Front wheel quick release, what am i doing wrong?

JX8P

Likes Dirt
this is my spare front wheel, a Dice SMO laced to a DT swiss Onyx.
now the bearings feel fine when i spin the wheel in my hands but as soon as i drop it into my forks i feel resistance (the skewer is hardly done up, its loose as)
my last wheel did not do this and just tightened up like normal but still spun freely. any suggestions?

Scott2227

Squid
Piggybacking off this so as not to start a new thread for a question that will likely be answered quickly and easily.

My bike has a quick release front, which comes off every time I ride so the bike can fit in the car on the way to the trails and again on the way back.

When the bike shop fit it for me, they lubed it up (The lube they used was pastey and thick) and after a while it’s started to be more difficult to slide in and out.

I put some silicone spray on it today when I was putting the bike away after a ride, but I just wanted to check that there wasn’t some reason why I shouldn’t use silicone spray?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Piggybacking off this so as not to start a new thread for a question that will likely be answered quickly and easily.

My bike has a quick release front, which comes off every time I ride so the bike can fit in the car on the way to the trails and again on the way back.

When the bike shop fit it for me, they lubed it up (The lube they used was pastey and thick) and after a while it’s started to be more difficult to slide in and out.

I put some silicone spray on it today when I was putting the bike away after a ride, but I just wanted to check that there wasn’t some reason why I shouldn’t use silicone spray?
No reason not to use silicon spray - just don’t get it anywhere near your brake rotors or calipers. Grease would be better though.

Maybe you need to clean the old (dirty now?) grease off.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
No reason not to use silicon spray - just don’t get it anywhere near your brake rotors or calipers. Grease would be better though.

Maybe you need to clean the old (dirty now?) grease off.
And not replace it? I've never lubed a skewer.

Scott2227

Squid
Thanks all. I’ll give the axle and the ends of the forks a clean and see how it goes without lube.

@creaky I thought something like that might be a risk so I took the axle piece well away from the bike to spray it.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Most Q/R skewers are chro-moly steel, which can be prone to rusting. The oxide effectively swells the skewer, making it a tight fit in the axle. Scrub the oxide off with a bit of sandpaper then give it a good smear of grease. Silicon won't do any harm, but won't stay there as long as grease.