Gates Belt Drive

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Who's actually run one? Doing the long term planning for my next bike, and am after some real-world experience with belt-drives. The setup I am looking at will probably be in conjunction with a Pinion gearbox, so I'm not too concerned about the potential couple of percent efficiency loss, more interested in reliability/lifespan for MTB applications, etc...

Reasons I (theoretically) want one is for quiteness and "no maintenance".

@Zaf @Ackland

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I haven't run one but have ridden one.
They aren't as maintenance free as you think and the split frames can creak and/or be a weak point.

Also, much of my disgust is that I don't like em so feel free to write me off as a grumpy luddite

beeb

I haven't run one but have ridden one.
They aren't as maintenance free as you think and the split frames can creak and/or be a weak point.

Also, much of my disgust is that I don't like em so feel free to write me off as a grumpy luddite
I realise they probably need a bit of a scrub down now and then, I'm a bit of a fair-weather rider and don't do a lot of kms so it probably won't be too drastic for me. I'm honestly more concerned about it squeaking in dusty conditions!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm all in for the gearbox, and the belt. If I buy new it'll be a Zerode with the belt.

If my frame ever gets done, that'll be belt driven as well with a Pinion box.

At this rate you'll probably get one before me, so you can let me know. But if done miracle happens and I get one up and running before you, I'll let you know.

Are you looking at hardtail or dually?

beeb

I'm all in for the gearbox, and the belt. If I buy new it'll be a Zerode with the belt.

If my frame ever gets done, that'll be belt driven as well with a Pinion box.

At this rate you'll probably get one before me, so you can let me know. But if done miracle happens and I get one up and running before you, I'll let you know.

Are you looking at hardtail or dually?
Final evolution of my Waltly hardtail project. Probably order the Cinq thumb shifters too. Love the concept of the gearbox, hate moving my hands around a lot though so grip-shift is a non-starter for me.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
@Zaf had issues from memory, chaged out the belt for chain drive on his G15.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

beeb

@Zaf had issues from memory, chaged out the belt for chain drive on his G15.

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk
Belt went back on once teething issues were resolved I believe. I would have the benefit of running it on a hardtail, so no sprung chain tensioners or weird belt rub issues on stays or linkages should avoid the issues Zaf had early days (fingers crossed!)

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
guy in ballarat had one on rough gravel bike, SS had bad tension problems, squeeked a bit and he had it super tight, when he put it on the rohloff he was much happier, put lot more km’s on it compared with a chain, quick hose to keep clean, he said it didn’t like grit either, not from wear but noise/smoothness

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
guy in ballarat had one on rough gravel bike, SS had bad tension problems, squeeked a bit and he had it super tight, when he put it on the rohloff he was much happier, put lot more km’s on it compared with a chain, quick hose to keep clean, he said it didn’t like grit either, not from wear but noise/smoothness
Was that a version before the centre track they use now?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Looking to go Gates carbon on the next fat bike build, their website lists something called 9-spline for the freehub interface of the rear sprocket. I'm assuming this is just a Shimano HG driver, never heard of it referred to as 9-spline before.

EDIT: Sent a PM to Zaf as I realised he was probably pre-occupied with his impending ban, he confirmed that 9-spline is just Gates speak for 'it fits on a standard Shimano HG freehub'.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Just going to say if you plan to waltly mid drive belt, then yeah that's next on my list too. Depending on how well that hot wax stuff works to keep dirt out!

Had a alfine gates belt. Cannot fault the thing. The only bit worth noting that belt drive folks don't tell you about is that you need to absolutely nail the chainline and tension for it all to be kosher. The belt system itself was great but all the bits around it sucked badly. In mass produced bikes they can get away with short hub or BB bearing life, but since it's yours you want to get this as spot on as possible.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I'm currently discussing options with a local frame builder so it's a no to Walty but yes to mid drive belt. I tend to do a lot of beach and sand dune k's so wax is the only option for the chain and although it's not bad belt drive should be far superior in theory.