Genetic sequencing

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
The safety of data, and potential abuse and misuse of this knowledge is frightening with a LNP in power with such disdain for the people. The Gattica movie is a great insight to a dystopian future where the individual really gets trodden on.

I will be using this genetic service with faked contact details and either a prepaid credit card or a burner Paypal account.

What name should I use for the account?
Who is in power has nothing to do with the safety of your data.

Like I said, the horse has bolted. It bolted before anyone saw what was happening or knew what was going on.

We all had Google accounts, Facebook accounts and phones with GPS in them before anyone raised a concern.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I’ve very likely got a few gene mutations, specifically the MTHFR mutation. B vitamins are a huge problem for me
knew nothing about this so had to read it up but to my perverse mind it looks like an abbreviation for Motherfarker .
Sorry I wont continue .
Agree that it is better not to know about some defects where you have already had children and it is not treatable or preventable .
I am part of a previously inbred group [ Ashkenazi ] so most of my family had their genes done including BRCA with Ancestory.
It correctly found all my relatives up to 4th cousins in the USA which is incredibly remote .
The more information they collect the more specific the feedback over time.
In other words, if you consider data collection to be benign and like a survey ,it is a good thing.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
$300, that's crazy.

6 years ago I spent $2k to get the bulk of possible mutations for CF tested, as my son came up having through standard testing as having one of the required 2 gene mutations, so a carrier. Being our first, there was the lingering question of whether we potentially both had a mutation and just got lucky that only 1 passed it on.

We didn't hesitate to go ahead with the testing. When the first (cheaper) round came back with common mutation on my wifes side, we figured it was still worth diving deeper to rule out the 1/100 chance. Knowledge gave us comfort in that instance, and the knowledge will give my son options in the future.

Learn what is useful, but I'd be cautious about going the full gamut. If it were me, I'd be concerned poking in the dark would just generate more worry than answers, unless there's something specific to look for. There are still so many unanswered questions on genetics.