Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Sweet read MWII, thanks. What's your current routine look like, if you don't mind me asking?
My program is really simple, I rarely change exercises and modify the reps, sets + intensity depending on how I am periodising.

Current program - Abbreviated program, 30mins, making great strength gains. x2 weekly 3 days apart. 2 min rest between sets.

Squats or Deadlifts 4x6-8
Bench or dips 4x6-8
Lat pulldowns or 1 arm rows 4x6-8
go home.

If I am looking at more pure strength maybe 6x3-5 reps; 3-4 min rest - but this blows the time of to nearly an hour.
If I am tapering down for a week or two 3x10-12; 1 min rest, pretty easy intensity

Seems to work for me, albeit I'm interested in strength not mass, I would do a lot more volume, reduced intensity and more isolated movements if that was the case. Many ways to skin this cat.

Seriously guys i think you overthinking things WAY too much....

I have been around bodybuilding and bodybuilders for a fair amount of time and unless you are at the peak of competative bodybuilding your just over complicating things for the sake of overcomplicating things.

Work out your diet and the macro you want to hit for the day, then plan you diet around that, meal timing and 3, 6, or 10 meals a day doesnt really make that much of a noticable difference, one of the reasons it became popular in BBing circles was that competative BBers consume such a large volume of food and cals that it became easier to break it down to smaller meals throughout the day to achieve their calorie goals, timing and number of meals wasn't really a BIG part of it.
I'll disagree a little bit, I only have so much time to train, maximising the benefit from meals and timing them so means I get the best results for my effort in the gym. If you serious about building strength or mass it's a sensible approach. Is it needed for the average bloke in the gym to make good gains, no, but if we both trained for 10 years I'd be a mile in front.

The timing of meals has shown to be critical in maintaining mass during bed rest, weightlessness and other clinical environments, I can only assume (?) that its as important when training as a healthy individual. Not much research on this in healthy training individuals, as it's not considered to be an important factor, when there is a very finite supply of research funds.

I like talking about it and learning. What I actually do in the real world is very relaxed! Lol. I think consistancy, effort and a basic understanding of everything is all that's needed. Going into detail like we are is purely for knowledge on the subject.
Yes, I come from a pretty solid academic background based around strength training, whether it be for clinical pops. or recreational to elite athletes. It's simply interesting to discuss these things in detail. I imagine, I know more than most people about training and hypertrophy, but the discussions on here lead me off on random and interesting literature searches in which I learn more. And understanding what people are actually doing (and why) outside of research and academia is extremely valuable.

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All good mate, as they say knowledge is power and it all helps, just thought i would put it out there, from personal experience that some take things to the extreme when in general is unneccessary to so and the effects of of all this are negligable at best.....

But as you have said consistency and a baisc under standing as well as effort and lifting heavy in the gyms is where the results are made...
A lesson that took me awhile to learn and which ALOT of people don't understand.

spj

Likes Bikes
Yeah was think 18 hours of fasting. Keeping the window from 2pm to 8pm.

Have been watching the kings of broscience (twinmuscleworkout) on youtube and they cant speak highly enough about it)

Check out the latest issue (or maybe the one before that) of the magazine Mens Fitness, had an article on fasting. Can't recall how much detail it went into though.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Started something new today. Modified version of 5/3/1, based off what powerlifter Ben Rice was doing. Basically everything gets hit twice a week in this manner:
Day 1) Deads + bench assistance
Day 2) Squats + OHP assitance
Day 3)Bench + Deadlift assistance
Day 4) OHP + Squat assistance

Or something along those lines. Should be interesting, deads + bench assistance today was weird. Kinda cool though.

Last edited:

spj

Likes Bikes
Bit of an update. Went home for uni holidays and lost about 5 kilos (down to 75ish atm), (lack of college food and access to a proper gym). Trying to pack it back on now. Just bought some protein for the first time so it'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference at all.

Just got an email today from Mens Fitness, I entered some competition (or maybe its just a column?) titled "How have you been keeping fit?". Got a reply today asking for me to send in some photos of me working out and they will publish it, kind of excited but I can't remember if there was a prize or not?

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I guess supplementing AA, particularly leucine, will help increase protein synthesis and attenuate or decrease the rate of catabolism in the muscle during times of fast - or immediately prior to.
Wouldn't that break the fast though? If you consume some BCAA (or maybe just leucine) during the fasting period do you still get the same benefits re: increased protein synthesis when you do eat?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Wouldn't that break the fast though? If you consume some BCAA (or maybe just leucine) during the fasting period do you still get the same benefits re: increased protein synthesis when you do eat?
I was mostly refering to Plow Kings 18 hour fast, taking AA but particularly leucine immediately prior to will minimise the effect of being in a catabolic state - especially if you took a scoop every 4-6 hours, taking during a fast would break it, depending on how you want to define fasting. I'm not sure of the mechanisms that may (?) be making one lean and muscular by doing this type of fasting - so maybe any calorie intake maybe bad?

It is better to mix you AA with crab intake - Carb intake will spike insulin, a very potent anabolic hormone, which in turn also increases the uptake of AA to the muscle causing greater rates of protein synthesis than if AA were consumed on their own. But taking AA in a catabolic environment appears to makes them more potent - more bang for your buck so to speak. But ultimately if you are purely worried about making as much muscle as possible, much better to take them in the presence of carbs.

Personally I would buy a protein powder with no carbs included (I find the specific BCAA or leucine too expensive for what it is), then i would add carbs to my mix based how how much I had been eating that day, that way you get more control over total calorie intake. So if I am not going to train for a few days I'll taper down my total calorie intake but still maintain about 1.6g/kg/day of protein.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I mixed up the routine yesterday.

I ran 3km in 21mins. Lol. For me that is huge because I never run, ever.

*pointless story to bump thread*

Anyone doing something awesome? Anyone want to do a pullup or pushup comp?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Bunch of little injuries holding me back the last 2 weeks. But progress has been great up until now. Hovering around 87kg bodyweight. Squatted 160kg x 2, Deadlifted 192.5kg x 5. Still only benching 110. Lulz.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I'm on your mission, I peaked at 136.7 after Easter. Was 120.7 last Saturday, almost half way there. Tips?
get on the trainer and get as much work done as you can in 60 to 90 mins. Drink a lot of water. Up to 5 times per week. I did 60 to 90 min sessions 3 times per week and lost 17 kg (90 to 73) in about 3 months.

Well done on your achievement. You should be proud of yourself. I bet you feel pretty good too!

Plow King

Little bit.
Just tried craze went for a work out. Fuaarkk. 3 + hours later. Started with shoulders. Then back. Then legs. More shoulders and then some arms. Errrrything is going to hurt tommorrow

Its not comparitable to jack3d as it doesnt feel like you have just injected meth directly into your eyeball.

But i think i set a new pb for just about every bodypart after they had all been annihilated.

Do recommend.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2nd session back after 5 weeks off, got out a 1x4 2x bodyweight (165kg) for deadlift! Stoked! Got some pretty solid blood blisters under my palm calluses now though :eek:hwell:

dej

Likes Bikes
135kg Before 100kg Now Does that make me the rotorburn biggest looser?
nice one:)
126 for me (in 2001/2002), now 79
has taken a long time however. got to 79 back in 2009 mainly due to running 3 times a week, then got bad itb issues
stopped running, went back to 88kg, now i'm working a lot on maintaining a good diet and also go to a gym 2 or 3 times a week (other days i ride the bike)

have been following a paleo style diet for the past couple months. find it's working quite well

moto_guy

Banned
I'm on your mission, I peaked at 136.7 after Easter. Was 120.7 last Saturday, almost half way there. Tips?
Plan your meals for the week and stick to it. 3-6 small meals a day 2-4hrs apart. Eat good clean carbs. Excercise for atleast 30mins a day and it will all fall off in no time.

The bigest part of weight loss for me was realiseing that you have to change your life if you want to loose lots of weight. Sitting on the couch and hopeing it will happen one day will never work. You need to work hard, be commited and set achiveable goals. Good Luck!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've gotten myself into a little groove that is working really well at the moment. Just going with the flow and "just doing it".

Diet is pretty much bacon & eggs for brekky (with toast and coffee), Subway footlong for lunch and anything remotely healthy for dinner with maybe 1 or two servings of WPC in between. 1900 calories a day, ~150g protein ~80g fat ~120g carbs. On bad days my fat jumps up and protein drops. (Fast food).

Lifting Bench/chest/tri Monday, Squats Tuesday, Deadlift+Back Thursday, Shoulders Friday. Ride once on the weekend (XC) and thats it.

Losing fat and building muscle at the moment. Literally. I'm 3.5kg lighter, bigger measurements (+3cm on chest +1cm on arms +2 on legs) and ALOT leaner. Can see veins and muscles everywhere but not quite Abs level, but it's flat. 11-12%?

Feels good man. Lift+Eat+Sleep+Ride.

Summer is approaching!!

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
Losing fat and building muscle at the moment. Literally. I'm 3.5kg lighter, bigger measurements (+3cm on chest +1cm on arms +2 on legs) and ALOT leaner.
sounds awesome - i hate when people say you can't do both at the same time.

me, i've decided to stop being a pussy and just squat more. i'm hitting squats every day and not really worrying about the rest of the session so long as i'm doing 40 or 50 squats. front is at 75kg, low-back is way under-developed and currently at 90kg (pb is a similarly under-developed 120kg but i'm keen to get back there and smash through it).

by the end of the year i'd like 1xBW bench, 1.5xBW squat and 2xBW dead for 5 reps - at the moment i only have ~170kg on the weight tree so to avoid having to buy more weights i'm just going to try and get my weight under 85kg. sound logic, right?