freeriding hardtail

CHEWY

Eats Squid
looking for a tough cromo ht frame. iu wass thinking about the trailstar but people have said its not good for drops. which what i would do lots. anyone know what a on-one gimps like? or a px bommer. i was thinkin about a surly but tey have no replacable hanger. any thoughts?

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chewy, one of the local boys at ipswich, Oppy, dropped 13 foot on one so they can hold up to the pounding you throw at them. And even if they do end up cracking, just get yourself a welder and reweld it back together. I don't recommend using a ds fork with it though. Have a look in the latest photos in the gallery of pink bike should explain all. If you can get a snipes I reckon they are hte best DH hardtail around. If you are looking for a true freeride hardtail (Not a Dirt jumper) to then look at the norco NS hardtails. Great design aslong as you don't mind the longer tt length. Since torrents are sold out I reckon get a sasquatch and upgrade a few of the part. Awesoem bike from experience. If you want DC forks then find somethign with a square butted top tube.

R.E.D

Likes Bikes
yea those new sasquatches are pritty nice a mate of mine just got one and their frames are pritty sick, thely hold up to a far bit of shit, their a good alround frame, yea the drop i didnt on my frame was around 11-12ft it took it well.

R.E.D

Likes Bikes
yea they come in... its has australia on the site it just doesnt say were their dealer is, but im sure youll be able to get one in.

Ty

Eats Squid
ok a bit of a rundown of whats out there in Cromo hardtails,
DMR - everyone knows they are good, solid, options for horizontal dropouts.
.243 - 7.5 pound hardtail frame? if you wanna lug that around all day they are really nice, shortish TT, very BMX like
PX bomber - really sweet jump bike but a little small for any trail type riding, dead sexy.
Snipes - you'd be doing well to get one in australia.
KHS ridge one - no frills but good value hardtail frame
Surly - more of a tough trail bike that a jump drop bike, solid frames, i think you can get them through dirt works so any warranty issues should be easy

but in my humble opinion
Endless lifetime is the god of all jumping/urban/trail/burly hardtails, if i had alot of cash to blow in a rare imorted hardtail thats where my money would go.
http://www.endlessbikes.com

but yeah there are heaps of good al frames too, Planet X, Evil, 24/le toy. support the small companys, they're in it for the love of riding, not the cash.

Ryan

Radministrator
I reckon a DMR will take some pretty serious abuse speaking from experience. But, if you wan't a genuine, heavy as a mofo, tough as guts steel hardtail built to take big drops to flat, check out the Planet-X Pitbull, it's a beast although a bit trials oriented and you'd more than likely have the only one in Australia.
Other truly unbreakable hardtail frames you might wanna check out are the Evil Imperial, 24 Bikes Le Toy or the ClifCat Tankass, but you'd have to be one seriously big, abusive rider to need either of those IMO.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
any chance of getting a draco out here. or would that be big bucks?
anyone know what the tankass is made out of, it looks like alum. does u can u get them in oz?

Ryan

Radministrator
Most small-volume hardtails can be brought into Australia, but in most cases it will be entirely up to you to get onto the makers and sort it out.
The Tankass is an aluminium bike, albeit made from 1/8" thick tubing, which is just crazy thick and as such, very very strong.

S.

ex offender
If you could break a DMR I'd be very surprised. Or any other half decent steel HT for that matter; steel doesn't fatigue like aluminium does.

What's wrong with DMRs for drops anyway?

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Chewey, check out the Balfa Minuteman chromo frame from Canada or ring Pete at Astrobike in Brisbane for further details. There are some good photos of it on the Balfa web site too, plus other good freeride pics.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Pete at Astrobike Alderley
Phone 33527772
Just putting some pics in the gallery here for you. Check out mtbr review as well.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another cromo HT frame not mentioned yet is the Kona Scab.

Good value freeride HT IMO. :D