Frame swap compatibility, Kona - Ironhorse

Brendan.

Likes Bikes
Hey all, Sorry but I am new to DH/FR MTB and have just bought a 04 Kona stinky complete with a few upgraded parts, However im not a big fan of the frame itself. I have, however seen a ironhorse sunday that i rather like and within budget. just want to know if i am able to take the parts from the kona and fit them to the ironhorse easily.
Here are some details that i know about each bike;

04' Kona Stinky
upgraded parts
Marzocchie 888 Forks
Transition Revolution 32 Wheelset
Avid Juicy 5 Disk Brakes front and back

06' Ironhorse sunday world cup w/ dhx 3
has reducer cups

Basically want to fit everything from the kona except shock to the sunday. ie; Forks, stem, BB/Cranks, wheels (axel diameter) ect. , rear disc mounts. anything else.

I have searched and as far as i have figured everything will fit, although i'm not very familiar with 1 1/2 - 1 1/8 head tube compatibility but thought it would fit. Just wanted to ask to see if anybody can assist and point out anything that might cause me trouble before getting a new frame.
Thanks.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At a guess, the Iron Horse will have a 30.0 seat post, and the Stinky will have a 30.9. I'd also guess that the BB is probably 83mm on the Sunday, and it is probably 68 or 73mm on the Stinky. Also, the Sunday has a 150x12 through axle and the Stinky probably has 135x10. So there's a few things you'll have to change. Everything else should swap over though.

Brendan.

Likes Bikes
Thanks. I already plan on getting new seat post and seat. If i can just change the BB and keep existing cranks and spindle, and an axel for the rear wheel that's ok. Minor parts like BB, axel (assuming i can change the axel in the hub?) and seat post im ok with replacing, it's the more expensive $100+ parts like hubs, forks and cranks that i dont wanna have to spend money on.

Last edited:

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You will need new cranks to fit in as the crank axle length will not be long enough o go through the frame.

If it has a reducer headset then the forks will fit straight in. If it has cups then the 1/1,8 headset should press straight in.

Sunday's are also iscg05 so you will need a new chainguide as well.

Browse through the For Sale section untill you find some real cheap things then build from there. Good luck

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah, if he's still got the ISIS cranks then he'll just need an 83mm ISIS bottom bracket.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
True. I assumed that he had an external bearing setup.

Probably be a good buy to go to an external setup though if still running isis.

Brendan.

Likes Bikes
Unfortunatly the splines on 04 cranks don't match the newer style Howitzer.
Why would they do this to me :confused: hahaha

Well i was actually going to look for a 2nd hand one first. Saw this on here in the FS section http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?205639-Holzfeller-cranks-Truvativ-Team-BB-*Free-postage-Aus-wide BB only, but it's not much more if i have to buy the crank arms too.

How can i tell if the spline's will match (New style or old style)? apart from having both BB and crank arm in hand

Last edited:

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the splines are actually the same, but not 100% sure. There is also a shoulder that the arms need to tighten against. There may be incompatibilities there. You want an ISIS BB instead of a Howitzer, so you need to make sure it's internal bearing.

To be quite honest though, I'd be thinking about an upgrade. 83mm ISIS doesn't seem to be too common, and the bearings on ISIS BB's are much too small to last long anyway.

The wheels seem to be convertible to 12mm, but spacing will still be wrong. It is 150 between dropouts. Spacers could work, but then your chain line will be wrong and they will have to be custom made.

If I were you I'd just grab a second hand 150x12 off here. They can be had for pretty good prices.

Brendan.

Likes Bikes
You want an ISIS BB instead of a Howitzer, so you need to make sure it's internal bearing.
According to the website the Howitzer lists that it is compatible. Does this mean that they WILL fit but because of external bearing chainline will be different? So still trying to figure out if it will work or not

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well if Truvativ say it will work then I'd go with them! I've just never done it myself.

The chain line will be wrong due to the extra width of the bottom bracket shell on the frame. It doesn't matter what type of bottom bracket you use, it will still be wrong, and not suitable for the rear wheel you have.

Brendan.

Likes Bikes
The chain line will be wrong due to the extra width of the bottom bracket shell on the frame. It doesn't matter what type of bottom bracket you use, it will still be wrong, and not suitable for the rear wheel you have.
Well i will be getting a new hub thats 150mm x 12mm. still not fit ?

Brendan.

Likes Bikes
Cheers, thanks heaps to everyone for 101 lesson. Ill post pics of the build very soon as its just about to start. :)