Gear review section?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I think this is a good thing for the forum!

A template...a rigidly enforced template! For the reviews anyway. It should also include pics

For the more technical stuff (fitting parts and fine tuning) I'd be inclined to find some professionals who were interested in doing it. This would avoid hacks like myself providing a half arsed how to information (such as fitting a headset with a hammer and awkwardly cut piece of ply on your kitchen bench...which works, but isn't particularly wise).
Well said poodle! I agree with everything you've written there.

There could even be a chance for a lbs to sponsor the mechanical reviews / how tos to get some exposure as well as some revenue to Rotorburn.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Hang on, aren't we dealing with two rather separate ideas here? Gear reviews and technical guides on how to use/install/maintain components.

I think review threads are a smashing idea, even though there will inevitably be brand whores waxing lyrical for no good reason other than that's what they splashed cash on. But as with all threads, all opinions will come out in the mix, providing a textual cacophony of conflicting viewpoints for the hapless potential buyer/user to wade through.

I started a kind of review on Giant dropper posts recently and felt that it was quite successful, albeit bad news for anyone who had actually purchased one...

wkkie

I started a kind of review on Giant dropper posts recently and felt that it was quite successful, albeit bad news for anyone who had actually purchased one...
Except me! I'm happy with mine! :wave:

But yeah, I think 2 different sections for sure. Gear reviews and how tos should be separated and listed in 2 different sections.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well said poodle! I agree with everything you've written there.

There could even be a chance for a lbs to sponsor the mechanical reviews / how tos to get some exposure as well as some revenue to Rotorburn.
A sponsor is a good idea. Otherwise you're really asking people to give up their trade secrets for nix and undertake a lot of handwork. Likely find some young enthusiastic camera wielder that wants some exposure as well. They seem a dime a dozen.

Hang on, aren't we dealing with two rather separate ideas here? Gear reviews and technical guides on how to use/install/maintain components.

I think review threads are a smashing idea, even though there will inevitably be brand whores waxing lyrical for no good reason other than that's what they splashed cash on. But as with all threads, all opinions will come out in the mix, providing a textual cacophony of conflicting viewpoints for the hapless potential buyer/user to wade through.

Yes, 2 very different ideas which should be housed separately. I too have posted a few gear reviews. The concept would best serve with its own area. It would also make searching easier. Some form of monitoring to prevent brand whoring or unsolicited advertising would also be good. I can think of a few members that are already pretty guilty of not posting their promotions in the correct area.

Though I haven't been encouraged to buy a shitting dog for a long time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like it quite a lot. I do think reviews would benefit from their own sub forum. It is good to see it all coming together!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sub-forum will be considered once we can gauge the level of traffic it receives. If people get on board and we get a review every week or so I'd say that a sub-forum would be warranted. Should we only get something every fortnight or so then I'd suggest the current setup is adequate.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sub-forum will be considered once we can gauge the level of traffic it receives. If people get on board and we get a review every week or so I'd say that a sub-forum would be warranted. Should we only get something every fortnight or so then I'd suggest the current setup is adequate.
I'm going to have the biggest pout...Nah that makes sense. If it doesn't get that far they should be easy to get a search hit on using the format you've set out. Have you attempted a Web search to see if your review gets a hit? Not for vanity, but as a means of testing the naming system etc.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not yet but that is one of the goals and points that we plan to tweak along the way. First step is to understand how much traffic it's likely to raise by forum members doing their own reviews. If that's a decent amount then we start looking more seriously at opportunities and how best to arrange and tweak things to leverage value and all that other corporaty kind of words.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not yet but that is one of the goals and points that we plan to tweak along the way. First step is to understand how much traffic it's likely to raise by forum members doing their own reviews. If that's a decent amount then we start looking more seriously at opportunities and how best to arrange and tweak things to leverage value and all that other corporaty kind of words.
Oh I get it...you're looking for someone to pump the forum full of reviews?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
No, not really. I'm always hunting down reviews for parts and kit and always landing on other websites and forums. So I thought why not here instead of trawling through google? We've discussed doing this in the past and I reckon it's something that people will enjoy so I got it going. That's pretty much the guts of it. Other considerations like making them easy to be found when searching, giving members the chance to vent and warn others about shit parts, maybe branching out to review (legal) trails and races, etc. etc. all flowed from the original concept.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Was just thinking, to add to what I've written above, we do want to increase traffic on the forums as well. As other social media has expanded forum activity across the board has decreased. That means it's more difficult to attract and retain advertisers and as a consequence, harder to pay for the website. So if we can create a new and interesting mode of usage for the current members and also attract other people to the website through google searches then that's an important gain.

safreek

Was just thinking, to add to what I've written above, we do want to increase traffic on the forums as well. As other social media has expanded forum activity across the board has decreased. That means it's more difficult to attract and retain advertisers and as a consequence, harder to pay for the website. So if we can create a new and interesting mode of usage for the current members and also attract other people to the website through google searches then that's an important gain.
totally agree, forums seem a bit slow at times, new things to read seems cool to me

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The gear reviews seem to be going well, the new (cash for comment :gossip:) process as well. I feel this would be a good time to create a specific sub forum for reviews, similar to what we have for travel posts.

wkkie

The gear reviews seem to be going well, the new (cash for comment :gossip:) process as well. I feel this would be a good time to create a specific sub forum for reviews, similar to what we have for travel posts.
Agreed, it'll be much easier to distinguish the reviews from the rest. They get a bit lost at the moment.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hye folks, time to give back and chuck a review up. Assuming i use the template, where does the actual review post go?

*Edit - I'm guessing general?