Future World Solo 24 Hour MTB CHampionships

akashra

Eats Squid
Tim,

First of all, unless you are intimately aware of what it is that Stu goes through to put one of these events together, particularly in a foreign country, then you have no right to comment on his organisational skills.
Don't put words in my mouth - I didn't. My quote, verbatim was:
- You showed a lack of organisation ...
Grow up and/or learn to read and interpret basic statements.

There could be any number of reasons for him not being able to pull together a 2011 worlds event including:
24HOA claimed they would announced the 2012 event at the previous worlds. They didn't. It's as simple as that. The circumstances surrounding it are irrelevant.

Secondly, your observation that the second main point in this whole debate is rooted in a generalisation about Americans being arrogant is both unbecoming and slanderous.
Congratulations on showing yourself to be yet/just another internet troll who claims to be a legal genius but doesn't know the difference between libel and slander.

You whole post in fact highlights the point that arrogant and rude people exist on both sides of the equator. Furthermore, what gives you the right to presume to speak on behalf of the rest of the world?
Please show me the verbatim quote where I did? Or are you just going to keep making this crap up?

As for your comment about the nature of Stu's world championship event, to the best of my knowledge it has always been marketed as the "24hrs of Adrenaline - World 24hr championships"
Enmphasis mine. I don't even need to say any more here, anyone who can read basic English can see you've made my own point for me.

The only point you have made that is remotely close to being legitimate, albeit very poorly and hidden amongst the other emotive rubbish, is the fact is that without some form of sanctioning body there will never be a true World 24hr event.
I didn't make or even attempt to make this point at all, but thanks for playing. What gives the UCI or any other major body the right to claim to be the sole owner of such a title? Others may recognise it but the simple fact is it's what people see as being the World Champs (in any sport) as being the one that has the legitemacy - which may vary region to region. We've covered this over and over in the years via various mediums.

...and you have no right to make such spiteful comments here or in any other public forum.
Oh geezus. Maybe the internet isn't for you :(

What an uninformed, immature and otherwise unhelpful piece of dribble.
Kettle, pot.

At the very least you should learn to pull your head in and try and gain some perspective. At best you should give Stu a rather large, and public, apology.
Hm. I'm pretty sure I was suspicious this post was a troll from the start, but this I guess should be the point where I check that this is a joke, right?

Anyway. When you can post as little more than a cowardly, faceless troll who won't put a name to what he's written, maybe... just maybe, I'll be niiiiaaaahh who am I kidding?
Seriously. I know I get in to a lot of flamewars here on Rotorburn, but this one gets the monthly award.

Last edited:

Shaman

Likes Dirt
Tim,

My name is Shane Taylor and if you would like to continue your name calling offline be my guest, feel free to PM me any time.
My original post was neither a troll nor a joke, it was simply an observation that, in future, you might like to consider your posts more carefully with some discussion as to why I believed your original post to be in bad taste.

As for this particular series of 'rebuttals', I have no doubt that readers of this forum are in a position to see that once again you have not dealt with any of the pertinent points of discussion, instead focusing on petty point scoring about legal terminology and such. I did not claim to be a legal expert and you were quite obviously aware of what my intent was. Congratulations on being legally trained however although I sincerely hope this is not your best work as in most cases you either further the point I was attempting to make or miss it entirely. Either way, it would appear that to continue would be a waste of both of our time. If, for example, the difference between organisations such as the UCI and CORC are not blindingly obvious then there is a far more fundamental level of understanding that needs to be obtained before more subtle topics can be dealt with.

As a final comment, I do not believe that the fact that a discussion is taking place on a public internet forum excuses its users from common courtesy and decency.
I wonder why it is that by your own admission you get into a lot of flamewars on this site? Surely the problem is everyone else who doesn't know how to use these interwebs properly, it couldn't just be you could it?

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Tim,

My name is Shane Taylor and if you would like to continue your name calling offline be my guest, feel free to PM me any time.
No thanks, here's good. After all, this is where you decided to pick a fight full of claims as ridiculous as the pointing at you were trying to do. Nor was I the first to say things along similar lines, but it was me you decided to take a swing at. Simple fact is, you came out making claims I'd said things I didn't.

I really couldn't care if a few people get offended by what I say, that's their problem. (Ed: And if they get offended by things I didn't say, well, I think all bets are off.) The only way to offend noone is to shut up and say nothing, and that forum would be about as boring as the grass growers forum*.

And the simple fact at hand here is that I'm not the only one who believes that a "world" championship that's been held at who knows how many times in North America and has ventured out, what... once?... and once again returns to North America simply doesn't represent a truly 'world' stage based on other events that exist.

Nor does anything you've said address that I've stated, quite simply, that the organisers are expected to at the very least be able to be held to their own claims - that is, that they'll announce certain info at times that they themselves told the general public they would, and failed to do so. But hey, if you think that constitutes awesome organization (as it seems to indicate you do since you decided to pick a fight with me over it), let's see you say so clearly. Wait, I'm permitted to play that game too aren't I?

Or were you just jumping on the "let's create a thinly veiled attack on tenuous links" bandwagon and you actually agree with me, but the bandwagon looked cosier?

As a final comment, I do not believe that the fact that a discussion is taking place on a public internet forum excuses its users from common courtesy and decency.
Your idea of common courtesy I'm pretty sure is going to differ from the next guy. But hey, maybe it's because I come from a background where the way people communicate on /b/ doesn't even cause batting of an eyelid anymore and because I don't go crying when someone says something I don't agree with?

I wonder why it is that by your own admission you get into a lot of flamewars on this site? Surely the problem is everyone else who doesn't know how to use these interwebs properly, it couldn't just be you could it?
Could it be because I get some degree of enjoyment out of seeing every side of arguments rather than just only having the intelligence of only being capable of seeing a single, bigoted point of view?

Unlike some people who use this forum, I don't wind up thinking person X or Y is a total cock because they think Purple is clearly a shade of Red, not a shade of Blue.

Ho hum.

* = rule 34 also applies here

Last edited:

.stu.

Likes Dirt
So, most importantly, whose up for sharing pit crew? It's been pointed out to me that supporting a rider while breast feeding and looking after a 3 yr old might not be fun...
Not only pit crew, how about travel, accom, and everything else about the whole week. Does anyone know a travel agent and think it might be reasonable to set up a package deal for any of us wanting to do the Solo, the Week, and the Team? We could probably stack the teams too if it came to that.

akashra

Eats Squid
Not only pit crew, how about travel, accom, and everything else about the whole week. Does anyone know a travel agent and think it might be reasonable to set up a package deal for any of us wanting to do the Solo, the Week, and the Team? We could probably stack the teams too if it came to that.
Russ, any idea if this is something CORC would look at approaching a sponsor to assist with, or would it be something riders are better off managing on their own as a group?
(Having said that however, remind me tomorrow Stu - I do in fact happen to know a travel agent quite well so could certainly put the question to them if it's something people want to seriously consider and it will help people)

Hooch

Likes Bikes
My point of view on this matter.
24HOA have done a great job thus far trying to set up a common 24hr world championship. Let down from peoples comments by planning issues.
Having never run an endurance event I wouldn't have the foggiest what goes into it, but suspect its a lot.
CORC have obviously seen this issue as a game breaker for them and have stepped up and decided to run their own events based on a more global
field than the Adrenaline which was always north american based.
They have taken the bull by the horns and instead of going year by year like stu was doing have planned ahead and for the next three years have put locations that not north america, italy, back in canberra and Scotland.
This should breath some new life into the world solo champs, now it will be up to the riders to decide which championship they want to follow. both sides have run successful comps and both sides have experience, now its a matterof who sells themselves the best. An area that I believe CORC do well as they run multiple comps, and one of the largest 24hr endurance races in the world with the scott.
All I can say is good luck to both, though as an aussie I wish CORC all the best that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge what stu has done up until now in pushing to make a world solo championship.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
My point of view on this matter.
24HOA have done a great job thus far trying to set up a common 24hr world championship. Let down from peoples comments by planning issues.
Having never run an endurance event I wouldn't have the foggiest what goes into it, but suspect its a lot.
CORC have obviously seen this issue as a game breaker for them and have stepped up and decided to run their own events based on a more global
field than the Adrenaline which was always north american based.
They have taken the bull by the horns and instead of going year by year like stu was doing have planned ahead and for the next three years have put locations that not north america, italy, back in canberra and Scotland.
This should breath some new life into the world solo champs, now it will be up to the riders to decide which championship they want to follow. both sides have run successful comps and both sides have experience, now its a matterof who sells themselves the best. An area that I believe CORC do well as they run multiple comps, and one of the largest 24hr endurance races in the world with the scott.
All I can say is good luck to both, though as an aussie I wish CORC all the best that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge what stu has done up until now in pushing to make a world solo championship.
Yep, well said. I loved last year’s World solo event and would happily do another 24 hours of Adrenaline. Organising an event has got to be tough. Look at the Bottlebutt which was postponed due to unforeseen circumstances this weekend. This occurred on a domestic basis so organising an international event is always going to throw up challenges with some being overcome and some resulting in lessons learnt. Saying this, CORC throwing their hat in the 24 solo ring, means that there is greater competition among event promoters. Competition breeds success and better events. The only ones that can win from this are the competitors and the sport.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Italy, here I come

I'm going to have to brush up on my Italian. I've enjoyed each of my solo efforts (after the fact, of course): Mont, Scott, Sydney 24, CORC solo, 24HOA WSC. However, lately I've become a bit jaded and think that I need a change. Italy looks like the medicine, and from what I've seen on the 'net Finale Ligure is a beautiful setting. I've got some long-service leave coming, so I think a European vacation is due in 2012. The wife won't need much convincing. If anyone else from Australia is of a similar mind, you can rely on our support.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
The New Super League?

I'm so onto this...

At the VERY moment Rupert is being forced to withdraw his interest in League with the formation of the Independant Commission, a new rebel competition in another sport begins! It's !994-95 all over again!!!! Just wait and see if I'm right...:)

*But seriously*... I'm not a competitor in solo 24, but this sounds like a serious step up for the sport, not merely a competitor or duplication. Well done Russ (or is it Rupert?!), it will be exciting to see how this develops.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Yep, well said. I loved last year’s World solo event and would happily do another 24 hours of Adrenaline. Organising an event has got to be tough. Look at the Bottlebutt which was postponed due to unforeseen circumstances this weekend. This occurred on a domestic basis so organising an international event is always going to throw up challenges with some being overcome and some resulting in lessons learnt. Saying this, CORC throwing their hat in the 24 solo ring, means that there is greater competition among event promoters. Competition breeds success and better events. The only ones that can win from this are the competitors and the sport.
Yup - good post. I've done Stu's events twice now and the experience in Canmore in 2009 was pretty awesome - not saying that the 2010 WSC at Stromlo wasn't but on his home turf Stu ran a pretty good race. Ultimately 24 solo racing isn't a UCI thing so there is no 'official' 24 solo champs - just private promoters trying to make a buck... but the 24 solo community is pretty tight and what counts is who races at the events... if the best riders in the world show up then the winner is the best in the world.

For me, I'm just sad that Stu wasn't able to get the 2011 event happening in Europe - I have no insight into the process and why / why not it didn't happen but I'm assuming it wasn't for lack of trying. But hey, CORC have a good history of running a good race and I can sell the concept of taking the fam to Italy so off we go.

I'd love things to get sorted enough so that there's a real international 24 circuit with a world champs at the end... it'll happen eventually but in the meantime, competition is good for the sport - the riders know who is the best and the promoters will fall over themselves to get the best riders to their events. This can only be a good thing right?

rangie

Likes Dirt
24hr solo

It's great to see the sport moving forward and dates set for the next three years (especially) after this years debacle.

Well done to all concerned, especially corc and all the people working tirelessly behind the scenes.

CORC have repeatedly shown how events can be put on for both racers and spectators alike. The solo nats in easter is just an example of the fantastic vibe that exists in our sport!

Fanbloodytastic!!

Thank you

mtnbike

Squid
Package

Hi Hi - we've been doing trips OS, road and MTB, for a few years now. We're based in Syd and have great contacts to put together flights or we could organise a trip where we could meet you there. We can supply, pick up at airport/train station, mechanic, food and accommodation either side of the races.
My question would be - how many people would be interested in such a package? Then I could put some numbers together.
Cheers - Will
www.twowheeltours.com.au

Anti_Trainer

Likes Dirt
Unlike some people who use this forum, I don't wind up thinking person X or Y is a total cock because they think Purple is clearly a shade of Red, not a shade of Blue.
On a related topic I just had a conversation with my better half about a dress she's interested in.
I said "Oh the red dress" to which she replied "No it's tabasco"
I feel your pain.

As for Italy in May - I'm currently hampered by Norway at xmas time.
(Maybe if all of Red_Racers bikes explode at the Scott?
But I'm sure I'm not the only bloke in Oz that wants that $2500 plane ticket)

p.s. I heard a rumour RR was racing pairs anyway!

akashra

Eats Squid
On a related topic I just had a conversation with my better half about a dress she's interested in.
I said "Oh the red dress" to which she replied "No it's tabasco"
I feel your pain.
http://blog.xkcd.com/2010/05/03/color-survey-results/
The color names that were disproportionately popular amongst men isn't at all surprising :D

Also, RR in pairs? For a 24hr? Hm, that's going to disappoint at least two riders I know of who wanted to take a crack at beating him :/

UKmatt

Likes Bikes
Just to let all you Aussies know, but everyone I know in the UK will be supporting the new series and many will be making the journey to Italy next May.

I don't know the full details but I know at least 2 of our 24hr event organisers agreed to host the 24HOA, one even flew him over to see the course but for whatever reason it didn't happen. I know the event organisers were all for it. This new series/championships sounds fantastic and I and all the UK riders I know will support it.

MONTRD

Likes Bikes
how's this for an idea

ok I read the recent announcement by CORC regarding the alternate solo 24hr world championship race and I thought oh no here we go again, Mont vs Scott, club vs private promoter, 26 vs 29, ss vs geared. talk about a combative lot for such a small sport.
So here are a few ideas to ponder/ruminate on/ disuss on this whole issue of two different solo 24 hr world champs per year:

T4 24 hr world championship - there you are, no imagination required but how about a 24 hr world championship for the teams of 4. From my observations it is the most aggressive and combative side of 24 hr racing, with a huge amount of interest, and well supported sponsor wise. I don't want to take anything away from the incredible efforts and dedication of the solo riders and pit crews but the fastest guys and gals out there are racing in the teams of 4. Even Gordo rides in a team of 4 when there is no solo category. Some of the better world ranked XC riders would be up for that I'm guessing.
How about a World Series of 24 hrs races, there is a challenge for you CORC, link up a series of the best 24 hr races in each continent and then have a World Championship. Adventure Racing, that other crazy endurance sport that started about the same time as 24 hr racing has a world series,why not 24 hr mtb races. PS don't tell the UCI, they aren't interested in 24 hr racing even though it is one of the major growth and feeder sides of the sport.
Before any of you start flaming me in such a boring typical Farkin style, please understand that I am supportive of at least one solo 24 hr world championship each year, I am also supportive of CORC and I do understand the huge effort and energy required by private promoters to fight for every dollar they earn. I have been on both sides of that fence.
So rotor burners, who wants to support a Teams of 4 World Championship Race?
Hey CORC executive, take this idea to the ACT government and see if it will fly for the anniversary celebrations in 2013? maybe two World Champs Races one week apart in Canberra.