Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sup' fellas. I've been really slack lately to the point where I've not been to the gym in 3-4 weeks. Just the usual spiel, something disrupts the flow and it turns to shit. I'm still trim and look great in a shirt but the other day I struggled doing 10pullups and I was like, wow I need to get my awesomeness back!

Starting light, full body excercises and lots of riding and running. Keeping active and having fun is the goal. Might have a serious crack at the leaderboard ;)

Summertime is so close people! Get fit or die trying!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Boss!

Well last Monday I just went in a did Bench: 60 Deadlift: 100 OHP: 16 (DB) Squat: 60 in that order and I couldn't walk until thursday afternoon. holy shit. That also used to be really light weight not 2months ago! haha I used to 20rep those easily. I did 5 sets of 8 with perfect form.

Today I ventured back in and did Bench: 65 Squat: 65 OHP: 18 (DB) and some back work. Felt really good! I'm hoping to add 2.5-5kg each workout up until 90% of my old lifts. Then I'm back!

I kept active all the way through the 'accidental break' but my strength died in the arse. I think it's a result of a few low calorie periods. Muscle memory help me out pls.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it's a result of a few low calorie periods.
I had a shocker today and I suspect the cause was the same. Calories have been down the last 10 days due to being out of the office, missed a few meals and no shakes either. looks like it finally caught up with me.

Plan is to sort my shit out and start eating again, do a small deload next week where i failed today and hopefully get back to making good gains again.

Aiming for 120kg squat, 160kg DL, 80kg bench and 65kg military press by xmas.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Question for MWI - what do you know about training with varying rep ranges? I used to train using the standard 12-ish week blocks of each rep range, but in the last 12 months I tried something different.

I periodise the main lifts (squat, bench, dead, row) like this:

- 5 week volume load (increasing volume each week, equal tested PB in 4th week then go for new PB in 5th week). I work up to 5 reps, then back the weight off and go for 8 - 12 reps. Assistance work is 2 - 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps.

-4 week deload (drop sets/reps and increase weight over 4 weeks, going for small PB in 4th week). Through this phase I work up to 3 reps, then back the weight off and go for 8 - 12 reps. Assistance work is 2 - 4 sets of 5 - 6 reps. Total volume is way way lower than the loading phase.

Downhill injuries notwithstanding, I've had good results. So my actual question - are the different rep ranges within the same training session counterproductive? Eg, during the deload phase I work up to a heavy triple and then do 12+ reps of the same exercise straight after. I'd be really interested in your thoughts on this.
Sorry for the delay in posting, work’s been getting in the way of my evening internet times…

I have been pondering this all day and I am not sure if there is a definitive answer for this.

To make sure I have the question correct - doing a mix of moderate intensity / higher volume work with a some lower volume / higher intensity work in the same session worthwhile (assuming the %RM is relevant to the rep range you are using). Let me know if I have misinterpreted the question?

Short answer is yes, as long as the goal is a mix of strength and mass gains.

Long answer is more complex, tension is the primary stimulus for strength gains and to a degree increases in muscle mass. So doing some high % RM lifts with low reps will certainly help strength. The only problem is fatigue requires you to reduce your overall volume.

Metabolic stress ‘the pump’ is an important factor for mass gains, but not for strength gains, to achieve a high metabolic stress requires moderate intensity but higher volume training (setsxrepsxload=volume). Body builders almost always use this approach as it works, it also easy to do by training muscle groups in isolation.

I think (my educated opinion) is that as long as you do the high intensity training first, so fatigue is not an issue and tension is maximises (high %RM) THEN you do the higher volume work is a good approach. As far as I am aware there is no confounding variables by mixing multiple stimulus onto a muscle concurrently.

We have a muscle physiologist at work who is also a rather large body builder; I’ll ask him next week what he thinks.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Sorry for the delay in posting, work’s been getting in the way of my evening internet times….
I hate it when that happens!

To make sure I have the question correct - doing a mix of moderate intensity / higher volume work with a some lower volume / higher intensity work in the same session worthwhile (assuming the %RM is relevant to the rep range you are using). Let me know if I have misinterpreted the question?
Yep, spot on - that's exactly what I'm asking.

Short answer is yes, as long as the goal is a mix of strength and mass gains.
Yep, that's what I'm going for - basically a 50/50 of the two.

I think (my educated opinion) is that as long as you do the high intensity training first, so fatigue is not an issue and tension is maximises (high %RM) THEN you do the higher volume work is a good approach. As far as I am aware there is no confounding variables by mixing multiple stimulus onto a muscle concurrently.
Excellent - that's exactly what I'm doing. I find that I can actually do more reps after a heavy 1-3RM, so it allows me to increase my total volume and gives me a nice ego boost, haha.

Thanks for writing such a comprehensive response - you've addressed everything I'd been thinking about.

Plow King

Little bit.
Shit eh.

First started getting my shit together 4 years ago when this thread started.

Still 30.5kg down from when I started.

Added some muscle. Trying to get down to 80kg. Currently 88.5

uploadfromtaptalk1351610724149.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1351610757579.jpg

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody got any favourite websites with body fat calculators? preferably with detailed pictures and instructions of how their particular method assumes measurements are taken.

I'm well aware I'm not going to get an accurate measurement at home, but would still like to use it as a tool to help track my progress.

My lifting has been going well lately. squats at 100kg (x5), deadlifts at 110kg (x5). bench is stalled at 65 due to insufficient rehab of an AC and collarbone injury 12 months ago. hitting the rehab hard now and hopefully can start to see some progress before the year is out. I won't post anything for the leaderboard yet because i'm still seeing good progress, as soon as I stall or change up the program I will post some numbers.

Current goals are 180kg squat, 225 kg deadlift and 100kg bench. currently at 90kg which I always felt was pretty high but just measured myself at 184cm, so I suppose it's not too bad really.

How's everybody else faring lately?

Mywifesirrational

Shit eh.

First started getting my shit together 4 years ago when this thread started.

Still 30.5kg down from when I started.

Added some muscle. Trying to get down to 80kg. Currently 88.5
Can I confirm they are 'before' and 'after' pictures, I am pretty sure they are but - :shocked: I know you have posted the weight differences before, but I had never seen pre/post pics.

So you started around the 120kg mark, that's an amazing transformation. How strong were you initially, you must have put on a fair bit of muscle, which i think would suggest you have lost a lot more adipose than the scales alone would suggest.

Let me guess you did it with a sensible diet and exercise regime - lots of will power, no gimmicks?

How much social support did you have - I'd imagine (the research highlights this as crucial) you must have had/needed some - training partners / good social environment around diet/alcohol...?

Was there any 'bad periods in the last four years when you went backwards?

I'd imagine you set the RB benchmark!

Mywifesirrational

EXRX.net has some decent calculators for measure all sorts of things, look under the fitness section / body composition for how to do it, pictures and a built in calculator to use (link below).

You'll need some skin fold calipers to do it - most gyms would let you use them on premises if you have a membership somewhere. I'm not a huge fan of skin folds, it requires a high degree of experience to do it reliably (otherwise its a bit hit and miss).

http://www.exrx.net/Testing.html

Another expensive option that is the absolute benchmark is getting a DEXA scan orgonised.

http://www.bodyscan.com.au/about-bodyscan.php

Plow King

Little bit.
Can I confirm they are 'before' and 'after' pictures, I am pretty sure they are but - :shocked: I know you have posted the weight differences before, but I had never seen pre/post pics.

So you started around the 120kg mark, that's an amazing transformation. How strong were you initially, you must have put on a fair bit of muscle, which i think would suggest you have lost a lot more adipose than the scales alone would suggest.

Let me guess you did it with a sensible diet and exercise regime - lots of will power, no gimmicks?

How much social support did you have - I'd imagine (the research highlights this as crucial) you must have had/needed some - training partners / good social environment around diet/alcohol...?

Was there any 'bad periods in the last four years when you went backwards?

I'd imagine you set the RB benchmark!
Haha.

Cheers mate.

I actually grabbed the photo the other night from page 20 odd on this thread. My initial post is on page 2 or 3.

At first I just went from 120 to 71kg. I was probably 6-8% bodyfat with 0 muscle at all. Took give or take 7-8 months.

Maintained that for about 18 months. Then got upto as high as about 85. Then I got back down to 72 again.

Started lifting just over 2 years ago I think. 1rm on bench started at 25kg. Leg press 100. Shoulder press 15kg

Currently stats are around.

Bench 1rm - 100

Leg press 6 plates 8 reps

Shoulder press 5 x 3 30kg dumbells.

For afew lifts anyway. Reason for no squats and deads is my bad back.

And recently got upto as high as 95 but bringing it back down again.

120kg

uploadfromtaptalk1351659740991.jpg

72kguploadfromtaptalk1351659771437.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I've lost 19kgs since May, got good visible abs and have been maintaining my current bodyweight for 5 - 6 weeks now whilst gradually adding back calories. I'm doing a bit of an experiment to see if I can 'reset' my metabolism, currently up to 2800 cals a day with bodyweight steady.

Strength-wise it's a bit of a mixed bag - I benched over 1.5x bodyweight the other day (smashed it, no spotter or anything) but I've lost heaps of lower body strength due to all the cardio and an unfortunate riding-related injury. Shooting for a 2.5x bodyweight deadlift within the next 2 months (shouldn't be a problem, just need to add another 10kgs to the weight I was doing when dieting hard), and a 2x bodyweight front squat within 6 months (this will be tough).

I've also set a stretch goal of hitting a triple-bodyweight deadlift within 12 months... that would be epic, but I'm not sure if it's achievable.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all so finally joined a gym and have been using Starting Strength 5x5 as a starting point for exercises. One thing I have noted that after doing squats I am a bit sore in my lower back/tailbone. It doesn't hurt when Im doing the squats only later that day or the next day. I assume this is due to something wrong with my technique? Maybe my lower back is in need of some isolation work to help strengthen it up?

Last edited:

Zam

Likes Dirt
Hey all so finally joined a gym and have been using Starting Strength 5x5 as a starting point for exercises. One thing I have noted that after doing squats I am a bit sore in my lower back/tailbone. It doesn't hurt when Im doing the squats only later that day or the next day. I assume this is due to something wrong with my technique? Maybe my lower back is in need of some isolation work to help strengthen it up?
If you're new to squatting i would get someone to show you correct technique to start with, it could be DOMS if you're just starting out but could also bec caused by poor technique, leaning forward too much, poor core strength, when squatting make sure you keep your core tight and your back straight at the bottom of the suqat make sure you start to movement from your glutes.

There are some great youtube trainign vids, a fantastic spot to start is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao followed by the other parts.

Mywifesirrational

There are some great youtube trainign vids, a fantastic spot to start is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao followed by the other parts.
The guy in that video is ugly enough to know what he is talking about :D

another good series is:

[video=youtube;Rq8CWv8UPAI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI[/video]

Maybe my lower back is in need of some isolation work to help strengthen it up?
Training is isolation won't help strength or activation in a more complex movement - you need to use the posture and movement you want to get strong / efficient at. Core stability training is a con unless you have a diagnosed deficit. Start with the basic as the guys above have said, no load all technique.

I personally like the front squat (I have stupidly long femurs), my back tolerates that really well as I don't have to lean forward at the trunk at all.

Last edited:

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok Cheers guys I will make sure I get one of the guys running the gym to check my form next time I go.