Freehub advice

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
We went away to ride Buxton and the new Cascade trail from Lake Mountain to Marysville and visit the family in Melbourne .
Didnt have time to ride Harcourt which I really like after rain and is really challenging for a small area
Buxton is nice but the Cathedral track was the only challenge.
Cascade is great, very varied ,quite a hard day despite being only 560m of climbing and 29km. loved the rocks and berms, definitely do it if you can before winter.
Back in Yack now, I am hoping the different shaped clutch plate will drive the pawls to grip the hub which is a slightly smaller diameter .
The old existing plate for some reason wont do it.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep changed the pawls , clutch plate etc and maybe because it is 0.5 mm narrower it still wont work .
Just got the only replacement I could easily get from England today and it works the pawls fine with the old clutch plate .
Only one problem it is for Campagnolo cassettes , the only one in the world for Shimano is in South Africa costs over $200 including postage so not worthwhile.
I think I can get a Campag 10 speed cassette to work with a shimano derailleur according to the internet , even if I have to add some spacers ?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Adding spacers won't help. Campagnolo 10-sp. cassettes are wider overall than Shimano/SRAM, so the total shift range of a Shimano or SRAM shifter isn't enough to properly fit the cassette. And just to make things worse, Campag sprocket spacings are not equal, so some gears might tune OK, but others will be very poor.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
OK went with a 9 speed Miche cassette 12-29 which is made of individual cogs and spacers and will try cutting out the splines of a Shimano 34 cog to fit, since the Campag splines are deeper.
I then hope to remove a smaller cog say the 15 , 16 T [similar to adding a range extender ]and use some smaller spacers .
Also I am not that OCD about shifting so can tolerate a bit of imprecision.
Campagnolo
9-speed 4.55 mm cog thickness 1.75 mm spacer 2.8 mm total width 38.2 mm
Shimano
9-speed 4.34 mm 1.78 mm 2.56 mm 36.5 mm
Why bother ' cos its there ' bit of a challenge and I like the AC wheel and to rebuild it using different length spokes and a new hub isnt worthwhile.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
BTW the Campag driver and clutch with a campag cluster works fine.
I could only get 12 -29 in 9 speed so removed a small cog and carved out a shimano 34 tooth cog to campag spline specs .

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Thread bump, anyone care to comment on these hubs?

Go0gl3 tells me they are pretty decent. Old mate's Banshee needs a new back wheel and he and I are both fans of Stans rims, unsure on the hubs as I have Hope.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Go0gl3 tells me they are pretty decent. Old mate's Banshee needs a new back wheel and he and I are both fans of Stans rims, unsure on the hubs as I have Hope.
If you can accept the wait time pick up a hope from the Germans, CRC, Wiggle etc for a bit less.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
If you can accept the wait time pick up a hope from the Germans, CRC, Wiggle etc for a bit less.

I don't like the wobble because I'm anal about that stuff even though I already rode it faster on Pork Barrel than my own bike, so was hoping he could find something before I return it ;) Alas no Shimano drivers available in Oz for the Hope.

Aside is newer Shimano 12sp micro spline driver only?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I don't like the wobble because I'm anal about that stuff even though I already rode it faster on Pork Barrel than my own bike, so was hoping he could find something before I return it ;) Alas no Shimano drivers available in Oz for the Hope.

Aside is newer Shimano 12sp micro spline driver only?
If its just a wobble in the rim then we could true it without to much trouble.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
If its just a wobble in the rim then we could true it without to much trouble.
It's been to a bike shop guy who fixed it somewhat and he said it's pretty fucked, more of an impact bend than a normal buckle. You'll probably see it on the weekend if weather is ok.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
  1. Can lend you one if you mean HG.
  2. Shimano 12sp cassettes are microspine, but plenty of HD and XD 12sp options
Turns out he wants to keep the hub, he was keen on Stans rims but not much locally. The bent one is a DT E1700.

bear the bear

Is a real bear

Hubs are ok but not great. The rim is stans which can be good/ bad depending on your perspective.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Stans rims are great... seen a very expensive set of Stans Valour wheels with the rear driveside flange cracked/sheared off a few weeks back.

The owner was less than impressed.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Like olives and anchovies, Stans rims , you either love or hate , I find them hard to seal and too tight for many tyres .
I have had a bad experience also with a failed freehub .
Since I have a few, I found using silicon to fill each spoke hole a good way to seal it then use tape.
I like DT swiss or Hope.