Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
The post-workout meal has quite a bit of fat. I've always avoided getting too much fat straight after a workout for a few reasons:
  • it slows digestion
  • it delays gastric emptying
  • it lowers the GI of a meal, blunting insulin response, which has a few disadvantages if you are trying to build or maintain muscle
I should have clarified I'm having 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white to reduce the fat a little. Added in some lean pork sausages this morning to get the total protein intake up to pretty much bang on 30g. Have also cut the avocado out but still totally around 15g of Fat (sausage has around 5g). Thinking this is probably a little high. Any breakfast suggestions to be hitting all my macros?

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Swapping your post-workout meal with your mid-morning snack would work well, but that may not be possible due to timing with work etc.

Straight after your workout you could have some BCAAs and carbs (a banana would be good here), then 15 -30 minutes later have the eggs on toast. Just slightly adjust the portions in your other meals to keep the daily macros/calories the same.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Been lurking this thread for ages without posting anything, so here goes. Quick update.
Sitting at around 87kg up from about 82 at the start of May. Progress has been going really well, managed 200kg x 3 on deadlifts last night, which I'm super happy with. Starting next week I'm going to do a mini-cut type thing, just to get my power:weight ration in check + because my cardio needs a bit of a kick up the arse.
Super stoked to see everyone is keeping with it and gaining results!
And a huge thanks to everyone contributing to the plethora of information we now have in this thread.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After a good 12 months of procrastination I've finally bitten the bullet and sorted myself out with a gym membership. Day 1 and i've encountered my first (predicted) problem.

How do I best fit the gym work around my fairly intense kickboxing training? Training kickboxing 2-3 days a week and generally there is always a small degree of DOMS the following day which makes fitting in 3 gym sessions a bit difficult. My best guess at a solution, and what most of the kickboxing guys tend to do, is to hit the gym straight after a kickboxing session. Obviously it will impact negatively on the lifting to some degree, but the lifting is purely to supplement the kickboxing.

is there a better way of doing this?

Last edited:

spj

Likes Bikes
Can anyone on here do muscleups? Got any tips?

I'm at the stage where with a kip I'm almost getting on top of the bar, I feel that if my legs managed to swing back further after the chin up my chest would rotate around the bar making the dip a little easier.

I will have to buy some gloves as well as its ripping my hands to shreds.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can do 20+ pullups of any variation at any time, any where. Same with dips. But can not do a muscle up :eek:hwell: MadRidingEngineer can do a few I beleive, Not sure how he does them though. Getting the kip right I think is key to learning but IMO Kipping = cheating.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Good question and it's always been that way. Despite training them equally by the end of last year, squat was 140kg and dead was only 130kg. I think its a few things - weirdly small hands mean I find it really hard to do hook grip, so I struggle with holding onto the bar during deads (plus I don't like using those wrist rope things). I don't lift with a belt? I also think my arms are slightly disproportionately short, making deads that bit harder. Strangely too my legs are also the only place I can quickly pack on muscle. If someone could actually explain it though, I'd love to know.
Chalkie (or any other knowledgeable souls), I sort of go in and out of weightlifting/cardio phases as the seasons go around, but I'd really like to just start some sort of Crossfit-inspired all-year-round workout that I can do at home with kettlebells, skipping ropes, my road bike, my running shoes, doorframes (for pull ups etc) and whatever else I'll need. Something that's going to keep me reasonably fit and reasonably strong. I've been through Rippetoes to swimming/cycling/running training for triathlons and I'm really just looking for something that I can do a few times a week, at home, to maintain a reasonable level of overall fitness.

I have a few ideas but would like to see what you guys think. Any thoughts on a plan or equipment needed?

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can do a fair bit of upper body work with a pullup bar. Overhand, underhand, dip from on top of the bar, row from underneath (maybe need adjustable rings for this), leg raises and a whole lot of other similar excercises.

Ride the roadie up some steep mountains for cardio fitness and leg strength +size, Sprints/Burpees/Skip/HIIT etc. for abit extra.

You will need to add weight probably to maintain a comfortable physique but a few lumps of concrete in a backpack will do. Get creative! Or buy a home gym setup.

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
I can do 20+ pullups of any variation at any time, any where. Same with dips. But can not do a muscle up :eek:hwell: MadRidingEngineer can do a few I beleive, Not sure how he does them though. Getting the kip right I think is key to learning but IMO Kipping = cheating.
Yeah kipping as far a gymnastics and strength goes is cheating. Allthough Steve-O if you can do that number of pullups and dips your more than strong enough to do a muscleup. Its all in the technique.

Ive done 30 (kipping for time in ~9mins). But if you keep them proper and strict with full turn-out at the bottom i can get 5-7 in a row.

That link that 'dontfeelcold' posted is gold. If your starting out try it in a false grip and semi flexed(some people find the flexibility at full hand makes a nice false grip hard to hold). It helps with the transition alot. Pull further than you think (think chest to bar pull ups).

also if you can start practicing the transitions while sitting on the ground. Just so you know what its meant to feel like.

Plow King

Little bit.
In other news. I decided to grab a new protien shake as i havnt touched the stuff in months mainly due to taste. But i had a syntha 6 banana rdo last year and remembered how awesome it tasted. So i grabbed a 2.25kg one for $95 on special. Holy hell it tastes good. It tastes exactly like a banana milkshake.

In other news. Steve - o. Craze is x 150 the best pwo i have ever tried. Do reccomend.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt

I'm at the stage where with a kip I'm almost getting on top of the bar, I feel that if my legs managed to swing back further after the chin up my chest would rotate around the bar making the dip a little easier.

I will have to buy some gloves as well as its ripping my hands to shreds.

I'm also interested in learning. Annoyingly my gym has very low ceilings though so physically can't do them without going through the roof. Similar to steve-o I can do 20+ pullups and about 5 clap chinups. Just can't seem to get the technique right. The link you posted though 'dontfeelcold' has some great tips in it, will have to try apply some of it.

I have a few ideas but would like to see what you guys think. Any thoughts on a plan or equipment needed?
Ideally a barbell would be good but you can do most stuff with kettle bells. I'd also invest in some 1.5" or 2" thick manila rope, great for a whole bunch of climbing related exercises and pullups. Can also do this type of stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxAXKWtD8ak. I'd probably look at doing lots of compound exercises done in a circuit, think Squat to shoulder press, power cleans, Kettle bell swings, pushup + row, t pushups, plank,
pullups, reverse pullups, dips, etc. throw in 1 minute double under skipping or sprints in between. Keep it high intensity and less than 45 minutes.

Last edited:

Zam

Likes Dirt
In other news. I decided to grab a new protien shake as i havnt touched the stuff in months mainly due to taste. But i had a syntha 6 banana rdo last year and remembered how awesome it tasted. So i grabbed a 2.25kg one for $95 on special. Holy hell it tastes good. It tastes exactly like a banana milkshake.

In other news. Steve - o. Craze is x 150 the best pwo i have ever tried. Do reccomend.
WOW, $95 for 2.25kg is sooooooooooooooooo over priced protein....

Plow King

Little bit.
Yes i know lol. But i figured there wasnt much point in spending $120 on 5kg that i wont drink. As apposed to $90 on 2 i will use. Its syntha 6 it has 6 different protien types in it.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So after being plagued by injuries for the past 6 weeks or so, my physio (who also lifts) has told me to back off all my training, as my joints are just not conditioned enough and I'm overloading them more than they can handle. Consequently, he's told me to start looking for different programs, away from the style of Mark Rippetoe's beginner program, and to be performing ~8rm for a few months whilst I heal/condition. This is where I'm getting a bit worried though, as looking at programs that seem to fit this order, I can't help but feel I've now been pushed down the path of isolation exercises and generic misinformation that seems to come with bodybuilding forums.

I've been trying to get onto the Westside Barbell website for a while now (which isn't working), and I've also been suggested Catalyst Athletics/Kelly Starrett/Robb Wolf, all of which seem to be more Crossfit orientated and not really what I'm after.

Can anyone suggest somewhere for me to look?

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Question for MWI - what do you know about training with varying rep ranges? I used to train using the standard 12-ish week blocks of each rep range, but in the last 12 months I tried something different.

I periodise the main lifts (squat, bench, dead, row) like this:

- 5 week volume load (increasing volume each week, equal tested PB in 4th week then go for new PB in 5th week). I work up to 5 reps, then back the weight off and go for 8 - 12 reps. Assistance work is 2 - 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps.

-4 week deload (drop sets/reps and increase weight over 4 weeks, going for small PB in 4th week). Through this phase I work up to 3 reps, then back the weight off and go for 8 - 12 reps. Assistance work is 2 - 4 sets of 5 - 6 reps. Total volume is way way lower than the loading phase.

Downhill injuries notwithstanding, I've had good results. So my actual question - are the different rep ranges within the same training session counterproductive? Eg, during the deload phase I work up to a heavy triple and then do 12+ reps of the same exercise straight after. I'd be really interested in your thoughts on this.