Free Ride Redux - Deluxe Edition

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not sure why you've got carbon and coils though. Aren't they bitter enemies?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Not on the dh world cup. I'm just waiting for the call up...previous owner has the coil shock on and recommended it. I'm giving it a go. If I don't like it I have a few air shock options for it in the shed. Given the coil was titanium I figured I'd whack the titanium sprung forks from my 951 on to match. It feels good, but squishy. I've pretty only ridden the pivot this year and have it set at about 10% sag so assume it's an adjustment thing.

I should have purchased your tracer when you were young and foolish.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I just would have ended up buying a nomad to fill the emptiness the tracer would have left

Fair enough. I've never run coil on anything for more than it took me to find an air shock to fit, and they were never good ones. Aren't these linkages designed around air shocks these days? I seem to remember reading something around those lines saying coils might bottom out too easy. Or maybe I just dreamed that

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm not sure about your science article dream...this nomad isn't exactly modern though. But a lot of modern mid travel bikes seem to be running coils. It feels good thus far. I'm sure I bottomed it out the other day but I I didn't experience any hard banging.

I'm with you though. I've ran air on everything for a long time. Originally it was just about knocking about 500g off the bike, but then I came to love the adjustability of them and the floating feel.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well this thread hasn't been updated for a while! I got the forks serviced. It had been a long time between refresh, with about a year in a storage shed unused and another 6 months on the shelf followed by about 9 months since the last ride...anyway they feel awesome at the moment. Just been on the local jumps punching air in/out and tweaking the knobs. Will take it for a few trail laps now I think.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Long time no ride...

For more years than I can remember Easter was all about the riding. Over the years the crew has dwindled and changed, then people have kids and holy shit does that throw out Easter! Anyway after riding elsewhere all weekend I made it to the quarry of doom on this beast today. What a great bit of fun that was! I haven't been out there since the middle of last year. There is a few really fun new obstacles, some of the old stuff has deteriorated, and some has been maintained well. Threw the bike over a few big jumps. You'll have to take my word for it though as nobody in the group is any good with a camera and I didn't have my selfie rock.

Anyway to topic - is this the perfect bike for me and the way I ride? Not quite, but it is close enough. I'm considering making a few cockpit changes - slightly longer stem and different shapes bars. This will spell the end of the blue bars, but I have a new orange theme going on...

I picked up some blackspire pedals recently. They are freaking awesome! The platform is huge, plenty of well placed pins, really comfy cradle for the foot...I usually like a significant concave shape, which these don't have. But I was so happy with these that I'll be keeping an eye out for other colours coming into stock.

Ref:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well this is so out of date it's practically a grave dig!

There has been a few alterations and it's also pretty static.

The bike now has:
- current model Shimano xt brakes. They feel really good.

- new pedals! Nylotrax again but bright blue. So the bars are staying for a while.

The bike still rides like a dream. The forks were recently serviced and are plush again, despite the severe rub on the stanchion.

Lucaw

Next in line

The bike now has:

- new pedals! Nylotrax again but bright blue. So the bars are staying for a while.

The bike still rides like a dream. The forks were recently serviced and are plush again, despite the severe rub on the stanchion.
Post up some photos @pink poodle

Lucaw

Next in line
I probably should, but I don't have any at the moment. I'm probably taking it out this afternoon for a roll so might remember to get snappy. I haven't taken any action shots for a long time.
Sounds good, I hope you enjoy your ride

Flow-Rider

Burner

The bike now has:

Were they the forks you got from binner?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Were they the forks you got from binner?
Nah. I've had these since new, maybe like 2015. A few rides back a small gravel piece got wedged into the seal and acted the fool. I was sad as up until then the forks still looked show room ready.

Got them for this build...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A while back I scored the holy grail of cranks for this bike - saint 165mm 68/73. It's been sitting in the shed neglected until yesterday when I realised I should stop fucking around and install it! Holy crap!!! It is amazing how much difference to the feel of the bike those 5mm made. On yesterday's ride the bike felt totally different to a few days prior on the same trails. I am very happy.

One of the crew showing off in the background.