Friday Night Winter Track Racing

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's been mention of it in other threads, I just thought I'd start bit of a roll call to see who's going to be out on the boards in the comming weeks.

Also, who's done this before? Any tips/strategy for a first time racer? :confused:

Also post up your weapon of choice, (not just any old fixie, there is a whole other thread for that)

Here's mine, will soon have a new set of wheels and proper track bars (Nitto B125's) and stem on it.

http://forums.farkin.net/showpost.php?p=982088&postcount=318

-Garth

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm gonna give it a go if i can scrounge up a track bike from somewhere. can someone in the know point me to the 'track bikes for sale repository'?

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be racing the first 6 weeks before moving to WA. I did about 6 or so of the last series. Its a great night out, but can be pretty cold on the track - bring some warm clothes. After racing we adjourn to the handlebar tavern for cheap dinner and beer, while watching replays of the races, and endless replays of any crashes.

For the beginners the grade 5 is a great introduction to the track, with simple to follow races. There is usually a wide spread of fitness levels in the grade, but it is a great way to learn the ins n outs. I would want to move up to a higher grade as soon as I could. The racing is a bit safer, and you get to do more interesting races, as well as being able to qualify for the wheelraces.

See you there:D

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what is the longest crank length i can get away with safely???
Having not raced there, I'm not certain. I was told by someone who has though, that riding my road conversion (lower BB) with 170's I would probably clip if I stayed too upright on the banks, but 170's would be okay on a track frame.

Anyone else?

-Garth

MTB11R

Likes Dirt
Track Bike

Hi I have a track bike for sale if you are interested.

Tope Tube 56cm c/c
Seat Tube 56cm c/t
Cranks 'Royal, 170mm with 49t chainring
Rear sprocket 14t (horizontal dropouts)
Wheels Ambrosio 19
Tyres Michilen Axial sport 700/20c

Looking at about $300, something nice to start on.
I have raced it twice at Duncgrey Velodorome.

PM me if you are interested

climbo

Likes Dirt
170's are good, you can go longer if you need to. The small cranklength is more about spinning and the ability to accelerate quickly.

Realistically, have a look at how far over you need to tilt the bike to hit the pedal. On the 42 degree banking at Dunc Gray you will not hit a pedal as you will need to be going pretty quick so you don't slide down the banking so your bike will be almost perpendicular to the track the whole time.

My only tip would be that, don't ride slow, one slip and you'll be on your arse and you may take someone else out. Start at the bottom of the track in warm up and gradually move up as you feel comfortable. Low and slow, high and fast, the warm-ups get very very busy down there, lots of bikes on at once.

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So here is the Finished Weapon.

New Bars: Nitto B125's
New Wheels: Dura Ace / Sapim CX-Ray / Aerohead (1.66kg's)

The new wheelset is 450g lighter than the last, coming in at 2.2kg's with tyres and tubes. The whole bike comes to 8.2kg exactley, not super light, but it's almost 2kg's lighter than my last!

Cheers for the new wheels tomac!

Itching to get it to the track on Wednesday :D

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still coming tonight Jasco? I haven't decided if I'm riding tonight or just watching - had a bit of time off the bike recently as well as a cold that I can't get rid of...

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm still keen to pick up a track bike so if you're heading there tonight take note of bikes with for sale signs on them.;)

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still coming tonight Jasco? I haven't decided if I'm riding tonight or just watching - had a bit of time off the bike recently as well as a cold that I can't get rid of...
Yup still heading out!

Still running my road cranks and 3/32 ring though cause I couldn't get a BB and 1/8 ring sorted in time. Should be all set for next week though.

The bike looks pretty much the same, but now has a red Fizik Arione seat on it instead (the other one raped me and is now in prison :p) Come say hi!

-Garth

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be on a AvantI Pista Pro with Campag Pista Wheels and Bicisport (Hamill Press) Jersey, longs, armwarmers, gillet, beanie, full finger gloves, bar heater, and blanket. Or I'll be in the Handlebar tavern having beer and chips instead:D