Gee Atherton On Top Gear: December 4th

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Southern Downhill:
20 year old Gee Atherton will appear on the highly popular TV program, Top Gear, next Sunday December 4. The talented Animal/Giant rider was invited to race down the streets of Lisbon, on the now famous racecourse used for the annual Lisbon Downtown, against a new model Renault Clio. The car used a separate by similar length course (without stairs etc.), to see which would be faster through downtown.

Gee took to the streets on his Giant Reign, and spent one and a half days filming for the segment. We can't of course reveal the results of the head-to-head, but all UK residents can view the race next Sunday on BBC2 (check your local listings). Top Gear is seen by 5.8 million viewers in the UK and more than 200 million world wide on BBC World. We don't have any notice on the BBC World airing, but an edited version is usually shown some weeks later.

Gee was pretty stoked to be a part of the program. "I'm a fan of the show and their sense of humour, and they come up with pretty creative ways to test their cars, and this was no exception! I did quite a few runs to get different shots, and they had cameras attached to different parts of my Giant, and my Red Bull helmet, so we got some awesome shots. I can't wait to see how it turns out".

For more information on Gee Atherton and his sponsors:

www.athertonracing.co.uk
For those that don't know, Top Gear is THE best TV show to date. Top Gear will be airing for the first time in Australia next month; for those that can't wait check out Finalgear for downloadable eps.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweeeeeeeet!
You are one hundred percent correct, Top Gear is the best TV show bar none. Even my missus, who hates this type of show, loves it.
Clarkson is a most disagreeable creature but Hammond seems to balance things out. Having a great show like this is one of the few redeeming features of living in the UK.
Can't wait til the fourth.

lindsay

Likes Dirt
Hell yeah. Top Gear is the best TV show by far! This is gonna be cool.

The first 3 espisodes of this new series have been so good. The supercar segment was amazing (especially with the bridge at the end) and the rockclimber/basejumper from the previous episode was nuts.

For the people who haven't seen Top Gear I suggest you tune in to SBS on the 12th December at 7:30pm (when Mythbusters is usually on). The first episode features the Manaro that happens to spend more time going sideways than in a straight line.

Last edited:

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Fatman said:
Sweeeeeeeet!
You are one hundred percent correct, Top Gear is the best TV show bar none. Even my missus, who hates this type of show, loves it.
Clarkson is a most disagreeable creature but Hammond seems to balance things out. Having a great show like this is one of the few redeeming features of living in the UK.
Can't wait til the fourth.
Nooooooooooooo.

Clarkson is great, it just takes something really good to impress him. Anyone seen the F1 drivers challenge that's been on recently?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Originally poted by Daver
Clarkson is great, it just takes something really good to impress him.
Come off it,
He loves the monaro, and it's nothing special. He has rather ecclectic taste. It often seems he's impressed with anything with a large engine, and considering the piss weak cars they have here I'm not surprised.
We don't get Myth Busters here so I won't miss it, Top Gear rocks.
I've seen the laps that Damon Hill and Mark Webber did in the Suzuki, great laugh.

b_star

Likes Bikes
Finalgear.com

For those of you who use the Finalgear.com, this episode will be:
“Top Gear - [07x04] - 2005.12.04”
and should be available for download sometime on Monday 5th December (our time).

For those of you who haven’t used this site before it is really easy (check: http://www.finalgear.com/faq.php ). You will need to download a “BitTorrent client”; a small application that then lets you download the episodes (all free). I would recommend “Azureus” ( http://azureus.sourceforge.net ). Each episode is about 350mb, which I know is big but you can stop and start and it just picks up again. If anyone really wants to see it and can’t download it, PM me and I will burn you a CD and pop in it post (how last century).

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like Tiff aswell, but I hate Fifth gear. Yawn.

Top gear is definately THE motoring show, even if you do have to put up with Clarkson. I suppose he does have his moments though.
Did any of you see this weeks episode where Hammond ate the M6 picture from the cool wall?:D Very good.

b_star

Likes Bikes
5th Gear

Nah man 5th Gear is so much better, it's more about the cars. Although having said that don't get me started on that Vicki.

mcleand2

Squid
Okay.... you win..... Tiff is truly King!! Fifth Gear has got better now they are on for an hour.

On the other hand Jason Plato.............. the word Arseclown springs to mind!! :mad:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The replay is on right now of this weeks fifth gear on five. It's still rubbish.
I can watch Top gear over and over, but fifth gear I keep flicking after it's only been on for five minutes.
But it's still better than Pulling Power and Car Cruizin.

And that Alex creature is a right royal pain in the ar$e. If Tiff was to present the show by himself the show would be fantastic.

b_star

Likes Bikes
Yeah anyone who would wear a hat like Jason did in [08x06] - 2005.11.14 must be of questionable character.

mcleand2

Squid
I don't think you can blame the hat, only the chap wearing it!!

The hat on the otherhand was the highlight of the show!!!! :p

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I will pay in cash, drugs, bitches, internal organs, hell I'll even buy you a drink! if anybody can get ahold of a tape of that Top Gear episode.

I have heard rumours that SBS might start showing it but nothing concrete which is a pain as it's one of the things I miss most about back home!

lindsay

Likes Dirt
PINT of Stella said:
I have heard rumours that SBS might start showing it but nothing concrete which is a pain as it's one of the things I miss most about back home!
Read my post above. TOP GEAR 12th December 7:30pm SBS. It even says on the TV schedule here.

b_star

Likes Bikes
My Two Worlds Collide

When Top Gear started in the US recently they showed episodes that were a mix-mash of the original UK episodes. Different segments from different (and fairly old) episodes, all mixed together with US specific studio segments.
In the SBS guide it says:
In this episode, the Aussie Holden Monaro is tested against the best of British and American car technology on a Welsh beach.
That segment is actually in the first episode of season 5 which aired for the first time in the UK 24.10.2004 (my 26th birthday…just a side note). The current season is number 7, of which the first episode aired in the UK 13.11.2005. It features a montage of the upcoming season, ASCARI KZ1, Aston Martin V8 Vantage (“The Baby Aston”) vs BMW M6 vs Carrera S, but no Monaro.

The episode that will feature Gee Atherton will be:
For those of you who use the Finalgear.com, this episode will be:
“Top Gear - [07x04] - 2005.12.04”
and should be available for download sometime on Monday 5th December (our time).
Check this thread for more details and discussion on this episode:
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=8195

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The race will be on in half an hour here. I didn't see the result of the red bull ride in Lisbon, where did Gee place? If he's going to race a car you would want the fastest rider wouldn't you?
Oh well, we'll find out very soon.

*EDIT* Gee finished 7th with a time of 1min36.775sec. 4.781sec behind Steve Peat.

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Race run and won by..........

Okay kids,

The race has been run and won, the renault had a shorter track to race.
The results are in white, just in case you don't want to find out until they show the race in Oz, in about a year or two:)

James May in a Renault Clio 1.6 >1.47.53
Gee Atherton, Giant Reign >1.37.48

Well done, it was quite good to watch.