Geek help: D-Link routers, can 2 work together?

Rik

logged out
Hope someone can help me!
In my house we're running Optus cable 'net, the modem lives in the front corner of the house where it runs in to a router. A PC sits in the room running off the router, as does a long cable out to my room - diagonal opposite corner of the house. In my room is a 2nd router, running cat5 to my PC and also doing wireless for my brother in the next room.
This worked all well and good until the router in the front room started playing up and needed replacing.
I'm running a D-Link 624 and like it, so thought it'd be nice to buy another 624, this time the upgraded "storage" version, to set up and add more features to our network. Unfortunately doing the same thing as previous, but with two D-Links, I can't get internet going through the 2nd router in my room. Right now I've bypassed it and that leaves my brother without wireless as well, and it's not a solution.

So my question is, is there something blindingly obvious I've overlooked that prevents 2 D-Link 624's from being chained together? Unfortunately it's the only workable solution to get wireless all the way out the back of the house, the front router is too far away with too many walls to get a decent signal for my brother.
Right now all I've done is run the "wizard" to autodetect settings, that's about as far as my knowledge extends with networking :rolleyes:
Any help is appreciated, it'd be good to get wireless going again for my brother so he can spend more time hiding in his room and less time around the rest of the house!

Rik

logged out
Duh... knew it was too obvious to notice:

Both at the same IP, no good. Changed one to 192.168.1.0, the other stayed 192.168.0.1.
Done :cool:

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but why the use of 2 routers?
wouldn't a router then a switch be a much simpler alternative?

Last edited:

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Seriously, chuck out the D-link..
We've had 3 and they've been nothing but problems! Dodgy connections, messed up power adapters, you name it, it's gone wrong with out D-links!