Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen that video a few times and many like it. Most (all) magazines are like that but to be fair the guy had to be pretty big in the first place to get the after shot. You can look awesome but be skeptical on the time frame and of course the "hormones" side of thing.

I just went through my training log on AusBB and realised I was stronger and lighter last November then I am now. I know exactly why (2month holiday + 2month injury) but it's still crazy.

Awesome motivation to push harder!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So a gym membership whilst I'm overseas will cost me $200, for less than a month. Since I can't afford that, has anyone got some exercise suggestions (for chest/lats/back/arms) that I can do with no equipment? I figure pushups (and variations of) are pretty good, but is there anything else? I could probably find a tree to do a few chinups on, but it's pretty f'ing cold to be working out, outside.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Protein intake

Every few weeks the research institute I work in has either national or international researchers come in and present their work, sometimes its ok and other times meh, today was awesome.

Had Professor Paddon-Jones in from Texas, who specializes in protein and muscle mass. He had some really interesting comments.

Protein intake obviously causes synthesis in muscle, but it peaks at 30g per ingestion, so any more than that at one intake and you are only making yourself fatter.

There needs to be a time break between intakes, if you constantly ingest protein, synthesis spikes, goes back to normal and doesn't raise above resting levels. So you need at least several hours between protein intake.

Timing of intake isn't as important as people make out - he stated the old research was/has been taken out of context.

having a daily protein intake is stupid... because if you have 80g in one meal, 50g is wasted - even if you are getting your daily requirement. Aim for 30g every meal.

Protein supplements do work, lecuine is especially good as it 'appears' to turn on muscle synthesis - they use it in NASA to maintain astronauts muscle mass in space.

That's all I can remember - could be bothered digging around for the refs.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Thanks, guys. Really happy. I've got new numbers if we're still doing the leaderboard thing.

@MWII, how do you reckon guys who are trying to hit in the vicinity of 150-200g of protein a day get their intake then? Doesn't bother me, I only supplement about 60g of the stuff in powders a day, but I reckon there would be some big dogs out there just pissing the stuff away.

Mywifesirrational

Thanks, guys. Really happy. I've got new numbers if we're still doing the leaderboard thing.

@MWII, how do you reckon guys who are trying to hit in the vicinity of 150-200g of protein a day get their intake then? Doesn't bother me, I only supplement about 60g of the stuff in powders a day, but I reckon there would be some big dogs out there just pissing the stuff away.
The interesting thing is I am currently on 160g a day based on 1.6 x body weight, and was getting to 80-100g pretty easily via diet, without over eating and using some protein supplementation to make up the difference.

But I was not ingesting enough in the mornings and way to much at night, hence wasting opportunity in the morning, and making myself fat at night.

Most seriously large fellows I know are having six meals a day at about a 3 hr spacing, often getting up a 2-3am for some tucker. Judging from the professors work, as long as its about 30g Prot. a meal, thats pretty spot on. Sometimes body builders get it right :)

I don't want to eat 6 meals a day, so I am going to suppliment mid morning, have a later lunch and suppliment late evening, to try and minimise catabolism during the night. Most of the idiots I chat to at the gym will take 60-80g in one hit before or after gym... metabolising it into fat... I won't tell them any different, they don't want to hear it.

My diet is working something like this... Although if I hit a week of cycle commuting (350km) - when some prick hasn't stolen my bike i'll taper off gym and increase the carbs a little. Balancing cycling and getting buff is the challenge for me.

Brekky:

150g Steak
halk a glass of milk
half bow of porridge.

mid morning:

30g protein
fruit

Lunch

Salmon / Tuna
Ham cheese sandwhich
Eggs

Dinner

More red meat, fish, chicken + veges / salad

Supper:

30g Protien drink

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you know how protein digestion rates play a role in that MWI?

What if you consumed 50g of Protein from eggs (2g/hr) instead of 50g of Whey Isolate protein (10g/hour), will you absorb more AA's and there'll be less waste?

Was there any talk about the length of the break between meals or is that too variable between people?

Plow King

Little bit.
Im seriously concidering intermittent fasting. Seen some people get awesome results with it. It goes against everything in any textbook but apparently increases hgh and people who have done it havnt lost any muscle and have even got stronger whilst cutting fat like crazy.

Mywifesirrational

Do you know how protein digestion rates play a role in that MWI?

What if you consumed 50g of Protein from eggs (2g/hr) instead of 50g of Whey Isolate protein (10g/hour), will you absorb more AA's and there'll be less waste?

Was there any talk about the length of the break between meals or is that too variable between people?
Sorry are we talking about 50g in one intake (of either say eggs or AA's) or either 2/10g every hour all day?

The most effective way was not dependant on type of protein source, they tried steak, eggs, milk and essential amino acids - no difference in results (besides say convenience).

Regardless of how you get you protein, there was a refractory period following the sharp increase in protein synthesis, this lasted a few hours (sorry can;t remember exact timing). When/if you took protein to soon afterwards there was no increase in muscle syntheis therefore no benefit. I'll try and find the exact timing for the refactory period - I do remembering him say whey protein is fast, it'll take about 15 mins to reach peak muscle synthesis for it, whilst something like a steak takes about 90 mins.

Another interesting thing - the Prof. compared geriatrics to healthy fit people and the timing and level increase of synthesis was the same... this might suggest (loosely) the more muscle makes little difference to timing and intake, as the geriatrics had significantly less muscle than the healthies, similar % difference than a BB and non trained healthy adult.

Im seriously concidering intermittent fasting. Seen some people get awesome results with it. It goes against everything in any textbook but apparently increases hgh and people who have done it havnt lost any muscle and have even got stronger whilst cutting fat like crazy.
Yeah, I coped a polite piss off in the stupid questions thread about this :) My answer was non conformist I guess.

What time period of fasting are you thinking of? the larger the time (to a point) results in greater levels of protein synthesis and insulin activity when you do eat, which is a good thing. No idea of the timing around 4-6 hrs (guessing?).

The main problem with fasting is protein synthesis goes into negative balance and muscle starts to break down. Even sleeping each night with a 10hr fast will cause this - the most metabilically active people on the planet are teenage burns victims, skin repair takes a amazing amount of energy, they infuse these poor buggers several times a night to try and keep them above neutral protein synthesis.

I guess supplementing AA, particularly leucine, will help increase protein synthesis and attenuate or decrease the rate of catabolism in the muscle during times of fast - or immediately prior to.

Plow King

Little bit.
Yeah was think 18 hours of fasting. Keeping the window from 2pm to 8pm.

Have been watching the kings of broscience (twinmuscleworkout) on youtube and they cant speak highly enough about it)

Zam

Likes Dirt
Seriously guys i think you overthinking things WAY too much....

I have been around bodybuilding and bodybuilders for a fair amount of time and unless you are at the peak of competative bodybuilding your just over complicating things for the sake of overcomplicating things.

Work out your diet and the macro you want to hit for the day, then plan you diet around that, meal timing and 3, 6, or 10 meals a day doesnt really make that much of a noticable difference, one of the reasons it became popular in BBing circles was that competative BBers consume such a large volume of food and cals that it became easier to break it down to smaller meals throughout the day to achieve their calorie goals, timing and number of meals wasn't really a BIG part of it.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously guys i think you overthinking things WAY too much....
I like talking about it and learning. What I actually do in the real world is very relaxed! Lol. I think consistancy, effort and a basic understanding of everything is all that's needed. Going into detail like we are is purely for knowledge on the subject.

Zam

Likes Dirt
I like talking about it and learning. What I actually do in the real world is very relaxed! Lol. I think consistancy, effort and a basic understanding of everything is all that's needed. Going into detail like we are is purely for knowledge on the subject.
All good mate, as they say knowledge is power and it all helps, just thought i would put it out there, from personal experience that some take things to the extreme when in general is unneccessary to so and the effects of of all this are negligable at best.....

But as you have said consistency and a baisc under standing as well as effort and lifting heavy in the gyms is where the results are made...