Gel or Chamois

I went for a mainly road ride on the weekend, stopped at the MTB track at Homebush for a few laps. All up was 26km. Once I got home my butt was so sore it's not funny. I can ride 20-50km's on trails and not have as sore a bum as I do right now. I guess because on trails I am up and off the seat a lot more. On the roads I was hunkered down on the seat for long periods. So my question is what do people prefer, gel or chamois liners under their shorts?
I just order some Dakine gel liners so would love to know other peoples experience if they have them...I think the 'cheap' no name gel liners under my 'cheap' shorts just aren't cutting it.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I haven't had any chaffing....ever. Just sore. Maybe I need a fatter arse :p
gel liner in your shorts? if that helps get u off..i think the gel stuff moves around too much

get a pair of fox liner shirts, with the thin chamois - you may not notice it on the trail but the saddle u r running is prob not quite right, the road run has bought it to the fore, exp with a diff saddle
wh8ch brand saddale?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Theres 2 main reasons for ass pain on a bike, one that has happened due to saddle fit, size and shape, this is pain from aching sit bone being pushed/ wedged in the incorrect direction.
The other is chaffing from seams on clothing, bad clothing choice, sweat, hair, excessive movement ect... but again, most of this comes back to saddle fit in the first place.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Got a tip off a long distance roadie I know. Wear 2 chamois liners, the one underneath you wear inside out so you have lycra on your bits and the other one over that.
Game changer on long rides.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I use a Selle SMP saddle to get the sit bone fit then use Pearl Izumi tri knicks which have a thin chamois and finally use Aussie butt cream.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Overly padded chamois (or Gel pads - ugh) aren't beneficial.
Pain is a symptom of a poorly fitted and/or positioned saddle.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I've gone no chamios. Tried quite a few, last used an Assos chamois and whilst it was comfortable it was damn hot! I figured the extra heat down there wasn't good, contributed to sweat/chafe/soreness so went cold turkey on the next ride with no chamois. I've got a SQLabs saddle that I think I've picked the right width because it doesn't hurt at all now (was tender for a ride or two). So my vote is for easy breezy ;-)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
What'd you get? It can take a few tries to find a saddle with the right fit. I've been on 155mm Specialized saddles (Romin, Power and Phenom across three bikes) for 6 years now and wouldn't buy anything else.

As above though, a decent chamois (i.e. not a gel pad thing) can definitely make a difference. Even just a basic (but properly-fitting) pair like DHB (Wiggle house brand) under your baggies will be a game changer for comfort. They might look weird when you're walking around the house in them after getting home, but buy bibs - not waist shorts - they're 1000x more comfortable than having a tight elastic across your gut.

Edit: @kten is not wrong about the temperature, though. If you get thick bibs and your mtb shorts are on the more tight-fitting side then can get a bit steamy. Better to go a summerweight bib or one of the dedicated "liner" bibs from Fox/Pearl Izumi/Specialized et al if you're wearing heavy shorts over the top.

What'd you get? It can take a few tries to find a saddle with the right fit. I've been on 155mm Specialized saddles (Romin, Power and Phenom across three bikes) for 6 years now and wouldn't buy anything else.

As above though, a decent chamois (i.e. not a gel pad thing) can definitely make a difference. Even just a basic (but properly-fitting) pair like DHB (Wiggle house brand) under your baggies will be a game changer for comfort. They might look weird when you're walking around the house in them after getting home, but buy bibs - not waist shorts - they're 1000x more comfortable than having a tight elastic across your gut.

Edit: @kten is not wrong about the temperature, though. If you get thick bibs and your mtb shorts are on the more tight-fitting side then can get a bit steamy. Better to go a summerweight bib or one of the dedicated "liner" bibs from Fox/Pearl Izumi/Specialized et al if you're wearing heavy shorts over the top.
A fabric scoop radius. It has awesome reviews so I have my fingers crossed.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Never tried the butt creams and not even sure if I even need it. I have some results from my Ebay padded liner project that I might as well share here.

I have gone down the path of buying a few cheaper Ebay padded liners just to see how they go. I didn't expect big things but there is no other way to know. Bought a few pairs and have used them quite a bit over the past 1 1/2 years. I also broke my own rule not to buy cheap bike clothing that is on your contact points but there you go.

The chamois or gel liners themselves were comfortable but the real eye watering issue is with the cheaper and looser fitting lycra. Butt padding comfort is fine but the looseness of the liner lycra makes your nozzle slap right when your left leg is up at 12 o'clock then slaps left when your right leg goes to the 12 o'clock position. The lycra is also too thin to absorb sweat too which makes it worse during a longer ride. The problem gets worse as the lycra slowly stretches the more you use these shorts. You might not notice until you are sitting down and bent over the saddle either and even then you have your pants covering the liner anyhow. If they made these with better lycra then they still could be an option.

Soooo, you end up changing colour in places you shouldn't and all slapped out like you have had the starring role in pr0n movie or have caught a strange festy STD. I nearly went to the doctor since I wasn't sure that it was due to these liners but I couldn't push myself to go since he is a Mr Doctor and I got scared of cold hands and an awkward visit that can't be undone.
The more you ride, the more slappage you get but it isn't directly obvious your liners are to blame since it only got ouchy later on and they sit tightly when you stand up and put them on anyhow. I wash my liners in the shower with me after my ride so wasn't from a manky bacterial liner thing either. The experiment is officially over - don't go there, it isn't a great idea.

I have gone up a notch and invested in these Enduras. https://www.wiggle.com.au/endura-padded-liner-shorts-1 The padding it thinnish but all you need and the lycra is tighter and better quality. I have some Fox Ranger liners on the way now too. Much better all ready....Ahhhh......Happiness in boystown....

The moral of the story is hold your junk tight or your junk takes revenge.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I'm a cream guy cuz i love the felling of lathering up my ass n ballsac... its like I'm getting to know my body and the sniff afterwards it tops.......
pads... pfffft

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
You blokes out there without a liner - wow, hard men. I’m clearly a softie, running a good quality chamois and biiiiig scoop of Aussie Butt Cream every time.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I use a Selle SMP saddle to get the sit bone fit then use Pearl Izumi tri knicks which have a thin chamois and finally use Aussie butt cream.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Selle SMP lite 209 saddle, Santini road knicks under TLD Ruckus or ground effect shorts, with RMC chamois cream on the chamois pad of the knicks.