Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Creatine makes most people retain a bunch of water, so it's possible. 2kgs is a fair bit though, so it could also be the contents of your GI tract... or maybe you just stuffed up your diet :p

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just watched "Bigger Stronger Faster". Sooo.... would you ever consider anabolic steroids? Where do you draw the line? What do you think makes drugs different from other "legal" performance enhancing techniques?

Personally I don't want to take steroids because I want to be the best I can be naturally. However I don't see a problem with steroids as I reckon there's a hell of alot worse out there. I just wished everyone that took it was public about it as I think that's the worst part about it. Kids looking upto heroes*/cheating in competitions/lack of safe use education etc.

The best in the world (that are on drugs) would still be, the best in the world. Or atleast in the top ranking.

*Just in case you didn't know, ALOT of people take it. Pretty much every big bodybuilder, Rocky/terminator/All of WWE and it's everywhere in all sports.

Oh, I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for steroids. coolstorybro. (9 weeks premmy)

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
^^^ Sick film eh. So many people need to see it.

I'm torn on the issue. I'd never take them, however I don't condone or condemn them in regards to those (bodybuilders) who compete etc.
I do think, however, that they are way too rampant. All these little spitfucks who train in the gym for 6 weeks then get on the kit so they can look sick for whatever summer festival is coming up need a bullet to the head. Hopefully they'll fuck up the recovery process and subsequently take themselves out of the gene pool.

'Ross

Eats Squid
I'm firmly against it after seeing some questionable side affects a few acquaintances have experienced. And the fact that I don't take any pills/substances of any variety, not even Panadol.

One guy was taking them in combination with those fat cutting pills as well so he looked 'ripped' and the result was veins popping out of his forearms in quite a disgusting looking manner. He has also had problems with muscle spasms and reckons his biceps sometimes 'lock' and then cramp up. He blamed it all on the pills but continues to take them.

The other guy was taking some foreign stuff with a red spider as the logo, reckons its illegal in Aus because its 'too powerful' but probably full of crap. Anyway he said he needed to take it for basketball, not sure why because he is built like a gorilla and not exactly the bball physique. After a few months he grew man boobs, I don't know what exercises he was doing but that in combo with the steroids made his pecs get ridiculously huge and he too complained his muscles would tense up without control and feel like they were locked on. He even went to the doctor a few times because it was too painful. The doctor rightly told him to stop taking that shit.

my02

Likes Dirt
Make everything legal.

I'd love to see Usain Bolt go sub 8 seconds for the 100m or Andy Bolton deadlift 1000kg. Bodybuilders so huge they can't walk or wipe their own bums? Hilarious! Watch Cadel Evans ride back from the TDF to Australia in 3 days? Why not.

Don't encourage kids to aspire to be like someone else. Encourage them to be the best version of themselves.

Right, wheres me Stanozolol and Tim Tams?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently trying (succeeding) to lose weight.

185.5cm tall

finished the university exam period at 88kg (bmi 25.6 :mmph: yet I could still smash out a 4hr enduro in 38 degrees {obviously not going as well as I would when fit} - go figure)

Immediately set about on a weight loss regieme featuring lots of brown rice, tuna, 50% reduced fat cheese (normal light cheese is 25% reduced), vegtables, lean meat plus massive doses of cardio (road cycling and xc for 3-6 hours a day, weeks were 2 days on, 1 off, 3 on, 1 off - repeat for 4 weeks) doing this I dropped 4.5kgs - of which 3 were in the first week (not the first time I've shed 3kgs in a week - I guess my body responds to shock therapy :whip:) i.e. 83.5

After spending a couple of days up on a farm with no access to a bike (I jogged for about 1.5hrs a day for 3 days + a two hour hike up and down a bloody steep mountain) I came back to find myself down to 82. Colour me confused. I put it down to a further reduced food intake (kitchen was poorly stocked health snack wise, so I abstained) plus a switch to a diet that was much higher in protein and lower in carbs (the only other health nut on the trip was a body builder, so out of curiosity I mimiced his diet for the 3 days - hard boiled eggs in the morning, tuna salad for lunch, kangaroo steak and veg for dinner)

As a result I've adopted a new diet since getting home. I'm now down to 81.3kg

Breakfast:
100g cornflakes (a very healthy brand) + 60g fresh blueberries + skim milk + metamucil (psyllium husk) + mug of orange juice
lunch:
either Navy+Kidney bean + vegtable salad
or
Tuna, Rocket, Light Cheese, Tomato, Lettuce sandwhiches on a very healthy multigrain bread
dinner:
kangaroo steak + asparagus + capsicum + carrots + green beans + zuchini/rocket/brocolli

probably 3 additional serves of fruit spread about as morning tea, afternoon tea, desert (typically a green apple)

time constraints/ weather have clamped me down to 1 day on 1 day off with 3-3.5 hours of cycling/mtbing but the weight is still falling off! yay - down to a bmi of 23.6 now!

Targetting 78kg (bmi 22.7) because that is the lowest I have been since I was 16 (21 now) (i got down to 78 to race solo 24hr worlds in canberra in october 2010)

Once I hit 78 I'll hit the gym hard and stabilise the weight with some increased cycling applicable muscle bang on 80kgs:
I was given this as a list of cycling oriented exercises:
• Upright rowing - strengthen deltoid and shoulder for extra protection in a fall.
• Pull up - reproduces the pulling up you use on a steep uphill.
• Squats - upper thigh parallel to the ground-for that quad strength for steep climbs.
• Bent over rowing - to stabilize the handlebars when pedaling hard.
• Step ups on a platform with weight on shoulders - one leg at a time-for quad strength.
• Push ups - mimics the push on the handlebars used during technical rides through dips and on uneven terrain.
• Leg Curls
• Dips
• Dead Lifts
• Lunges
• Back Extensions
• Sit Ups
• Seated Calf Raise
• Standing Calf Raise

... although the temptation may be there to screw muscle mass and see how low I can push the weight - for no other reason than to see how far I can push it and my self control (I swear I'm not an anorexic! well I was 88 kgs about 8 weeks ago, so you already know that)

Also, I haven't had an alcoholic beverage since October 29! (not that I was ever a big drinker, but my 21st birthday party left me with a 2 day hangover and I haven't had a drink since!)

Don't really have any pressing questions - I just felt like putting words to paper.
Although I have noticed little bottles at my LBS of this http://www.endura.com.au/products/n-acetyl-carnitine and this http://www.endura.com.au/products/thermo-blaster - the label makes pretty impressive claims, any thoughts/experiances/observations/comments?

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Ignore the supps.

As for the other stuff, my only comment is to be careful with upright rows. They can cause impingement issues for some people.

Plow King

Little bit.
I just went to fitness first cos' im back in Sydney for afew days. Was previously a member there for 3 years. I asked if I could come in and train for one day whilst I'm up and they told me it would be $20. Fuck you.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
I just went to fitness first cos' im back in Sydney for afew days. Was previously a member there for 3 years. I asked if I could come in and train for one day whilst I'm up and they told me it would be $20. Fuck you.
I had some absolute fuckwit from Genesis ring me up the other day. Firstly, implied that since I was no longer a member that I must have stopped excersising completely, and asked me if I'd be interested in signing up again. I said no. Asked me if there was I reason I left. I said yes, and that I had things to do, and politely said goodbye. Pushy fucked kept going after I said this by yelling down the phone "why did you leave?", not even acknowledging that I was trying to end the phone call. I'm fairly sure the "eat a dick" followed by a dial tone got the point across.

In other news, first time at trying weighted pull-ups today. Couldn't even do 1xbw(68kgish) when I first started, so I was pretty stoked.

clockworked

Like an orange
Nonsense, just means you older guys have had more time to practice!:rofl:

Think I may start 5x5 either next week or the week after. Need something new and exciting after running 5/3/1 for ages.
Love 5/3/1. I'm into my fifth month of it!
a mate of mine has been doing stronglifts 5x5 for a bit longer and he can throw really big weight/weight.

haven't done maxes for about 2 months, but these are what i could do then. I'll check again at the end of the 6th month i reckon, I'm keen to see if i've improved after a second 3 month block!

weight - ~108
squat: 130 (1.2)
bench: 105 (0.9)
MP: 65 (0.6) - we're doing mp's standing right?
DL: 170 (1.57)

There is a powerlifting club at my normal gym; those guys can throw big numbers! I saw a guy deadlift 300kg a few weeks back!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We're doing mp's standing right?
Yes. Military presses are always standing, if your not standing, it's not a MP. For some reason alot of youtube doesn't aggree so finding form technique vids is a little tricky.

Everybody watch Fat Head. Interesting.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ugh, I've stopped seeing gains - What am I doing wrong?
Bench press havent increased for 5 weeks (And infact dropped from 60 kg's when I missed 6 weeks in the gym). I'm at 50Kg's and doing 3x8, Last 2 in the set are mighty hard but I can get them out - I am 65kg's so I'm only a little guy. I should point out there is now recovery time for that either, So it's not like I'm training at what would seem like my maximum - Do I need a spotter and go heavier? Because I fail pretty quickly if I go any heavier

clockworked

Like an orange
Ugh, I've stopped seeing gains - What am I doing wrong?
Bench press havent increased for 5 weeks (And infact dropped from 60 kg's when I missed 6 weeks in the gym). I'm at 50Kg's and doing 3x8, Last 2 in the set are mighty hard but I can get them out - I am 65kg's so I'm only a little guy. I should point out there is now recovery time for that either, So it's not like I'm training at what would seem like my maximum - Do I need a spotter and go heavier? Because I fail pretty quickly if I go any heavier

do 5/3/1! or 5x5 stronglifts.

i can email the pdf programme to you if you like. Its a strength programme aimed mainly at powerlifters, so its not awesome for aesthetics, but it kills it at building strength

its an interesting enough read just for the guy's opinions on working out too

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Could you email that to me too? andy.drane@hotmail.com.

Update:
It's been about 3 and a half weeks since I injured myself and it feels like it's been healing well so far, so hopefully no surgery is needed. However, having not lifted or exercised in about 4 weeks, diet being all over the place and filled with crap food, going out far too much and consuming copious amounts of alcohol I have put on a bit of fat and lost a substantial mass of muscle. I won't really be able to get back into the gym till late January (at the earliest) so I'm quite disappointed about that, but will be back as soon as I can.

Have a safe holiday everyone.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
do 5/3/1! or 5x5 stronglifts.

i can email the pdf programme to you if you like. Its a strength programme aimed mainly at powerlifters, so its not awesome for aesthetics, but it kills it at building strength

its an interesting enough read just for the guy's opinions on working out too
What this guy said, both those programmes are legit as they come. Starting Strength would be fantastic for you as well.
The aesthetics thing is a myth. Strength programmes get people looking juicy as fuck in no time, with the added benefit of being stronger than the majority of 1/4 squatting, curling-in-the-squat-rack, doing it "for the bitches" shitcunts.

Nearly finished my second week of 5x5, thoroughly enjoying it so far. Way harder than 5/3/1 imo, haven't decided if that's a good thing or not.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes. Military presses are always standing, if your not standing, it's not a MP. For some reason alot of youtube doesn't aggree so finding form technique vids is a little tricky.
Personally I'm too worried about doing damage to my lower back when doing MP's, so for that reason I'll tend to do them sitting down. I can't see how standing up would give better results either, as the way I see it, the muscles targeted by the MP are independent to those required for maintaining a standing posture - ie. the relevant muscles that are used for stabilising the weights are active in both sitting down, and standing.

clockworked

Like an orange
Could you email that to me too? andy.drane@hotmail.com.
no worries - its a big file, but its on its way EDIT: not too big after all, and easy to mail

Personally I'm too worried about doing damage to my lower back when doing MP's, so for that reason I'll tend to do them sitting down. I can't see how standing up would give better results either, as the way I see it, the muscles targeted by the MP are independent to those required for maintaining a standing posture - ie. the relevant muscles that are used for stabilising the weights are active in both sitting down, and standing.
rotate your hips forward under the load, slight split stance. I thought standing made you tense your your abs and posterior chain to stabilise as well

Last edited: