Garmin 530 versus 830

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Legends,

Hope all is well in the Covid world. I’ve been using a Magellan Cyclo 505 as a GPS and am over it. Keeps losing connection with heart thingo, needs reformatting all the time and clearly is end of life.

So I’m pondering a Garmin 530 or 830. Is it worth dropping the coin for the 830? Doesn’t seem to be a massive jump in functionality but has touch screen and a few other smarts. What are people’s thoughts?

I ride XC and would use daily.

Cheers,

Coast

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Legends,
Hope all is well in the Covid world. I’ve been using a Magellan Cyclo 505 as a GPS and am over it. Keeps losing connection with heart thingo, needs reformatting all the time and clearly is end of life
software issues have plagued most devices, garmin chief among these, they sell a lot of devices but there are some bad ones about there, a mate is on his 3rd watch, in 12months he’s had it to use for about 6, it was one of their 500+ units too, a mate moved to hammerhead, he much prefers to the 830 he had, reckons software is much better. my brytin has been very stable. the maps if you need them are a big plus for garmin, when reading with a mate, he uses it all the time - his sense of direction is a-fairly poor, its really good to b able to flick thru without getting phone out

on the touchscreen, be aware some gloves -if you wear them don’t play nicely,

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
If you haven’t done so already, check out DC Rainmakers reviews, very in depth:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-830-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

I am currently using a Wahoo Elemnt bolt. You use your phone to set up and it has been a very solid device, no touch screen like my old Garmin 800 but I don’t miss it. The device is a few years old and would hope Wahoo would be releasing an update sometime soon but they do release firmware updates regularly to keep bugs away and add new features.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hammerhead Karoo ! Awesome GPS, same android operating system as the Galaxy S9. Lightning fast, zero lag in any function, massive screen, mapping is unreal and the battery lasts for 5-6 rides... 12+ hrs depending on screen brightness.

Downside: Not for weight weenies, weighs in at 186g (google) its a hefty beast.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Hammerhead Karoo ! Awesome GPS, same android operating system as the Galaxy S9. Lightning fast, zero lag in any function, massive screen, mapping is unreal and the battery lasts for 5-6 rides... 12+ hrs depending on screen brightness.

Downside: Not for weight weenies, weighs in at 186g (google) its a hefty beast.
Downside:
Battery is on the short end

ozzybmx

Downside:
Battery is on the short end
Mines been pretty good, not noticing much difference to the past modern Garmins I've owned.

My Garmin used to sit in darkness on a night ride if the battery was low, the HK at the lowest setting still has an amazing backlight, as bright as Garmin on full. I keep the wifi, cellular and all that stuff turned off, running no sensors either.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Mines been pretty good, not noticing much difference to the past modern Garmins I've owned.

My Garmin used to sit in darkness on a night ride if the battery was low, the HK at the lowest setting still has an amazing backlight, as bright as Garmin on full. I keep the wifi, cellular and all that stuff turned off, running no sensors either.
The new 530/830's are getting 20hrs and I think the wahoo roam is similar

ozzybmx

The new 530/830's are getting 20hrs and I think the wahoo roam is similar
That's way longer !

Garmin replaced my 820 on 3 occasions, so I had 4 in total, the screen halo and screen delamination were the warranty issue each time. Fair play to Garmin Aus, they replaced it each time with no problems.
It used to get ~14hrs on the 820 with the BT, WiFi off and screen backlight down.

Their operating system was outdated and slow, I decided to try something different this time.

I had 10 years of Garmins, 500, 810 x 2 , 820 x 4 and recently bought an edge 25 which has been used once.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
That's way longer !

Garmin replaced my 820 on 3 occasions, so I had 4 in total, the screen halo and screen delamination were the warranty issue each time. Fair play to Garmin Aus, they replaced it each time with no problems.
It used to get ~14hrs on the 820 with the BT, WiFi off and screen backlight down.

Their operating system was outdated and slow, I decided to try something different this time.

I had 10 years of Garmins, 500, 810 x 2 , 820 x 4 and recently bought an edge 25 which has been used once.
I've owned:
Polar 520
SRM PC IV
SRM PC V
Garmin Edge 705(?)
Cycleops something something
Garmin 500
Garmin 510
Garmin 520
Garmin 1000
Wahoo Bolt
Wahoo Elemnt
SRM PC VIII
Garmin 830

I've been lucky in that my computers have always just worked. The only one on the list I hated was the Garmin 1000 due to the touch screen.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
+1 for garmin 530, no dramas in the last 6 months or so. Battery life is great compared to my old 130.
Has some fancy MTB metrics in it which are kind of useless, unless you like having things beep at you while youre riding and displaying "GREAT JUMP"
Also good for navigation or planning a route ahead of time now that I've worked out how to do that.

ozzybmx

Garmin 510
Ahhh... yes one of them too, was only for a few months though.

My reliance on a computer for racing has taken a backseat to mapping detail and speed of updating. The issues I had while doing the Mawson trail last year was painful, probably didn't help that the 820 had a small screen and wasn't really made for touring.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Garmin 800 series is overly complex, suitable for millenials only and the touchscreen is a pain in the arse.
Mine was an enforced replacement for a pushbutton no longer made , I have always hated it.
If you forget to switch it off put it in your pocket it rubs and anything can come up.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking to get first GPS/computer & out of my depth, primarily for use with ANGi crash sensor (so I can turn false alerts off without messing about getting phone out), but also for basic distance/time/elevation stats

Any reason to not just get an Elemnt Bolt? (or an ANGi for that matter?)

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Think carefully before you use that .
A friend had one with an Apple watch what a clusterfuck.
If he used a hammer it would go off unbeknown to himand his family would be alerted in panic.
Yeah, having heard stories along this line i'm cautious, but most of them seem to be in relation to the Garmin version whereas I can't find much bad info on the Angi (or much info at all for that matter mind). Figured if I have the screen in front of me, at least there's a visual warning.

Given I ride solo most of the time though, i'm happy to at least give it a go - something is better than nothing (I hope).

Minlak

custom titis
The Garmin units themselves have a fall / crash function as long as it’s paired with a smartphone and in mobile range - some of the Garmin trekking options have an in- reach feature that uses satellites to get a message out.

I was always going to use these features - did a lot of solo hunting and still do a lot of solo riding - just haven’t set anything up

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Looking to get first GPS/computer & out of my depth, primarily for use with ANGi crash sensor (so I can turn false alerts off without messing about getting phone out), but also for basic distance/time/elevation stats

Any reason to not just get an Elemnt Bolt? (or an ANGi for that matter?)
My Garmin 820 has the crash sensor and it works great while mounted to the stem, but is a bit touchy on the extended front mount. You can cancel it from the screen with a two part tap and separate hold. Mrs George loves it because at least she can give a location to my rescuers.

Mrs George has only received one accidental message so far. I was preparing for the Otway Odyessey, I unknowingly hit the requset help message, and wandered off to the shitter. Thankfully I had my phone on me when she called to see how dead I actually was.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
They are not that good and the 530/830 now disable it for the MTB profile on the latest firmware.
ANGI will pair with a bolt, but I have never used it as when I had it on the helmet it was with the specialized app.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys. Can't find much pointing at either being a bad choice so will give em a go. From what I can tell the Garmins don't have the ANGi integration - Wahoo it is.