Friendly riders

Do you guys think mountain biking is a friendly sport? It seems like everyone that ride past me, I say hi and they don't say anything and give you a look a look and keep riding? How rude.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
It's pretty friendly, just depends where you ride.

I generally find the more serious / technical difficult the riding the more friendly the folk, the easier the riding, the more lycra that is present, the less friendlt people are... too much roadie attitude?

I ride at Mt Buller fairly often, probably becuase it's 3 hours from melbourne you only tend to get MTB enthusiasts, most people will say hello without prompting, most people will yell out and ask if you need help if the bikes upside down or the wheels off.

Lysterfeild, not so much.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair call. Some are like that. Some are really friendly. The intensity of MTB is higher as is the speed these days. We always call out hi and say 1 (or 2 or 3 etc) following. That usually gets a similar response and helps to know who else is chasing them. Most riders are friendly at trailheads, but some get too much into the zone when riding or Stravaing. I'll say hi when I meet you.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I think mountain biking is one of the most friendly sports, particularly the gravity side of things. In my experience, the lack of acknowledgement from other riders when I've smiled and said G'day has mainly come from roadies, lycra clad XC Strava winning bandits and juniors who think they are above the common folk because they have a number plate on.
Ninety nine percent of the time I get a smile or a wave and even people stopping for a chat. If I pass the same guy the next day, I'll still say hi or wave. If they think their exercise is that serious and important to not be friendly then fuck 'em, it's probably one less person I'd help that gets a flat tyre. ;)

John U

MTB Precision
How friendly mountain bikers are is inconsistent, but as stated, 99% of them will check to see if everything is OK if you're stopped on the side of the track.

I don't don't think the attitude to help a brother in trouble out transfers across to saying hello though. I remember a couple of times riding on the Old Northern Road, or whatever it's called, North of Wisemans Ferry, out in the middle of nowhere by myself not having seen anyone else for an hour or two, passing another solo rider going in the opposite direction, saying hello, and just getting a vacant stare in return. I find that behavior truly bizarre. Especially when you're out in such beautiful bushland with some excellent riding.

Yeh, I agree with you guys. Seems like the Xc guys that are dressed up real pro is the ones that are quite rude, I ride mt stromlo a lot and I see a lot of those so I guess it is based on where you ride.

stirk

Burner
The above statements around the XC lycra clad guys and gals being less likely to say hi is my experience also but they sometimes return a smile so I just figure they don't have much breath left to utter any words!

I'm sure they'd be friendly if they were not so puffed.

Most people will say hi on the trails but some don't, the clothes mean nothing, it's the person.

Had a roadie talk to me as he raced past last weekend, nearly fell off my bike!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do you guys think mountain biking is a friendly sport? It seems like everyone that ride past me, I say hi and they don't say anything and give you a look a look and keep riding? How rude.
Bikes are for jerks! People on bikes are jerks! You could buy a car for that much money.

oriion

Likes Dirt
This is why i ride with my dogs - best company ever, never rude. always smiling and happy.

People are dicks. :)

MTB Rod

Likes Bikes
Bikers are generally friendly as no one is competing for the trail
Don't get me started on surfing.....

mason33

Likes Dirt
STRAVA! GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY!

But seriously most people are alright, there's always a few exceptions.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
im a fully lycra clad strava using xc nut and I get seriously pissed at chunts at lystie that dont say hi in return.

otoh last dude I gave a tube to after he busted off his valve in the pump almost hugged me, he had ridden 20km to the park and was going to get his missus to come collect him.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
STRAVA! GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY!
I've had three incidents with people yelling Strava at me.
-The first time I was in the last hour of a five hour building session on my local trails. This clown came belting down the mountain and yelled "fuckin' Strava". I'd been there all day, I had a witches hat and bunting on the trail fifty metres up the track and had my tools around me. He kept going and came down on the second run with some attitude. It's written on the forum here elsewhere so I won't go into it so just assume that he knows to never be near a downhill trail that I'm within flying distance of.
-The second time was a little more innocent. A few of us were doubling some roots on an XC course for shits and giggles and admiring each others efforts when a girl came rolling along and stopped. She said we'd ruined her lap to get the king of mountain etc. I said that she should just do another lap and go for it so she did. Later that day I had a look at her efforts and yeah, she was the quickest. I imagine she cracked it when she saw that I changed my Strava account to female and knocked her records to the kerb. Hahaha!!
-I caught a guy cheating in a club race with Strava. Our downhill trail runs about fifty feet from the shuttle road and this guy knew that if he rode down the shuttle road in one point that his Strava would say he was on the downhill trail and he could argue my timing system etc. He must have spent all day plotting this and sure enough, he sprooked about how good his run was etc. I didn't have many people on course spectating this one day but the one guy that was watching a certain part of the trail where other traffic may appear had to duck off and ah, "set a trap" in the bush. He is a shy guy and didn't want to make a scene so he told me later that he saw this one guy pinning it down the fire road. He assumed he had a bike problem but when he saw the guy on the time sheet, he told me the info. I looked at the guys Strava ride and he'd fucked up big time. The Strava segment did say he was on the downhill trail but the plotted GPS points clearly showed him on the fire road that skipped about thirty seconds of trail. I didn't say anything on the day but I did make up a letter on my letterhead addressed to MTBA asking what the penalty is for skipping part of the trail. I shared the image on the Facebook page and included the screen capture of the guys Strava map without any of his details on it. That was obviously enough to frighten him off, I've never seen or heard of him on a bike since. Haha! Fuckhead.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have some pretty standard a-hole assumptions:

- anyone riding by themselves with a go pro
- matching riding clothes and bike
- any time someone mentions how crazy it was when they rode last season at whistler (insert any bike park here)
- anyone who says "gnar" or "shred" without irony or sarcasm
- anyone who mentions wheel sizes on first meeting

Lol stravanazis

my 12 year old daughter walked up the exit trail at OMV and got QOM

I do like using strava, I don't think I would be brave enuff to yell strava on the track

before any youse comment refer my post above

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I have some pretty standard a-hole assumptions:

- anyone riding by themselves with a go pro
- matching riding clothes and bike
- any time someone mentions how crazy it was when they rode last season at whistler (insert any bike park here)
- anyone who says "gnar" or "shred" without irony or sarcasm
- anyone who mentions wheel sizes on first meeting
quoted for truth!

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I always like to say hello or wave to other riders i see . If they don`t say hi or wave back I actually call them out on it . Maybe this is why I ride by myself so much ? Or maybe I just look scary in lycra .