gap year

nedls1234

Likes Dirt
hey guys
im in year 12 this year and im going to have a gap year before i start uni.
what i want to do for part of my gap year is get a job on a ski field in cannada or japan or somewhere similar.
just wondering if any of you guys have done something like this?
the main reason im posting this is to find help on how to go about finding and pre arranging a job for the next ski season?
any help would be appreciated
thanks

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
Yeah i thought about doing it, and came to the conclusion it would cost too much and is a lot more effort than it would be just to get drunk in europe. It's quite hard to organise, especially if you don't have a contact that can hook you up with a job on the fields. and then the cost alone of lugging ski gear from australia to the ski field is astronomical.

good luck if you find a way to do it economically. i'd be keen to know how you did it

todd28

Likes Dirt
I have been thinking about this too. but i would rather do it in thredbo for about 6 months. I'm pretty keen to hear from some one who has done this too.

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
I'm am defiantly going to take one. Myself and a few mates have a plan to move into our mates place that he should be acquiring from his parents mid February next year. From that I am hoping to keep a stable job somewhere (be it at coles, at the pool, sevies or whatever) a couple of days each week. Enough to live off of, and just enjoy my year relaxing and riding my bike.

The future after that is up to my OP. If I get a poor OP I will either head off to a tafe or get into building with my mates dads company.

So the gap year plan, is to enjoy life before uni/9-5 or 12hour days working, make some money on the side, ride the bike and get loose.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
I didn't decide to do a gap year for the following reasons: Wasn't 18 - being underage sucks, but then again I went to the US this year and was 20 - I had no problems finding fun there. Lack of funds. Wanted to get my uni degree done, and wait to do my travelling after uni.

I'm heading into my 4th year of Uni and just got back from working 3 months at Northstar ski resort in Lake Tahoe, California.I went over with very little funds ($2000 max) and came back with about $1500 in my pocket. It was the single best experience of my life. The people you meet, the snow you get to ski, the places you see, the parties you go to are all incredible. I was working in the village checking in peoples ski's (was a free service the resort offered). The work was pretty boring, but it tipped well and at the end of the day, all I wanted was the free season lift pass.

Anyway, I did it through a company called CCUSA (they organise the Camp America stuff too). It was obviously more expensive than organising it yourself but they did all the hard work for you, set you up with an interview etc. They do 6 month programs to Canada which sounds exactly like what you're after.

So, consider that as an option - you get to study and get closer to having a degree (if thats what you want) its a great way to spend your uni holidays and much better than sitting in your home town doing a job you hate.

Last edited:

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I thought about it, then decided to wait until after uni. Uni lifestyle is cruisy enough without a gap year before it, and after I finish my degree, I'll be a whole lot more educated and have some qualifications to work somewhere decent overseas, even if it's just a part time job to fund beer and adventures (plus I'll be over 21 so hello USA etc.).

Escapegoat

Escapegoat
I say just do it. As mentioned above using someone like CCUSA to organise everything is a great way to start off- it will save you a hell of a lot of headache, and they can probably sort you out a job before you go.

I did this inbetween uni years working in the US each summer, then got the bug so much I continued on doing a further 5 winter seasons (4 in Europe, 1 in the States) and fitted in working summer seasons elsewhere. Had an amazing few years, travelled loads, met loads of cool people, did some amazing snowboarding, and ended up with a wife too. Now going riding to Hotham just doesn't do it!