Frozen vs fresh vegetables and fruit

safreek

This is how you wake up in the back paddock with two days unaccounted for, you've eaten 30 corn cobs due to the munchies, driven the tractor through three fences, got the ute stuck in the dam and can't feel your legs
My last farmer employer?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well I have been living off frozen veggies for the last month or so. Actually that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I have been consuming them more often than fresh produce or dining out. I am throwing a lot less unused fresh food in the neighbour's garden and also accruing a lot less small plastic bags. Otherwise I am undecided on the original question.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Well I have been living off frozen veggies for the last month or so. Actually that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I have been consuming them more often than fresh produce or dining out. I am throwing a lot less unused fresh food in the neighbour's garden and also accruing a lot less small plastic bags. Otherwise I am undecided on the original question.
I take my own bags.

We are in the habit of eating salad for work lunch 4 days a week, I make a pretty good salad, cherry toms, Swiss brown mushrooms, cucumber, roast beetroot and sweet potato, and a small amount of finely chopped whatever meat is left over from the evening meals, pork schnitty is my fave. Lettuce, some feta, roasted sesame seeds and finishing vinegar, all these items are from the farmers market. We were getting a bag of assorted lettuce each week, but I was getting pissed off with the bags so have gone to a big frilly looking lettuce and putting in the ventialted Tupperware that keeps it fresh.

I've also been munching 3-4 fruits a day for breakfast usually over the course of 9-11 am, banana, apple and mandarin this week. If I miss this for any significant period, it negatively affects the back end so I can reccomend it especially if you are the high side of 45 which is about when I started doing it, fibre is your friend.

I rarely throw stuff out now unless we get overloaded with free stuff from market vendors at the end of markets when my wife is working there, which we can usually distribute among the neighbours. I've reduced the meat content by half in most meals, more veg in stir fries, spag bol, lentils or mixed beans in rissoles. Frozen veg in stir fry is just gross.

I cooked canned corn last week, and fresh this week now it's back in season, my son noticed the smell of the fresh corn steaming, the canned stuff definitely didn't have that same strong delciious smell.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I take my own bags.

fibre is your friend

Damn right it is! I plough through a few tablespoons of chia, sesame, quinoa, LSA, and sunflower seeds in with rolled oats most days. Leaving the bathroom 5kg lighter is a satisfying way to kick off the day.

I am way too disorganised to take my own bags. Grocery shopping is usually something like "you know what would be a perfect conclusion to this casual ride to the beach? Going to Woolworths/Coles and getting frustrated by the day time crowds!" I still miss being able to shop after midnight when the shop was pretty much empty.