Fuel EX 29 or Remedy 27.5?

nelsti

Likes Bikes
How big of a difference is the Fuel Ex 29 compared to the Remedy on flat and undulating trails?

I'm considering a switch from my remedy 9 to a fuel ex due to moving to trails which are 80% flat/undulating.
While I love the remedy's ability to descend I'm significantly slower riding the fire roads etc compared to my entry level trek 29 hardtail, I'm thinking the fuel ex might be the answer.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How big of a difference is the Fuel Ex 29 compared to the Remedy on flat and undulating trails?

I'm considering a switch from my remedy 9 to a fuel ex due to moving to trails which are 80% flat/undulating.
While I love the remedy's ability to descend I'm significantly slower riding the fire roads etc compared to my entry level trek 29 hardtail, I'm thinking the fuel ex might be the answer.
My Fuel EX 29 MY15 pedals quite a bit better than my Remedy MY17.
Fuel is 9.9 with 140mm forks.
Remedy is 9.8 with 160mm forks.
All running 2.4” tyres front and rear and on similar weight wheels.

I can tell the difference quite easily. The Remedy isn’t bad by any means. The Fuel is just better at climbing and overall pedaling.

It’s worth noting that my Fuel has a DRCV shock vs Re:Aktive on the Remedy. When I put a Re:Aktive shock on the Fuel it was even better at climbing but I’m not fond of the slight knock it has..

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can tell the difference quite easily. The Remedy isn’t bad by any means. The Fuel is just better at climbing and overall pedaling.
Do you have any idea on time/speed difference over the same section? I know that it's probably not scientific, but smae segment a few times on strava from each bike perhaps?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have any idea on time/speed difference over the same section? I know that it's probably not scientific, but smae segment a few times on strava from each bike perhaps?
It’s not really going to tell you anything meaningful. Here goes though. :^)
For example, there’s a smooth Fireroad climb which takes me about 7:10 on the Fuel and 8:20 on the Remedy as I rode them both this this weekend.

Legs felt better on Saturday on the Fuel and I was in a more relaxed frame of mind on Sunday.
1.4km and 11.2km/h on the Fuel
1.4km and 10.4km/h on the Remedy

Does that help? I’d ride for longer and more climbing on the Fuel but the Remedy won’t make you hate life whilst climbing by any means.

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's interesting, thanks. Not a lot of speed difference in it there, especially if you consider the legs better/more relaxed part of the equations.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I think it comes down to your riding style and where you plan to ride ,

Both good bikes , but are slightly different,

Both could be described as a bit of an alrounder ,

The fuel as has been mentioned , peddles and climbs better ,

Remedy better in the technical areas

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I carpark tested a stumpy 29 back to back with a stumpy 27.5. Nice bikes. Trigger pulled. Delivery on Friday.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Which did you buy?
I ride a Tranny Patrol which is 27.5. Last week visiting Noosa took a demo '18 Fuel 29er out in Tewantin for a few hrs. I was really looking for the differences in cornering, handling, braking, climbing etc and guess what? I noticed jack shit. Loved riding it, very impressive. If anything I was surprised how little difference I felt. It was playful, I didn' change my riding style at all and it behaved exactly as I' expect. Rad bike and I have no doubt it'l smash some gnarly descending with ease.
I wonder how much placebo effect is associated with wheel size... Strava doesn't lie, but neither does extra physical effort when trying to reach a certain conclusion?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For tonight we ride - as long as it's not going to get muddy. Storms Pending.
2017 Remedy 8.

Apologies for poor quality background.