Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hit 80kg for the first time ever today, stoked. Still a LONG way to go, but it's motivating to be able to see changes! Also, those electronic scales of mine are definitely wrong. BF is not varying by +/- .5% daily, muscle weight changes +/- 2kg a day etc. So I think I'll invest in some BF calipers. I'm sure my diet still needs some tweaking, but it's acceptable for the moment I think.

DL - 100kg
Squat - 90kg
Bench - 45kg.

I think I know what I need to work on the most... :(

Edit: Congrats Moto, keep up the good work! I straighten my legs when squatting, as I thrust my hips forward at the top. Technique from Rippetoe's YouTube vids.

Last edited:

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
I lost my 15th kilo today yeow!
Stoked for you! Use this as motivation to keep on achieving your goals.

I hit 80kg for the first time ever today.
I hit 80kg mid last week for the first time, so I know what you mean. It's always been that elusive target that I never seemed to reach. Unfortunately my lifts are still lower than what they were before I got injured and I feel like I have less muscle mass so that means a moderate amount of this new weight is fat, but I'm okay with that as its coming into winter and time to bulk.

my02

Likes Dirt
Found the problem. Woke up this morning with epic flu symptoms. Must of been screwing me up for the last week and it's finally come forward.

Shitballs.

I've got a busted knee and I'm squatting 1.7x bodyweight. Knee feels better then ever but when I stop squatting it starts to play up. I'm only young but I think squats shouldn't be feared.
What exactly do you mean by busted knee?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's unfortunate. Do you ever straighten your legs while squatting? some say its okay but in my (limited) experience it's bad.

And I have heard from a supplement importer that Jack3d is going to be banned soon.

and in other news I lost my 15th kilo today yeow!
Straight legs as in fully standing up? Sort of. I straighten legs as much as I can without knees rocking forward and "locking out". Gratz on the weight, Hope you took before pictures!

What exactly do you mean by busted knee?
It's not really busted anymore but it's a prior injury like most people that are worried about when squatting. I snapped my ACL and did a good job of it lol. Fair bit of other damage like torn cartilage, bruised/stretched PCL and chipped a piece off my tibia. Did it on the DH bike and it's what kick started my whole weightlifting scenario into action. Makes hectic noises after a big gym session but feels awesome.

So jelly of you 80kg farkers. I'm aiming for a really lean 75kg this year. Don't think I'll make it to 80kg unless I bulk all year but I hate being fat. However I'm 5'7 ! Manlet checking in.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So jelly of you 80kg farkers. I'm aiming for a really lean 75kg this year. Don't think I'll make it to 80kg unless I bulk all year but I hate being fat. However I'm 5'7 ! Manlet checking in.
You're looking at 80kg from wrong direction ;) I'm going up to 80kg, come summer when it's time to lose it, I expect to be mid 70's and still pushing around just under 10% bf.

moto_guy

Banned
Straight legs as in fully standing up? Sort of. I straighten legs as much as I can without knees rocking forward and "locking out". Gratz on the weight, Hope you took before pictures!
Cheers for the support guys. Can't wait to shred the next 15kg off! I don't think there are any topless before photos haha

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Quick question - is it possible that my lifts are increasing but I'm losing muscle mass? Not that I want to, but the reason I ask is I jumped back on the scales today for the first time in about 3 weeks and I'm down to 77kg from 80kg. At pretty much 6' I'm looking a little thin, but definitely showing more definition.

My lifts are almost all back to what they were before my break. I figure in a month I should be setting new PBs. Still a bit in the tank on each so might try my max's later in the week.

BW - 77kg
DL - 140kg (no belt)
Squat - 130kg (no belt)
Bench - 90kg
Military - 55kg

Pull ups - ?? Going to try tomorrow - made 15 at the end of a very tough workout so hoping to improve on the previous 21 next proper attempt.

Last edited:

moto_guy

Banned
Probably. You can certainly get alot stronger without gaining muscle mass. Story of my life.
So I got a personal trainer. He reckons it's all about your protein intake. 1g/kg body weight per day. Less then that and you muscles can burn them selves up as an energy source. Lucky for me I scored $400 worth of protein today from Muscle Pharm for free.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Enough protein is crucial, but there's more to it. Try drinking ONLY 200g-300g of protein a day and see how you go lol. I've taken 150g+ of protein a day since forever and I'm 75kg. Your training needs to cater for muscle size, I've only trained beginner style programs and like maximum 6 reps, very high intensity. Constantly stronger yes. Size stalled months ago.

I'm going to change this chalkie! Totally threw out everything I was doing before and I'm going purely off how fun it is too do and how I look. July 1st is the date for me to looked shredded as fuark regardless of size. Sick of thinking about bulking and cutting. I just want to be lean regardless of size.

Manlet checking in.

p.s. Awesome score dude! I've got 10kg of protein sitting under my bed lol. $200.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Quick question - is it possible that my lifts are increasing but I'm losing muscle mass
Good chance, though it's entirely possible that loss was from fat.

Speaking of protein scores, got a Coles group gift card the other day. Straight to the protein section, got a tub. Lol.

Aiming for that 200kg Deadlift in 3 weeks, wish me luck guise!

Last edited:

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
I'm going to change this chalkie! Totally threw out everything I was doing before and I'm going purely off how fun it is too do and how I look. July 1st is the date for me to looked shredded as fuark regardless of size. Sick of thinking about bulking and cutting. I just want to be lean regardless of size.

Manlet checking in.

p.s. Awesome score dude! I've got 10kg of protein sitting under my bed lol. $200.
I hear you there mate. Screw the constant battle with food, the bulking, cuting, making sure you're not dropping even a gram. I think I'm going to stop looking at the scales and just keep getting fitter, getting stronger and planning to look ripped all year round I say. Definitely tired of trying to push my body to be something it isn't - work with what you got.

Been incorporating some crazy high intensity stuff plus strength days which I'm loving. Small but ripped, super strong and lifting more than all the beef cake body builders sounds good to me.

Oh and bring on 2 x body weight squats. 3 months and I should be there.

Last edited:

my02

Likes Dirt
Quick question - is it possible that my lifts are increasing but I'm losing muscle mass?

Neurological adaptation.

Simply explained to me as "your body is able to use more of what it already has".

Unlikely you're losing muscle mass. Perhaps dehydration? Have you made any significant changes to your diet?

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Neurological adaptation.
Simply explained to me as "your body is able to use more of what it already has".
Unlikely you're losing muscle mass. Perhaps dehydration? Have you made any significant changes to your diet?
I mean, I'm pretty confident it's fat. I'm probably eating very marginally (we're talking maybe one piece of bread, or a bit of yogurt less) but no significant diet changes. I think it can mostly be attributed to adding a game of indoor soccer a week and increasing the intensity of my workouts. I guess what I'm getting at is whether its possible to use strength as an indicator as to whether you're losing muscle mass during a cut, or are the two independent of each other...? If I'm cutting and my weights are increasing can I safely assume I'm not eating into muscle?

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
This subject has been hilarious, been reading through it for a few days now, it shows that the average person will believe anything that is told to them by a personal trainer or advertised on television. Although its very hard for the average person to access quality research based advice. That being said there is also some very cluey people on here too.

So I got a personal trainer. He reckons it's all about your protein intake. 1g/kg body weight per day. Less then that and you muscles can burn them selves up as an energy source. Lucky for me I scored $400 worth of protein today from Muscle Pharm for free.
Thats not enough, research has shown you need .88g/kg/per day to maintain muscle mass, current research suggests that 1.62g/kg per day is optimal, any more than that and its basically going to be sotred as fat, if you're doing a cycle of riods, who knows what that may do to protein metabolism. I

Enough protein is crucial, but there's more to it. Try drinking ONLY 200g-300g of protein a day and see how you go lol. I've taken 150g+ of protein a day since forever and I'm 75kg. Your training needs to cater for muscle size, I've only trained beginner style programs and like maximum 6 reps, very high intensity. Constantly stronger yes. Size stalled months ago.
Yikes 200-300g per day? who recommends that besides the person who sells the stuff and hence wants your money. Training has no relation to muscle mass/size, the same techniques are used regardless of training status, with the exception of the various forms of steroids ie, shorter rest times needed, longer rep ranges possible to maximise the metabolic effect. beginner style programs are typically not 6rep / high intensity, that's a great strength program with minimal hypertrophy, hence why your strength is increasing as size is attenuated, a very good approach for sports training.

Eat a balanced diet, protein supplements are a waste of money. Once you are moderately trained you cannot cut and put on mass, putting on mass requires a calorie surplus - yes you NEED lots of carbs to get bigger - where to you think the energy for protein synthesis comes from, cutting requires a calorie deficit.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ALL My information comes straight from places like PubMed and from very reputable trainers. No Bro-science here! I'm not investing thousands of hours into learning if it's wrong.

I don't know the exact figure but 1.62g/kg sounds pretty good. I see 1.5g-2g per kg posted everywhere. More then that can't hurt, it's just excess calories. I mentioned "200g-300g" as a joke in reference to moto_guy's PT that said that protein is everything. As you say later on, No it's not. There's plenty more to it.

Whilst your a beginner (which most people in here are) you can add muscle and lose fat at the same time. It's just hard and slow. "Protein intake can limit LBM losses" Also, LBM can be increased if protein intake is high and the deficit is small see here.

I have to disagree with the "Training has no relation to muscle mass/size" though, How is it then that a powerlifter can be absolutley tiny compared to a bodybuilder at the same level of strength (1RM's)? Even at the same bodyweight? If you want big muscles you need to train differently to if you want strength. Which you even state yourself later... "beginner style programs are typically not 6rep / high intensity, that's a great strength program with minimal hypertrophy"

A beginner program wouldn't exactly be 6rep high intensity stuff but that's just what mine turned into as I focused more and more on big numbers. Compound lifts, 8reps, 70-80% intensity and high frequency seems to be the consistent theme.

Last edited: