Gear box trouble

safreek

Hi(again) guys, having trouble with the gearbox.
Initially it occasionally would not go into second, now it just won't go into second, fourth or reverse. Fifth, well the stick won't move over that far so who knows.
I have tried to change gears when not running and it won't go in the bad gears, a google told me to try this first as it could be a snapped cable.

When I try to change the gears there is no grating or grinding, the stick just returns to neutral, reverse just stopped working yesterday, again it feels like it is gently being pushed back to neutral.
If it was a lack of fluid would a couple of gears still work?
Is it possible that a linkage might have disconnected?

I realize that it's hard to make a diagnosis from behind a screen with the shitty description but thought why not ask anyway.
If needed I can video it and put it on YouTube and post a link.
Cheers for any help, not much automotive open for the next couple of days.
Oh it's a 96 or 97 rav 4

AaronM

Likes Dirt
That’s linkage or pivot related. It’s possibly an issue inside the gearbox but I’d more likely say that something is obstructing movement of on the lever-like assemblies on the gearbox.

as you can get 1,3 and almost 5th it means everything is connected to a degree, however the throw isn’t happening fully in one direction.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Oh right, re read that. Yeah it’s a cable or linkage. One cable does the plane shift the other does gear selection.

If you have an assistant look at what is happening at the linkage on the top of the gearbox while your assistant moves the stick. Should be able to see if there is a lack of action at the gearbox from a failed cable.

safreek

Shall have to try and have a look shortly.
If that is the case I presume it is a much cheaper fix than clutch or box?
Thanks for the prompt answers.
Have a very happy New Year, I hope it brings you many vintage or classic mtbs

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Cables from a wrecker will be $80 or so. Changing them is a pita job. Straight forward but a pita. The floor grommit is usually covered by bits of console etc and then the cables are routed over/around/under the engine and gearbox. Assuming it is cables which seems most likely clean up all the bushes and regrease with silicon grease. Take off the counterweight blocks and do the bushes in these too. While it is apartcheck the nylon bush under the shifter itself, these wear badly, probably a good idea to change it too. It is possible the ends of the cables have worn out but you are better off replacing the lot, some of the ends are crimped on and hard to swap.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Disconnect the cable from the box and see if you can select all the gears. You'll know if the bushing is worn because you'll have a lot of free movement on the gear stick or in the eye of the cable.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Here is one someone prepared earlier. Front right hand aide. See the cable running right to left across the front? Just above the front engine mount. Probably have to pull some plastic off to get to it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I haven't looked at a Rav4 in a long time but I think the early models up until around 2000 had two shift cables and you've got to work out the shift pattern of the cable pulls and then replicate on the box. Easier checking to see if there is excess movement in the bushes on the shift cables ends.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
So I guess I will have to get under the car to check this. I am not a mechanical sort of guy
If it was a Scania, I might be able to help. It happened to me once trying to turn a 12t truck around on a dirt track in the Blue Mtns. Fencing wire saved the day.

safreek

Turns out to be a shifting cable of some kind.
The wreckers are dropping it off at the workshop today.
The mechanic has lent me a workshop it's to get around in, legend.
Mechanics name is Fausto, now there is a really cool name, never heard it before

safreek

$606 for repair, cable was 250 plus labour.
He had to cut the thing off, apparently a lot the connecting bits were rusted on and needed to be ground off.
Other geary things were rusted together as well.
Took 3 hours.
Now I am wondering if the car has been under flood water from 2017.
Is there any way to find out if this is the case

There goes my Santa Cruz and fox 36:mad: