Garmin 500 vs Strava/ Runtastic

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Don't get me wrong. I love strava. Love comparing myself against mates and myself. Just curious how it can be rorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camoshop

Banned
Just found this bit of info Ibdidnt know on google,
"One for the unscrupulous, which we don't condone and include here purely for educational purposes...

Upload your rides to Digital EPO before logging them on Strava and you can "juice" them to make it appear that you rode faster than you actually did. Bump the average speed up one per cent for a subtle advantage, or go the whole hog and steal all the KOMs in your county - but you're only cheating yourself."
I wonder how many people actually do this!

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Considering the fastest time at Hennessey Hill dh track is 45sec@78kph avg speed (1km track) then yeah, I'd say a few do it....

camoshop

Banned
Yeah there's been a few places I've been where it's been an up hill segment, where most of the leader board sits around 10 to 15 km/h up a steep hill and then the kom is 35km you have to wonder are they on drugs or just juiced their ride haha

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That's what I'm talking about, if the KOM is a bit of an outlier, then disregard.

I just get annoyed that sometimes I know full well that I've blitzed my best time and it tells me I'm off by like 20%. Or, I'm just out on a cruise and I PR by a ridiculous degree. These are just the times that are noticeably out, there are bound to be many others out but you're just not aware of it.

Minlak, I reckon I'm just going to wait until there's a leap in technology. Two of my main loops have regular traffic obstacles as well as as 6 gates that have to be climbed over.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was an article that showed what rides that have been modified look like, generally if you go into the speed data or elevation etc you will see little jumps every so often where it's been changed tom make the whole ride faster etc, you do need to zoom right in on the data graphs though.

scblack

Leucocholic
There was an article that showed what rides that have been modified look like, generally if you go into the speed data or elevation etc you will see little jumps every so often where it's been changed tom make the whole ride faster etc, you do need to zoom right in on the data graphs though.
I read the same, if you dig into the speed data, the graph looks jagged, rather than smooth. I have not looked this close myself but I do agree with you.

camoshop

Banned
That's what I'm talking about, if the KOM is a bit of an outlier, then disregard.

I just get annoyed that sometimes I know full well that I've blitzed my best time and it tells me I'm off by like 20%. Or, I'm just out on a cruise and I PR by a ridiculous degree. These are just the times that are noticeably out, there are bound to be many others out but you're just not aware of it.

Minlak, I reckon I'm just going to wait until there's a leap in technology. Two of my main loops have regular traffic obstacles as well as as 6 gates that have to be climbed over.
i guess you could always go old school and just use a stop watch and pause it when you hit your obstacles, and just record each time you do it on paper and see if you have improved or not.

camoshop

Banned
I read the same, if you dig into the speed data, the graph looks jagged, rather than smooth. I have not looked this close myself but I do agree with you.

yeah if you zoom in it will look like this ^^^ i wonder if you can do that if they have their account on private though?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
i guess you could always go old school and just use a stop watch and pause it when you hit your obstacles, and just record each time you do it on paper and see if you have improved or not.
YEh, I'd be happy with a watch where I could just hit a button as I ride past landmarks and I could check the data when I return. Stopping to to record stuff would screw the timing of the overall loop, not to mention lessen the flow of the ride.

takai

Eats Squid
If you think that a KOM is squiffy, then you can just 'Report Data' and the Strava people come and have a look at it.

I had a ride reported where my iPhone was doing weird things, but it wasnt noticed for a couple of years because there wasnt a segment created there.

takai

Eats Squid
YEh, I'd be happy with a watch where I could just hit a button as I ride past landmarks and I could check the data when I return. Stopping to to record stuff would screw the timing of the overall loop, not to mention lessen the flow of the ride.
What about something like this?