Gear shifts. All but one playing nicely.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a SRAM GX 1x11 equipped Trek Remedy. Owned since new, original geartrain. The shifting works perfectly except gear 5 which if I change from 6-5 will click and carry on like it wants to change gear, clicking several times per revolution. If I change from 4-5 it is noticably better, but still isn’t right. Changing past (2-3 ears at once) is no issue, just that one gear.

I am loathe to play with the setting because the other gears work so well I don’t want to mess it up.

Any thoughts?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Have a play with the barrel adjustor while your riding up and down the road.

Sometimes that's all it needs in the middle and it won't change the others.

John U

MTB Precision
Have a really close look at your cassette. There may be a bent tooth on the larger offending gear fowling the chain path in the smaller offending gear.
Sure way to verify is, if your chain isn’t too stretched, change out the cassette and see if the noise disappears.
I had the same problem with my 11 speed cassette on my roadie earlier this year. The bent tooth was pretty hard to spot but was enough to cause the problem. Opinion on here was 11 speed was susceptible to this.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Like. Unfortunately without current employment said new bike might have to come from BigW
You gotta take control of that situation...kick it all in the nuts! Spend spend spend and live in a flame of powerful (but probably too swift) glory.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
If all other gears work then it’s not the cable tension as they are indexed.

It’s in the middle of the cassette so it’s not limits or b tension.

Like others said it’s likely a bent tooth on the cassette.

Assuming it’s in a grouped carrier section of the cassette? I have had a single Shimano ring cut into a freewheel and stuff shifting - took ages to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All right already! Taking a not so subtle hint I just popped the bike in a workstand. All previous workshop efforts had been clearing space for said stand.

Anyway, on inspection it appeared the upper jockey wheel was causing the clicking. About qtr turn on he barrel adjuster and the clicking seems to have gone. I couldn’t see any bent teeth, but it’s hard to tell given the different profiles of all the teeth.

Suppose you’ll want me to go out and test ride it now!