Gear review section?

moorey

call me Mia
Possibly with a poll on each thread. Sure we'd have some slanted results, e.g Avid, but it would give a new comer the confidence to see a poll showing 87% of us agree Pikes are great.
I think it's more like 91.3% pike love :nerd:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It would require a template and it'd need the right info included. Similar to a trading area post
Well, you pretty much wheeled out the blue curtain and shot it in the head right there.

Do like the idea though. Could even attach it to the trading area, and require trading access to submit a review. Might help cut down on the dross.........or might not (see first sentence).

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Thats a good review and in a place where it has a home (a review section) it'd be recognized a lot more. The thread had 646 views, thats a shitload!
Mostly google hits I'd imagine. You'd want a lot of objective info when you're sticking your bike on a few suction cups!

I agree with the template though. Maybe some guidelines for feedback too - the hard part is someone has to consolidate the user opionions, not expect someone to trawl through many pages. i.e. OP says avid juicy's are the bomb. the next 30 pages are everyone saying how bad they are - this should be captured in the first post.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I agree with the template though. Maybe some guidelines for feedback too - the hard part is someone has to consolidate the user opionions, not expect someone to trawl through many pages. i.e. OP says avid juicy's are the bomb. the next 30 pages are everyone saying how bad they are - this should be captured in the first post.
Maybe this could be covered, or helped with a poll in the original post.

I like the template too Dozer.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Maybe some guidelines for feedback too - the hard part is someone has to consolidate the user opionions, not expect someone to trawl through many pages. i.e. OP says avid juicy's are the bomb. the next 30 pages are everyone saying how bad they are - this should be captured in the first post.
I don't think it is a bad thing to hear other peoples "thought out responses" on the OP's review, sometimes it takes that response to fully understand how good or bad the component is. I try to read every part of a review and I know it takes time, sometimes that little hidden flaw that everyone complains about could be a deal breaker not to buy. I want to know as much as I can find out about it, not just one person's thought or experiences.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Any more news on when / if this is going to happen?

I've seen a few reviews pop up recently, and they're all over the shop, some in Parts N Stuff, some in the General section. There's some good info in them and they're just going to be lost where they are at the moment.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've been away for ten days but will float this idea to the board around a table of donuts and hookers. ;)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So ah, this thing is going to happen. We want to get it underway very soon so throw some ideas at us. As far as I'm concerned, a review needs to be big on content and know-how. I'd like to see instructions for how to fit and tune parts but that will have to contain some sort of verified way of doing it so we don't get a run of newcomers fitting a Deore front shifter to a ten speed rear derailleur.
Throw us your comments folks, we'll get a section happening very soon.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
So ah, this thing is going to happen. We want to get it underway very soon so throw some ideas at us. As far as I'm concerned, a review needs to be big on content and know-how. I'd like to see instructions for how to fit and tune parts but that will have to contain some sort of verified way of doing it so we don't get a run of newcomers fitting a Deore front shifter to a ten speed rear derailleur.
Dozer, are you thinking along the lines of Pinkbike's Tech tuesday for parts fitting and overhauls?

in any case, for parts - up to date links to manufacturer manuals would be good, in addition to step by step.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Dozer, are you thinking along the lines of Pinkbike's Tech tuesday for parts fitting and overhauls?

in any case, for parts - up to date links to manufacturer manuals would be good, in addition to step by step.
I'd really like to, I'd love to see a standard set where a video is made and people adhere to it so it keeps the site driven by user input but it is a big task. For now, I think we may start with a link or an embed of manufacturer's and / or reputable mechanic's guides to fitting the pats if the user who has reviewed the product isn't up to it. Obviously we'll need to groom this section as we progress but we've all got something to offer by reviewing parts.
As for the manuals, I agree. We may add a requirement that a manual be added but we'll see how that goes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think this is a good thing for the forum!

A template...a rigidly enforced template! For the reviews anyway. It should also include pics

For the more technical stuff (fitting parts and fine tuning) I'd be inclined to find some professionals who were interested in doing it. This would avoid hacks like myself providing a half arsed how to information (such as fitting a headset with a hammer and awkwardly cut piece of ply on your kitchen bench...which works, but isn't particularly wise).