Gears on a 20"?

richofoz

Cannon Fodder
Hi I'm looking at getting my first trials pushy but have a couple of questions.
I don't have a car atm and will have to ride fair distances to find cool places to ride.
I had my heart set on a 20" bike (none in particular yet) but then started to wonder about gearing.
So I was wondering, would it be possible to have 2 gears on the rear so I could have trials gearing and something a bit higher to get around with?
Could I just run a chain tensioner to make up for the difference in sprocket sizes and then change the gears manually whenever I want?
Will I have chain alignment issues?

Do any 20" bike come with gears standard?

Thanks for your time, Rich.

johnny1990

Likes Bikes
No mods(20") trials bike have gears but even if you wanted it would be very hard even with a flip flop up seeing that the rear cod is usually a 12t fixed with a 18t freewheel up the front.

If you relly wanted gears you will need to get a stock but get one with a shoprt wheel base and a higher bb so it feels more like a mod although this type of bike would makle it harder to learn trials.

This being said i ride trials my self and ride long distances to get to my usualy riding spots(up to 6 km jst to get there) and so does my friend who rides a mod it just takes more time an energy.

Mat_P

Likes Bikes
get a trials bike and then on the next hard garbage run hunt around for some bikes being thrown out...you can make a decent commuter/beer bike that way :)

Lilley

Likes Dirt
A 20" might be hard to ride places but it does fit in the back of cars easy so it is great for getting a lift with mates or catching a Taxi.

I could fit my monty in a Body Board back pack, which I did whenever I flew to comps down south. If you were desperate you could do the same and put it on a bus :)

I've ridden 15km to Broadbeach on my old monty mod for a ride before. And have done a bunch of other trips on it. It is still way quicker then walking.

Plus the money you save not having a car will mean you can buy a much nicer bike.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are considering travelling even the slightest distant on a trials bike, stay away from mods. Just go 26", they're easier to learn many trials-related skills on and helps if crossing from other 26" wheeled bikes. And as for gears, neck up and go singlespeed - the internet talk about commuting not being possible without gears is absolute bullshit, there is no difference whatsoever. It'll save you hassle, time and alot of money in the future.

richofoz

Cannon Fodder
Thanks guys, looks like single speed is the go.
I can always take it on the train if I need to go too far.
Can I ask why it would be easier to learn on a stock bike?
I just assumed it would be harder on a bigger heavier bike?
I've pretty much grown up with a bmx (Still got my redline from when I was 12!)
so thought a mod would probably be closer to what I'm used to?

Thanks for your time, Rich.

Lilley

Likes Dirt
It wouldn't be easier to learn on a stock bike.

20 or 26" learning trials is all about practice so it probably doesn't pay to think to much about what is the best bike... just get one and start riding.

That said I have always felt that a 20" is the best way to learn trials technique, I know when I first started out I learnt to back wheel hop on a 20" and then transferred the skill to my stock. Plenty has been discussed on the internet on this topic and I'm sure a quick search will find a billion opinions.

P.S. Rode at Burleigh Heads this arvo with 7 other people and I was the only one on a stock. They are all better riders then me as well... mods are in fashion again :)

Mat_P

Likes Bikes
26" bikes arent easier to learn on...in my personal view that is.
i started to learn on a 26" and then i got a mod...soooooo much easier to learn on.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It wouldn't be easier to learn on a stock bike.
It all comes down to personal opinion; I interpreted his questions regarding 20" trials bikes as if he had of been riding a 26er primarily before considering trials. I find it much easier riding my mate's 26" stock coming off a same-sized wheeled mtb, but then again his brother rides bmx and can't comes to grip with the stock's 26" wheel.

Either way, it's trials riding - wheel size shoudn't worry you too much when you start out, the skills are all the same (or very very similiar).

jonus

Squid
If your coming from a mtb background then stock would obiously be easier. But saying that the best thing is to ride both and see what you are more comfortable on.

greasy reas

Likes Dirt
well if ur looking for a 2nd hand one i have one here for sale its a mod
http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130022

i found it easy to learn, really easy to move around. I havnt ridden a 26inch one though so i dont know how they would compare, but i imagine with a 26inch you could get up taller stuff eaiser. If you want me to go count the gears i can go out side but as you can see in the pics of the link the gears are only small and r like 1 to 1 so its not very fast but they can accelerate quickly

richofoz

Cannon Fodder
Thanks Greasy, but I have a bike on the way. Should be here Monday.
Can't wait! it's a silver echo light mod, should be sweet.

Now my next post will probably be videos of me injuring myself:D

Thank you all for your advice, Rich.

Povi

Likes Dirt
with learning/injuries,
definitely be careful of muscles in your back, depending on your age they could hurt. im only 16 and i had to stop riding due to back problems.

richofoz

Cannon Fodder
I'm more worried about my shins! I was on the bike for a few hours today and my shins copped a fair bit. Might need to look in to some shin guards.

Rich.

Lilley

Likes Dirt
I used to ride with a guy who stuffed a piece of cardboard down one of his socks instead of a shinguard.

Lightweight and affordable.