Georgetown mtb trails(tassie keeps building)

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Emm Not sure how Georgetown will go. You have Hollybank not that far away. There was a big buzz about Hollybank when it opened and now???

" They are Parks and Wildlife cameras and they mainly use them to catch dirtbikes on the trails but we do count numbers of walkers and bike. Parks use them all over the place "

Really I thought the cameras where there to catch all those dimwits illegally cutting down trees in the national parks and then selling them as firewood. Howd that work out.

The motos have unlimited numbers of choices of riding areas in Tassie they don't need to go into National parks. I never had too.Gladstone to Mathina area could keep you entertained for years if you think its good for MTBers it's even better for motos.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Emm Not sure how Georgetown will go. You have Hollybank not that far away. There was a big buzz about Hollybank when it opened and now???

" They are Parks and Wildlife cameras and they mainly use them to catch dirtbikes on the trails but we do count numbers of walkers and bike. Parks use them all over the place "

Really I thought the cameras where there to catch all those dimwits illegally cutting down trees in the national parks and then selling them as firewood. Howd that work out.

The motos have unlimited numbers of choices of riding areas in Tassie they don't need to go into National parks. I never had too.Gladstone to Mathina area could keep you entertained for years if you think its good for MTBers it's even better for motos.
Yeah but you know some riders will always ride where they knowingly don't belong, fortunately they are a minority.

Hollytbank still gets a lot of local riders but just doesn't have the amount of trails to make it a destinations to stay nearby. You need more trail than an average rider can ride in a day to get people to stay the night, and it needs to be quality trail.

pmrider

Squid
That's cool news. Great to hear about so much MTB expansion around Oz finally. Any idea of a start/finish date?
My cousin lives there so gives me a good reason to visit..

Stredda

That's cool news. Great to hear about so much MTB expansion around Oz finally. Any idea of a start/finish date?
My cousin lives there so gives me a good reason to visit..
I haven't seen any dates as yet. I'd say at least 6 months or more before construction can start. Depends on whether environmental studies, community consultation and ground truthing has been done. Tenders would then have to be advertised and a contractor selected, so could be a little while off yet. They do have funding though and that's the main thing.

Scotty675

Cable thief
It’s taken 3 years to get this far but at least funding has now been granted. Not sure on start dates but will be up there over Easter so will try find out a bit more.
StHelens trails got a bit of publicity on flow mtb, can’t wait to do the blue tier to StHelens trail. Hopefully be rideable by the end of the year.

pmrider

Squid
yeah these things take a looong time. I've been closely following the Warburton MTB hub progress in VIC and it's been bubbling away since mid 2015. Great to see so many MTB projects popping up all over the country. there's a lot of hard work being put in.. Mad respect.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Yeah but you know some riders will always ride where they knowingly don't belong, fortunately they are a minority.

Hollytbank still gets a lot of local riders but just doesn't have the amount of trails to make it a destinations to stay nearby. You need more trail than an average rider can ride in a day to get people to stay the night, and it needs to be quality trail.
Yep seen some Mtbers while I've been out fly fishing riding in areas they shouldn't of but fortunately they are a minority.

So Hollybank was a waste of money because at the time I seem to remember the powers that be saying that hollybank was going to pull in alot of interstate and overseas mtbers to the area.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The issue with Hollybank is that, there isn;t enough of it (we used to do really long XC loops out there years ago when we held state series races there), I really like it, no sweat is a good warmup (although no sweat is totally wrong) and tall timbers I personally think is utterly brilliant, but its a bit too hard for your average bring out the whole family situation. Plus at 4km with short DH, long climb, medium DH long climb, people get sick of that really quick (I actually prefer that, but I think most don't), then Juggernaut, you either have to shuttle or you have a serious climb, that 0.0001% of the population want to ride up...and then ...well then they opened Derby and that was that. Drive 20/25 min to do a bunch of laps (or a mega climb after they stopped doing shuttles)...or drive a bit over an hour and you have derby. I mean I would take Hollybank over Derby any day of the week, but i'm the minority. But I am hanging for Juggernaught to be reopened, as I've only done a couple of times.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Was out Georgetown this morning and been up Mt George quit a few times all I see is another Hollybank.

I'm surprised no one has thought more about Mt Roland seeing as Sheffield is 98% on board about putting a cable car up to the summit. Walkers might be abit somewhat put off with MTB coming down but most would be catching the cable car up and back. That would be a pearler of DH descent to the car park.
https://www.tasmaniatalks.com.au/ne...-roland-cable-car-development-one-step-closer

Thats what they are going to do with the Wollongong escarpment and that riding is as good as Derby even better when they put a cable car up there and MTB can use it. Plus far better surfing at Wollongong and surrounds than Low head or Friendly beaches.

I'll probably be dead before the cable car sees completion on MT Roland though.

Last edited:

Stredda

Was out Georgetown this morning and been up Mt George quit a few times all I see is another Hollybank.

I'm surprised no one has thought more about Mt Roland seeing as Sheffield is 98% on board about putting a cable car up to the summit. Walkers might be abit somewhat put off with MTB coming down but most would be catching the cable car up and back. That would be a pearler of DH descent to the car park.
https://www.tasmaniatalks.com.au/ne...-roland-cable-car-development-one-step-closer

Thats what they are going to do with the Wollongong escarpment and that riding is as good as Derby even better when they put a cable car up there and MTB can use it. Plus far better surfing at Wollongong and surrounds than Low head or Friendly beaches.

I'll probably be dead before the cable car sees completion on MT Roland though.
I'm interested to see what happens at Mt Roland. The Kentish council are for the idea as they with the Latrobe council are building the Wild Mersey trails nearby in the Badgers Range.
There is a reasonable bit of pushback of course from the antidevelopment mob but not as bad as Mt Wellington in Hobart for their cable car.
The cable car is also a private venture so I'm not sure who would build the trails. Dirt Art, the ones behind Maydena did the concept plan.

Stredda

Anything open yet? I’m heading up for an unexpected visit today. Wondering if it’s worth throwing the bike in
This weekend Sunday 3rd October is the official opening date at this stage. Although the weather is not looking all that flash. :(

Last edited: