Front Wheel Sliding - Lysterfield

Raikkonen

Likes Bikes
Hi legends,

I've recently returned to mountain biking from a decade-long hiatus.

I've been spending most of my riding time at Lysterfield.

Two things i'm noticing. First, my front tyre is sliding on the sandy/fine-dirt corners more than I remember experiencing in the past. Is Lysterfield particularly slippery? I'm noticing it a lot on Aneurysm's corners, not so much on Follow Me. Some other theories are not enough weight over the front tyre, or my Tyres not being fantastic. I'm running Butcher GRID 2Bliss Ready 29x2.6" at around 30 PSI. Too high?

Second, i'm fining it harder to get air/bunny hop. I've gone with a 29er, large frame Stumpy. It's taking me a while to get used to bigger, heavier bikes, with bigger wheels.

Last edited:

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
For me it’s always been about body position and weighting up the front tyre.

When changing bikes recently it really took a while to adjust to different geometry and get the front tyre biting.

Don’t have experience or with your tyre or trails but it seams like it would offer a lot of traction.

In a tyre that big I would run less pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
In a tyre that big I would run less pressure
I'm only running 20psi in a 2.35" to get mine to bite enough.

And 29ers are especially sensitive to riding technique to get them to behave.

Took a good six months to get my head around mine.

There was a video posted within a thread that helped a lot. But I can't remember the name of the video, or the thread :oops:

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
Would you say You Yangs is less slippery? I plan to hit it up soon.
If you're slipping at Lysterfield, you'll struggle even more at Youies . Youies is notoriously known for its loose sand over hard pack surface, which is also very dry at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Raikkonen

Likes Bikes
If you're slipping at Lysterfield, you'll struggle even more at Youies . Youies is notoriously known for its loose sand over hard pack surface, which is also very dry at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It’s the tighter corners at Lysterfield I have trouble with. Youies look to have wider apex corners?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm only running 20psi in a 2.35" to get mine to bite enough.

And 29ers are especially sensitive to riding technique to get them to behave.

Took a good six months to get my head around mine.

There was a video posted within a thread that helped a lot. But I can't remember the name of the video, or the thread :oops:
This?

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Drop your front tire pressure 5psi and really focus on getting your head and shoulders over the front axle. 29ers, especially if it's your first time on one, are particularly good at pushing the front and dropping you on your side in an instant if you haven't sorted out where your body needs to be. If you can't get on with the butcher, fuck it off and try something else (schwalbe magic Mary) on the front, preferably in a really soft grippy compound so you can build a beautiful trusting relationship.

I guarantee everyone had the same issue with a 29er initially, and if anyone says otherwise they're either lieing, or incredibly fucking slow.

In closing. Get a schwalbe magic Mary for the front.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hard to tell - maybe you are just gonig fast. But one thing is for sure - lysty and youyangs are quite slippery. Try ride forest and it's much more friendly surface. Lysty is really good after a bit of rain but some parts like are always dry and sandy.

Raikkonen

Likes Bikes
Drop your front tire pressure 5psi and really focus on getting your head and shoulders over the front axle. 29ers, especially if it's your first time on one, are particularly good at pushing the front and dropping you on your side in an instant if you haven't sorted out where your body needs to be. If you can't get on with the butcher, fuck it off and try something else (schwalbe magic Mary) on the front, preferably in a really soft grippy compound so you can build a beautiful trusting relationship.

I guarantee everyone had the same issue with a 29er initially, and if anyone says otherwise they're either lieing, or incredibly fucking slow.

In closing. Get a schwalbe magic Mary for the front.
Good advice. Cheers.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Would you say You Yangs is less slippery? I plan to hit it up soon.
Youies is way more slippery. As others have said, 30 psi is way too high for a tyre with that kind of volume. I'd say drop it to 20 for Youies. I'm a lot heavier than you, running a 27.5 x 2.5 DHFII @22 psi on the front of my Norco Sight, and I still struggle for grip (had a close call today, in fact!). You're gonna wash out in the first turn with 30.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lysty is particularly slippery at the moment. I had a incident last monday which put me on my ass.

As you will see in the video, the berms down the bottom of Com Games were very slippery also.

Was out there again this afternoon, pretty much still the same conditions.
I'm running 22psi in the front, but almost 30 in the rear. I'd rather the rear lets go rather than the front and give the rear a bit better rolling.