Garmin 510 Strava Live Segments

hakka

Likes Dirt
There's a new firmware out today that enables Strava live segments on the Garmin 510. It doesn't come with any instructions on how to get it working.

The following process worked for me:

Plug the 510 into the pc and and Garmin Express should notify you of the available update, install the update, disconnect the 510 and reboot.
It will take a few minutes to reboot and finish the installation.

Use Garmin Express to open the Garmin Connect webpage, when its open (it took a while for everything to appear for me) click on the gear icon at the top of the segments window, and select 'use Strava segments'. It will ask you to authorize garmin to connect to your strava account (you need to do this even if your accounts are already connected). Authorizing from the strava page does not work, it must be done form the Garmin page.

On your strava page go to the Dashboard menu>my segments. Untick 'use popular segments' or it will fill your device with a bunch of roadie segments. Your starred segments appear here, these are the ones that get transferred to the 510.

Plug the 510 into the computer and Garmin express will tell you there are files waiting to be installed, click install.

On the 510 the segments can be found by clicking the folder icon>strava live segments, they can be enabled/disabled from here. Select the segment, go to leaderboard and it will give you the option of comparing your run to your PR, the KOM or the fastest of your Strava friends. The comparison can be seen on the map screen or virtual partner screen during the activity.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Cheers Hakka. I've been looking forward to this and wasn't expecting it to be released so soon. Thanks for the reminder. After not getting it to work I remembered it's only available to Premium members, then saw that there was a free 3 month trial. Bonus !

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Hakka - is it just strava or a whole suite of updates. I noticed the 520 had v02 max etc. Does the firmware make this available for 510?

hakka

Likes Dirt
Just tried it out on a ride. It's shit!

I rode 12 segments, it dropped 8 of those before the half way mark. The 4 that it did track through to the end were 3 straight line roadie segments and one off road segment about 80meters long. It was beeping every 5 seconds telling me I was off segment when there was no segment active. It kept picking up segments running in the opposite direction and missed a few of the ones it should have picked up.

I'd be pissed off if I bought a 520 just to get this feature.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Just tried it out on a ride. It's shit!

I rode 12 segments, it dropped 8 of those before the half way mark. The 4 that it did track through to the end were 3 straight line roadie segments and one off road segment about 80meters long. It was beeping every 5 seconds telling me I was off segment when there was no segment active. It kept picking up segments running in the opposite direction and missed a few of the ones it should have picked up.

I'd be pissed off if I bought a 520 just to get this feature.
Haha that sounds terrible. I'll have got test my new 510 tomorrow with this.

gregb

Likes Dirt
I can picture the strava warriors so wrapped in thier computer they don't see the tree/car/pothole etc. Should make for some good you-tube.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Hakka - Where is the untick popular segments in strava? I can't find it and I'm now spammed with rubbish roadie stuff.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I have premium as required.

I followed all your instructions, however I starred 17 segments and none are on the Garmin Strava folder! Crap!

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I just checked the latest upload and although it appears that I have all my starred strava segments on the 510, I have random ones like Mt Ainslie, Bruce Ridge etc. I don't even ride those places and since I don't have the option in my strava account to disable the 'popular segements' I'm not sure what is going on.

Oh well, time to ride!

hakka

Likes Dirt
Don't stress too much, they wont work anyway.

I just removed all the segments from mine and the 510 is a lot more responsive now. I was getting a 3-4 second lag before it would respond to a button press.