Gay men in Studley Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryO

Squid
I've been riding through Studley Park (Melb) for a few years now, and I must air my grievances about the area known as "Poofters Loop" - the little circuit road near Dights Falls.

At least 5 times in the last few months I have seen sometimes up to 3 men at once treating each others bodies like amusement parks. Not once have they tried to conceal their activities. I almost fell off my bike once.

I've had to stop riding through that section now, which is dissapointing because I like the descent behind the monument.

Surely I'm not the only one to have seen these things - does anyone else avoid this area as well?

Barry

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
:eek:

Cant say ive ever seen it, and i REALLY hope i dont. Can the police do anything about it?

scottmeister

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Studley Park public toilets and the surrounding area has a reputation for gay guys doing stuff in public from what I've heard. Cops wouldn't be able to do much about it unless they caught 'em in the act...

If you wanted to take the issue into your own hands, you could always confront them.

Just make sure you face foward at all times!

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Just a quick word about Farkin's rule re homophobic posts.... this thread WILL get locked down at the first sign of "poofter bashing". So discuss by all means, but tread lightly please.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Ahh, just ignore em. Don't stop riding somewhere you like because of what someone else is doing. They're not stopping riding somwhere they like because of you.

Prolly if more people started riding or just generally using the area, they'll go somewhere more private anyway.

gappy

Likes Bikes
i think straight's would far outweigh gay's with public sex but it is just that it is the norm to many so it's acceptable, and most straight's would get a cheer for doing it in public if seen.

it's a common beat and loads of them around melbourne and you usually dont have anything to worry about as they are just doing their wn thing as are many others.

if anything, and you aint homophobic you actaully make it safe for them to be in what is often an unsafe and hostile environment.

do what you are doing i would say and enjoy your riding and keep an eye out to make sure no thugs are going down to assault them...

floody

Wheel size expert
That is a bit over the top, jeebus... I would be a bit put off if any sort of people, be they hetero, gay, lesbian , whatever were "doing it" in public where I go riding.
Its not really decent behaviour, regardless of sexuality.

You know what I would do, I'd do a group ride, and when you find them going at it, politely roll up to them and inform them sensibly and politely (no swearing or rash words) that you don't like seeing such things in a public space. I bet they would be a bit taken aback!

Otherwise just keep riding. Unless your sexuality is very much uncertain, then you won't "turn" at the sight of a penis or two men in flagrante delicto, so get over it.

S.

ex offender
Well, it's called Yarra BEND Park for a reason... it's not very straight ;)

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Whilst agree that it's just not cricket, it's harmless. Tacky.......but harmless.

Reptileman

Likes Dirt
Just ride through there as normal but every time you do, just yell out "COPS ARE COMING!!!" and watch how quickly they scatter.

LordNikon

Uber Geek
I've seen this a few times and it gives me the creeps.

What I have witnessed though does not appear to be a normal act between2 consenting adults. It looks more like some older business typehas paid for the services of a younger guy.

Sure they're not hurting anyone, and I wont stop riding there, but it sill freaks me out.

Bodin

GMBC
Yeah, Nate, thanks for overtaking me at that part of the ride the other night. I was glad I didn't have to see "the show" that you described... :eek: tee hee...

My opinion is much like others have stated - if you don't like what you're seeing in a public place, then you politely ask people to stop it. If you don't get the desired response, then you escalate the matter to a higher authority.

I'm unlikely to want to escalate this issue, however, as I'd rather that the parks around Melbourne weren't crawling with cops on high alert for offences being committed - gay men are much more likely to ignore my sometimes questionable riding activities. :)

Oram

Likes Dirt
LordNikon said:
What I have witnessed though does not appear to be a normal act between2 consenting adults. It looks more like some older business typehas paid for the services of a younger guy.
its very true about the older professional men in their suits and the young blokes.

Deleted.

well i think ive yabbed on for waaayyy to long and prob said too much

EDIT by GRIP - Yep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.