Frogs get serious with e-bike hackers

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
good to see, but will only deter the honest ones!
this will cause a shit storm with the commuter folks, as the world is trying to push everyone to use more sustainable means of transport, the volume of people on ebikes will increase.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
good to see, but will only deter the honest ones!
this will cause a shit storm with the commuter folks, as the world is trying to push everyone to use more sustainable means of transport, the volume of people on ebikes will increase.
Do you mean the honest ones who illegally mod their bikes?
How will policing laws that are already in place cause a shitstorm ?
I'm guessing you don't like it because you have an illegal mod on your bike and you are worried Aus. might be next.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Do you mean the honest ones who illegally mod their bikes?
How will policing laws that are already in place cause a shitstorm ?
I'm guessing you don't like it because you have an illegal mod on your bike and you are worried Aus. might be next.
OK Troll
1# no, it will deter people FROM doing mods on their bikes and leave them stock.
2# if you were a commuter with a modded ebike, you have purchased an ebike for many reasons not limited to trying to reduce your carbon footprint etc etc, if you are now enforced heavily by huge fines not to de-restrict your ebike, you will go and buy a fucking motorbike to get to and from!
3# No, my bike is stock as a rock, except saddle, grips and pedals, I am not going to forfeit any warranty on a $6000 bike so I can go a few K's faster, that is just fucking stupid!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess it will be easy to reverse modify your bike if this law comes in and you want to model citizen.
How much faster is a moded ebike and does the range reduce significantly with more juice being sucked from the battery?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I guess it will be easy to reverse modify your bike if this law comes in and you want to model citizen.
How much faster is a moded ebike and does the range reduce significantly with more juice being sucked from the battery?
yes, you will go faster, but it comes at a great risk, it will reduce the range of the battery and significantly increase the wear and load of the battery pack , not to mention increase the current in both the motor and controller leading to burnout!
then all you are left with is a heavy cumbersome bike with no motor, as no manufacturer will go near a claim of a burnt out motor/electrics after you have de-restricted it!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes, you will go faster, but it comes at a great risk, it will reduce the range of the battery and significantly increase the wear and load of the battery pack , not to mention increase the current in both the motor and controller leading to burnout!
then all you are left with is a heavy cumbersome bike with no motor, as no manufacturer will go near a claim of a burnt out motor/electrics after you have de-restricted it!
That is what I was thinking. I fail to see the point of a modification in an e mtb. The stock motor will get you up ridiculous stuff already and who cares if you get to the top of a climb a few mins later. It not like it was your effort that did the hard bits. I doubt it is that much more fun on a modded bike to be worth it.

As for commuting my view is pretty much the same. what is an extra 10mins to get to work when you don’t want to be there anyway. Make up the time by cheating your time sheet like everyone else does. You have an honest bike you deserve this time back!

LPG

likes thicc birds
I wish there was sensible commuter e bikes. Weight even up to 50kg and can help you ride up to 50km/hr so cars don't sneak up on you too much. Even if you need some license to ride them. It would make sense to remove the reliance on cars. No reason to have them anywhere but roads and maybe some specific bike lanes (not shared paths of course).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I wish there was sensible commuter e bikes. Weight even up to 50kg and can help you ride up to 50km/hr so cars don't sneak up on you too much. Even if you need some license to ride them. It would make sense to remove the reliance on cars. No reason to have them anywhere but roads and maybe some specific bike lanes (not shared paths of course).
Sounds like a 50cc scooter.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is what I was thinking. I fail to see the point of a modification in an e mtb. The stock motor will get you up ridiculous stuff already and who cares if you get to the top of a climb a few mins later. It not like it was your effort that did the hard bits. I doubt it is that much more fun on a modded bike to be worth it.
I'm not 100% sure why people do it other than people don't like to be "restricted" in general. The only place I could see it being advantageous is flattish bits of ground where you are in and out of the 25km/h limiter. I doubt it's going to cause any serious issues to the bike unless you abuse it as the US versions of all the common motors are I think 32km/h. Then again I tend to use the middle or lower power settings anyway.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The motors and battery are designed to meet the requirements of each regions laws. They don’t make different motor/battery combos for australia vs europe. You can mod your bike to 32-35km/h cut out (same as some euro areas) without any detrimental impact on the system. If you make them unlimited then yeah it will stuff them up.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think 50km/h is too close to car speed for around the city. We have heaps of delivery riders on 50cc scooters and they are so dangerous. They think they are cars but they are practically too slow for the road but too fast for the footpath.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Motorbike...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You can wash that dirty filth out your mouth. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will...just get a scooter. Then apply pressure to make owning and riding such a motorised vehicle more accessible to the who need help transitioning away from cars.

Electric options there is?

And to those who ask why chip an E-bike? What difference does getting there slightly faster make? Well that's the whole point in the first place isn't it? Why even have the assist? To get there faster...or as the English translation reads - penis.

LPG

likes thicc birds
You can wash that dirty filth out your mouth. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will...just get a scooter. Then apply pressure to make owning and riding such a motorised vehicle more accessible to the who need help transitioning away from cars.

Electric options there is?

And to those who ask why chip an E-bike? What difference does getting there slightly faster make? Well that's the whole point in the first place isn't it? Why even have the assist? To get there faster...or as the English translation reads - penis.
Let me rephrase this.
I want an electric motorbike with pedal assist that is ridden on the road only so that I can ride to work and get by with only one car in the household in stead of 2. Happy to use my motorbike license. My work is 30 km each way and I don't really have time to do that ride every day and there are some roads on the route that I wouldn't be comfortable on due to traffic and lack of shoulders.

Basically I want a motorbike more like a bicycle, not the other way around.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Let me rephrase this.
I want an electric motorbike with pedal assist that is ridden on the road only so that I can ride to work and get by with only one car in the household in stead of 2. Happy to use my motorbike license. My work is 30 km each way and I don't really have time to do that ride every day and there are some roads on the route that I wouldn't be comfortable on due to traffic and lack of shoulders.

Basically I want a motorbike more like a bicycle, not the other way around.
It still sounds like you need a 50cc scooter. I don’t understand why you would want to pedal though.

LPG

likes thicc birds
It still sounds like you need a 50cc scooter. I don’t understand why you would want to pedal though.
Probably sensible, but I probably wouldn't spend money on a scooter.

What I really need to do is just move closer to work so I can ride a real bike (which I did, then changed work and ended up further again)