Full Fat or HiLo: an eeb conundrum

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Current 36s are absolute brawlers imo, like mini 38s. Much better feeling damping on bigger hits than the older models.
It's the flex in the chassis (mostly the thinner stanchions at a guess) that I find unnerving. The Grip is mostly adequate for my barely adequateness. The Grip2 I had in my old Z1 was an improvement, but it's a lot of dollars for only a tiny smidge of better performance.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
You're confusing Fox Performance (Same chassis as the Rhythms AFAIK, maybe a FIT-4 damper instead of Grip) with Performance Elite (lighter 'Factory' spec but black anno stanchions instead of Kashima).
This is my understanding - please correct if wrong -

The Performance uses the same chassis as the Performance Elite and Factory but comes with a standard GRIP damper. The Performance Elite and Factory have the choice of a GRIP2 or FIT4 damper. the Rhythm chassis is unique (and hasn't been updated AFAIK)

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I’ve just finished building up a Voima which is about 2.5kg more than my Levo so I’ll provide some feedback on the weight thing.

Going from a S4 Kenevo SL to the S4 Levo I found the most challenging thing was getting used to mullet and the smaller dimensions of the bike not really the weight so it’ll be interesting if a few kilos extra with the Voima makes any difference as the bike is now bigger again.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I’ve just finished building up a Voima which is about 2.5kg more than my Levo so I’ll provide some feedback on the weight thing.

Going from a S4 Kenevo SL to the S4 Levo I found the most challenging thing was getting used to mullet and the smaller dimensions of the bike not really the weight so it’ll be interesting if a few kilos extra with the Voima makes any difference as the bike is now bigger again.
I've got an old 2015 27.5 Sight, which is a small bike despite being a large frame and compared to my 29er Levo SL it feels like a BMX!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Something that gets forgotten with Ebikes is customer support. Seeing that they have components like the motor and electronics that you can't easily fix or even diagnose youself, having a good dealer close by if you ever had any issues (and you probably will at some point) is key. They also need to be able to deal with the electrical work directly with the bike brand, not just fob that off to the motor manufacturer.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Something that gets forgotten with Ebikes is customer support. Seeing that they have components like the motor and electronics that you can't easily fix or even diagnose youself, having a good dealer close by if you ever had any issues (and you probably will at some point) is key. They also need to be able to deal with the electrical work directly with the bike brand, not just fob that off to the motor manufacturer.
A very valid point.
Luckily for me, there is a Spesh dealer down the road, Trek a bit further and Giant near work.
This is a major consideration for me as I am a spaz on the tools

Jabubu

A very valid point.
Luckily for me, there is a Spesh dealer down the road, Trek a bit further and Giant near work.
This is a major consideration for me as I am a spaz on the tools
There's too much complexity when it comes to gearboxes and electronics, therefore more scope for the manufacturer to tell you to get fucked.

Jabubu

Conversely there is also a warranty for a reason. I won't be going near a motor, thats straight back to the dealer
I was responding to your mention of tools. I wouldn't be touching it even if I were competent!

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pfffft a hooman built it so another one can certainly take it apart !
@Rorschach are the Perth speshy dealers doing the 25 percent off deal on ‘ last yrs models ‘ ?
I am not in the buying mind - haven’t ridden my eeeeb in anger for 3 months , but they send me emails to entice, tempt and corrupt hahahaha
ps , my trek with a Bosch has been an absolute beast .

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Pfffft a hooman built it so another one can certainly take it apart !
@Rorschach are the Perth speshy dealers doing the 25 percent off deal on ‘ last yrs models ‘ ?
I am not in the buying mind - haven’t ridden my eeeeb in anger for 3 months , but they send me emails to entice, tempt and corrupt hahahaha
ps , my trek with a Bosch has been an absolute beast .
They are, but nothing above Comp level in the SL. There is the Levo Expert for 14k though which is go for if I went full fat