DH Fresh Build Yeti 303-R DH

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Following on from my mini-review I ordered the frame and have now finally got it all built up, here are the specs:

Frame - 09 Yeti 303RDH
Rear shock - Fox DHX 5.0 with Ti spring
Front shock/fork - 07 Boxxer Team
Handlebars - Raceface Atlas FR 1/2" riser 785mm
Stem - Straitline direct mount 50mm
Headset - Chris King
Grips - Deity Supracush
Saddle - I-fly
Seatpost - I-beam
Front brake - GuideRSC lever, Code caliper
Rear brake - Elixir CR
Cranks - Middleburn RS7 (polished)
Chainguide - LG1+
Chainring - 36t e13
Chain - Sram
Pedals - Wellgo MG-1
Rear derailleur - x9
Rear shifter - x7
Cassette - ultegra road
Front hub - Chris King
Rear hub - Chris King
Front rim - DT EX5.1D
Rear rim - Alex Supra D
Spokes - DT competition
Nipples - DT brass
Tyres - Minion DHF
Tubes - XC front, DH rear
Total weight - 17.6kg (38.8lbs) on the digital bathroom scales

Special thanks to City Bike Depot

now for some photos :)

Now some action photos

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very very very very nice mate. Love the little splashes of CK gold.

Couple questions, how are you liking the bars? I'm ordering a set, albeit in a different colour, and havn't seen anyone else running them. And how is the X7 and X9 combo going? I'm in the same situation with the X9 derailleur too!

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think I saw this at Ourimbah, very very nice looking bike, they feel awesome too. Nice review as well.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys,

The bars are great, I went from Funn full on 710's to these and haven't looked back, they are very comfortable.

I think I have been out riding this biike every afternoon since it was built, its loads of fun! most of my riding impressions are covered in that review.

adman

Likes Dirt
Are those bronze Elixirs? How the hell did you get them?

Very nice bike - I can only wish.

Moony

Likes Dirt
very nice...only thing i would change is the forks...but hey thats just me.

hubs and frame are amazing especially!

have to go for a ride sometime.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what are the rails like to maintain? iv herd they are ment to be a pain in the ass.
About as hard as lubing your chain.

Are those bronze Elixirs? How the hell did you get them?
Ebay, I believe they are OEM on a Trek Session, I would love to get another in the same colour for the rear myself.

very nice...only thing i would change is the forks...but hey thats just me.

hubs and frame are amazing especially!

have to go for a ride sometime.
Cheers mate, I will upgrade the forks some time soon, need to pay off some bills first.

bighitben

Likes Dirt
That is beautiful.

It's my favourite bike on the market atm, just love it but could never afford one.
Yeah, saw it at Ourimbah and just looks so awesome.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This bike sat in my garage for around 10 years gathering dust, its the usual story of myself and my mates having kids and not much time to ride together anymore. Obviously I still kept riding bikes but with DH you really need some shuttles or a chairlift so that's why I stopped riding it.

I only did one race season on it after buying it new so everything is in amazingly good condition for such an old bike. When I pulled it out of the shed and dusted it off the only obvious things that needed attention were the brakes.

The rear brake came up like new after a bleed but the front was stuffed. I had to replace the front lever as it was completely seized, luckily I had an even older Juicy 7 brake set lying around so I pinched one of the levers off that and made it work with the Code caliper. It works ok for now but needs replacing eventually.

The only other problem was the rubber on the grips had turned to mush so I grabbed a new set of Deity lock-ons from the LBS and took it out for some testing on my local trails.

It felt so good to be back on a DH bike, the suspension just soaks up everything but push runs really suck and I was craving some shuttle runs to maximise my time actually riding it.

So yesterday I attended a Green Valleys DH shuttle day and managed to get 16 laps in on the bike before they called last lifts. So much fun! I can't stop thinking about it now.
I was so nervous the bike would fall apart after a couple of runs and ruin my day but the only issue I had other than a less than optimal front brake was the Boxxer was leaking a little bit of oil from the spring side seal. Nothing a wipe with a rag after each run didn't fix and I will replace those seals ASAP.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thats a lot of laps. Good work. How is that rear rail?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: jda

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I was surprised I did so many laps but strava doesn't lie in that regard. The bike is just so plush I was not getting tired at all, could have done lots more laps if we had more time.

How is that rear rail?
It does what it's meant to and has never given me any trouble.