Garmin 530 versus 830

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Cheers guys. Can't find much pointing at either being a bad choice so will give em a go. From what I can tell the Garmins don't have the ANGi integration - Wahoo it is.
Wahoo also has Live track. Can send a link and the person can see where you are on a map. I use it on night rides so if the dot is not moving for a while the wife can call to see if I am ok. Garmin has this too I think but requires Strava.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Wahoo also has Live track. Can send a link and the person can see where you are on a map. I use it on night rides so if the dot is not moving for a while the wife can call to see if I am ok. Garmin has this too I think but requires Strava.
Yep, strava is required

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
OK if you are the super cautious type but another piece of idiot tech IMHO , more trouble than it is worth.
It would never work for me , too easy to set it off.
There are not that many injuries where you would not be able to use your phone .
Take it from me, I have had too many to list.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Replaced my 1000 with a 530 last year, hated it. It worked OK I guess, but I found the buttons a bit fiddly and well basically it didnt have a touch screen so gave it to my GF and got an 830. Much better, touch screen was better than the 1000 and overall it was easier to use than the 530.
But then I found it too small so ended up getting a 1030 which, apart from the touch screen being only OK (better than 1000, not as good as 830), is brilliant for me.
For me, the 830 was much better, and worth the extra $ over the 530.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No do not need Strava for livetrack on garmin, just a phone bluetoothed to it.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Replaced my 1000 with a 530 last year, hated it. It worked OK I guess, but I found the buttons a bit fiddly and well basically it didnt have a touch screen so gave it to my GF and got an 830. Much better, touch screen was better than the 1000 and overall it was easier to use than the 530.
But then I found it too small so ended up getting a 1030 which, apart from the touch screen being only OK (better than 1000, not as good as 830), is brilliant for me.
For me, the 830 was much better, and worth the extra $ over the 530.
Sounds like the 530 would be good for me then hate touch screen .
Its OK in place but on long trips when travelling and thick gloves its a pain.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK if you are the super cautious type but another piece of idiot tech IMHO , more trouble than it is worth.
It would never work for me , too easy to set it off.
There are not that many injuries where you would not be able to use your phone .
Take it from me, I have had too many to list.
The catalyst for me finally deciding to look into it properly was a mate's stack 4 weeks ago - bit of a wakeup call. Went out for a quick solo ride, woke up 2 hours later in hospital with almost every bone in his face fractured/broken, severe concussion with some vision loss & total memory loss of the entire ride & a bit prior. Ambos apparently weren't expecting him to make it (was going into major seizures on way to hosp), only reason he's still alive is fortunately someone found him & acted quickly to make the call & get the paramedics there asap. We still don't know exactly what happened or the cause of the crash. The odds are extremely low, but they're definitely there. :oops:

Anyways, have the Elemnt Bolt in my hands & waiting for the sensor to rock up. Seems like a nice little bit of kit, probably overkill for what i'm wanting out of it but who knows, maybe it'll help get some structured training in.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Thats possible.
In an older person its usually a heart irregularity or arrythmia or cardiac arrest.
Maybe your friend crashed badly or has epilepsy and lost consciousness.
Later please Tell us your experiences with the device.
I am interested in a good way being a doctor who is asked about these things.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thats possible.
In an older person its usually a heart irregularity or arrythmia or cardiac arrest.
Maybe your friend crashed badly or has epilepsy and lost consciousness.
Later please Tell us your experiences with the device.
I am interested in a good way being a doctor who is asked about these things.
Just recently, two people passed on the same trail here within a few months from cardiac arrest, I've been led to believe one from previous heart issues and the other was caused from a severe impact that somehow later resulted in heart failure.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah about 3 weeks ago a friend's road riding group was a bit shocked when a 72 yo fell off his bike with a cardiac arrest and they were unable to revive him w CPR but no nearby defibrillator .
[ Yeah I know he was a road rider and deserved it.]
He had been waiting for an ablation in Melbourne to stop arrythmias.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
On separate but not unrelated topic, I recently broke the screen of my Magellan 505 and can no longer replace it as Magellan said they don't have the parts anymore. Shame, but I need the screen as I use it to navigate around unknown trails. Looking for replacement, and thinking of getting an Apple watch with cellular capability + workoutdoors app (http://www.workoutdoors.net/) for navigation. Anyone here have used apple watch before in trails? how does it compare with the Garmins?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
On separate but not unrelated topic, I recently broke the screen of my Magellan 505 and can no longer replace it as Magellan said they don't have the parts anymore.
Have you asked them for a replacement price as they can no longer get the parts ? Price to upgrade to the current model. They might accommodate if you ask.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Have you asked them for a replacement price as they can no longer get the parts ? Price to upgrade to the current model. They might accommodate if you ask.
No I didn't. Never occurred to my mind to do so actually. I might ask. However, I'm happy to switch to different brand if it's better.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Have witnessed 3 different mates shed a tear when their $1000+ garmin watch exploded / shattered upon impact with the ground, could have just been unlucky, but when you take a spill its normally knees elbows and forearms that cop it, i'll stick to my edge530.
2 have downgraded to a Garmin Edge and 1 is using strava app on his phone.

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
I just visit eBay a few times and purchase things when they send me a voucher. Just upgraded to to the 830 from a 510, for like $420 after eBay vouchers & 3% eBay discount gift card from my bank.

Picked the 830 due to touch function being similar to the 510, and ultimately needed it for trainer control as the 510 lacks ant-fe connectivity.

Only downside no USB 3.0.

Was considering the wahoo but CBB changing ecosystems as have been with Garmin for around a decade and the reporting is easy to digest

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Have witnessed 3 different mates shed a tear when their $1000+ garmin watch exploded / shattered upon impact with the ground, could have just been unlucky, but when you take a spill its normally knees elbows and forearms that cop it, i'll stick to my edge530.
2 have downgraded to a Garmin Edge and 1 is using strava app on his phone.
have a mate who is on his fifth unit/repair in 18 months -that watch is on warranty more than he has it on his wrist