to keep your arms straightish and use your legs to push the bike out from under yourself, keeping your bum over the back wheel. Again, watching bmx videos you can see a really exaggerated version of this which can give you a better idea of the movement you need
2. When you do this try and keep your legs bent a bit. Once you lock them out you lose a lot of control. Fine for tall stand up manuals when racing BMX or 4x, but if you are doing double manuals, or manuals on flat ground it won't help you
3. Keep a finger on the brake, and use the brakes to save yourself if you go too far. Once you get the hang of that your confidence will increase a lot

Hope this helps - practise makes perfect!

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the detailed response CourseOut.

I did and am still considering a shorter stem, however the P3 already comes with a 40mm stem, which is fairly short. I want to give it a couple more rides, but the first impression is that it feels a bit big.

Haha, I've already gone against your advice. I ended up switching over my old DMR Vaults when I used to ride flats on the MTB and just bought a pair of FiveTens and shin pads to practice on. I spent a good 15 months riding flats on the MTB before I was comfortable being clipped in. The confidence of riding the P3 with different pedals and FiveTens is substantial now.

I might try your technique about pushing the bike away. I was taught when I was really young to roll your wrists to get the back up.. obviously terrible advice but it gets me up the gutters... =|

Over the weekend I was reading about manual tips and I remember an article saying that when you first learn you should aim to overshoot so you can get comfortable with the feeling of going too far. It was fantastic advice and I felt I could get the bike up without forcing it...I'm still terrible and squeeze the brakes way too hard at the feeling of going over.

Nevertheless I'll keep at it until I nail it!

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
No worries - glad to be off help! With the shoes and what not, I was mainly suggesting that as a money saving measure more than anything! Haha. But with greater confidence comes better results I find!

Rolling your wrists to bunnyhop will work, but you definitely can't put as much force into it doing that. At the end of the day just do what works for you.

Sounds like you've got the right attitude towards it all mate, keep on keeping on and good luck!