Garage Wall Mounts

AnthonyB

Squid
Hi All,

I need to get a few of the household bikes off the ground and trying to decide the best options. I quite like the style that just hold the frame top bar - it seems to me to be the "kindest" for the bike, but they ultimately wouldn't be as efficient space-wise... Are the sort that hold the bike vertically by the front wheel (and often pivot) ok also? It seems to me that they'd put unnecessary pressure on the front forks/suspension/headset etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I've had a number of my bikes hanging on a front wheel style arrangement for a number of years now without an issue, including a bike with a Lefty.
The cheap Bunnings ones do the job but aren't all that robust. Steadyrack looks appealing but costly, but I must admit, if I were to do it again I'd look at them. I've got the Topeak single wall hanging ones, quite robust and have an extra hanging arm for your helmet.

AnthonyB

Squid
I've had a number of my bikes hanging on a front wheel style arrangement for a number of years now without an issue, including a bike with a Lefty.
The cheap Bunnings ones do the job but aren't all that robust. Steadyrack looks appealing but costly, but I must admit, if I were to do it again I'd look at them. I've got the Topeak single wall hanging ones, quite robust and have an extra hanging arm for your helmet.
Thanks very much Fred, good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm definitely going for Steadyrack when I build the new house. 10% discount for two or more, free shipping. Not the cheapest but they are a quality item and very space efficient.

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
I’ve been using a few of the bunnings ones (that hold the front wheel only) for about 12 months now. They are like 6 bucks each. No problems so far and so easy - they are set at the right height for each bike so I just wheel the bike up and with a little twist of the bars hook the front wheel in. Rear wheel still sits on the ground. So much easier than ceiling mounted hooks that you have to lift the bike up to.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I’ve been using a few of the bunnings ones (that hold the front wheel only) for about 12 months now. They are like 6 bucks each. No problems so far and so easy - they are set at the right height for each bike so I just wheel the bike up and with a little twist of the bars hook the front wheel in. Rear wheel still sits on the ground. So much easier than ceiling mounted hooks that you have to lift the bike up to.
I've got some of those mounted on a wall, only issue is that the rubber comes off the hook itself. Scratched a front rim that way, so need to be careful.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Airbnb we stayed in over this weekend just gone had Steadyracks, and I have to admit I was pretty impressed with them. Seem far better than other wall mounts I've seen/used in the past - was already considering getting some before seeing this thread.

AnthonyB

Squid
Seems that SteadyRack is supposed to also leave the back wheel on the ground? I presume this isn’t required if you want it higher up and are prepared to lift the bike!

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems that SteadyRack is supposed to also leave the back wheel on the ground? I presume this isn’t required if you want it higher up and are prepared to lift the bike!

Yeah you can have it either way. I prefer the back wheel just off the ground as it makes it easier to move the bike around while it’s on the rack.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
What kind of garage have you got? In the past I've used the Bunnings style that fix to the wall and hook the front wheel (like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/storease-bike-hook_p2580034) and they were OK, but you had to be very careful in setup to get the spacing & hieght right for multiple bikes to nest. And when using fat tyres (2.5WT & 2.6) they needed a bit of encouragement to get the wheel in.

In the house we moved into a few years ago, it had a freestanding steel shed (6.5m x 4m) in the yard, with rather large framing, but given the steel walls, no ability to easily bolt stuff to it. My solution was to hang chain between the uprights (2 sections of 3m) and use normal storage hooks, bent in a vice to give a nice offset S shape, with heat shrink on the "hang area" to protect the rims from scratches.

It's been bloody brilliant as it's really easy to tweak the arrangement by just moving the hooks, I can hang my many other rims & wheelsets & forks on spare links in between and the large S hook makes it really easy to hang the bike on.

Depending on the structure you've got though, you'll have to be careful with force multiplication from either pulling your anchors or pulling your walls.

I'll take a few pics tonnight to highlight the setup for you.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
In the house we moved into a few years ago, it had a freestanding steel shed (6.5m x 4m) in the yard, with rather large framing, but given the steel walls, no ability to easily bolt stuff to it. My solution was to hang chain between the uprights (2 sections of 3m) and use normal storage hooks, bent in a vice to give a nice offset S shape, with heat shrink on the "hang area" to protect the rims from scratches.

I'll take a few pics tonnight to highlight the setup for you.
Super interested in what this looks like.

I've been trying to decide how I was going to set mine up in a similar style shed.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

AnthonyB

Squid
Would be great to see some pics. In my case, I have near 5.5m of wall (brick / baton / gyprock) but the cars nose in to this area…

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Sorry for the early morning shaky pics, grabbed a few quick snaps while wrangling my daughter off to daycare... It should give you a good idea though (and highlight that I should probably sweep off the roof!). In my case I've used the existing bolts to install fixed hangers (Fixe Climbing Hanger #1), then attached the 10mm chains using a 10mm quicklink (Maillon Rapide). You can see a bunch of the hooks I use and a bunch of the other crap hung in spare spaces. The extra chain links hang down off the middle frame, although you can have the extra whereever works for you.

It lets me compress and expand the spacing as needed, when different bikes are bought and sold. Currently the number of bikes allows for all front wheels up, but it's easy enough to alternate front and rear wheel hanging when there's a couple more bikes in there.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Will see what photos I can dig up, but long story short, my bikes are on the outer wall of my garage, constructed with 150mm block so I don't have the attachment issues you might.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Will see what photos I can dig up, but long story short, my bikes are on the outer wall of my garage, constructed with 150mm block so I don't have the attachment issues you might.
That's definitely ideal! And in that case I'd probably have a few 90x45 runners along the wall at 2 or three heights to bolt the mounts to.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I use a variety of the Clug and a fold down hook (similar to this: https://www.pushys.com.au/bbb-btl-93-wallmount-foldable-bicycle-storage-hook.html)

Neither are ideal solutions. I used the Clug because it was cost effective, easy to put in and take out the bike and suited fixing to one horizontal 70x45 hardwood member on the wall. The downside is that it's a bit dependent on tyre size (so I have 2 sizes for different bikes) and took much jiggling can cause the bikes to fall unexpectedly. Doesn't happen much, but has a few times with encouragement for kids, slightly flat tyres or just being a klutz.

The hook isn't as good as it could be. It's good to keep the bike off the ground and out of the way, so kids bikes can move under it. The rubber protection wore off too quickly, which risked scratching the bike frame on the bare metal ends; nothing a stack of electrical tape and some foam matting couldn't fix. It's a bit harder on the back as well, as you have to life the bike off the ground and reach a bit at times.

Both fulfil their function though: Space saving, and with bikes removed they can be totally out of the way to bring a car in to the garage. So, I'll keep them for now.

I have used the steadyracks at my work EOT facilities; they're pretty good all around. At the right height they're easy in/out and secure for the most part. When I eventually get a new house and start over, that's the way I'm aiming to go.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would be great to see some pics. In my case, I have near 5.5m of wall (brick / baton / gyprock) but the cars nose in to this area…

Steadyracks would work well here if you space them so you can fold the bikes against the wall.